Metric v. American

rickeieio

Metric v. American  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use on your bed an/or tie downs?

• Metric
    • 'Murican

Tractor Supply doesn't sell metric in their "by the pound" nut and bolt bin.  Any new bolt on my truck is SAE grade 2, 5 or 8 depending on location.  SAE cost less and availability is much better.  I carry both metric and SAE wrenches and sockets in my tool boxes.

7 hours ago, noteven said:

you cannot divide metric by three. So there

You assume I can divide in the first place.  Heck, at my age, it's not safe to multiply either.

I have a metric assortment in the shop, so it's just a matter of  reaching in the appropriate bins.  I have a limited space for tools, so am thinking that since both bikes, the car, and the truck are metric, I might as well stay with that.

I was killing time once, wandering through a large well know store while waiting on the (then) wife. It was a large store that most are familiar with. I don't want to give them any negative press but their initials are K-Mart.

As I walked down the cheap tool aisle I observed a wrench labeled as "Crescent Wrench". On the peg right next to it was the same wrench labeled "Metric Crescent Wrench".

I spent days wondering how many Aggies (I'm in Texas..aggie jokes are still politically correct, aren't they?) bought one of each, not knowing which one they needed. Later I began to wish I was the marketing genius that figured out how to sell more Crescent Wrenches. 

12 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I was killing time once, wandering through a large well know store while waiting on the (then) wife. It was a large store that most are familiar with. I don't want to give them any negative press but their initials are K-Mart.

As I walked down the cheap tool aisle I observed a wrench labeled as "Crescent Wrench". On the peg right next to it was the same wrench labeled "Metric Crescent Wrench".

I spent days wondering how many Aggies (I'm in Texas..aggie jokes are still politically correct, aren't they?) bought one of each, not knowing which one they needed. Later I began to wish I was the marketing genius that figured out how to sell more Crescent Wrenches. 

Metric wrenches are left hand thread

Imperial wrenches are right hand thread

........:D

On 1/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, Big5er said:

Phil, the marketing guys actually had the factory mark a scale on the wrenches for a while. One was marked in inches on the frame and the movable jaw had a reference mark to line up with the scale to get you close to the size you needed. The SAE wrench did the same except it was marked in sixteenth's of an inch.

That went well for sales until someone asked why they didn't put metric on one side and SAE on the other side.