Storage space on a MDT ?

Grassy

We are moving into long timers and  planning fairly long hauls.

The DW was wondering if anyone has built or buy a storage system for all that wasted space on the back of our trucks.

I don't think a totter box would work...

Any help is appreciated..

Ian

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Other than a 5th hitch, nada. 

The toolbox is interesting but want something a lot larger than maybe runs from cab to the hitch.

This is a really bad pic of the truck when I got it ..looks quite different now..

i-QRNNtwp-L.jpg

As long as I was under or away from the sweep of the 5th, I think I am ok..  but we don't want to block off the rear windows..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Hi Glenn,

The truck is in storage at the moment .. but I would think there is 6 foot between hitch and cab.

Is there something off the shell or do I need to fabricate one ? 

I hate to resort to tupperware boxes :)

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

I ordered my boxes from American Trucklboxes. They are heavy duty and built to my size. Mine are 30" deep, 26' tall. Have 2 60" long. One 28" long. Many build their own but I don't have a shop to work at. We full-time. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Be careful about putting boxes on the bed.  You need a minimum of 55" of clearance forward of the 5th wheel hitch jaws, and preferably 60" just to be safe.  This is calculated based on the widest possible 5th wheel trailer (102") divided by 2 (102/2=51).  Then add a few inches for clearance (51+4=55).  You need this clearance to allow for the trailer to go to 90 degrees to the truck when turning/backing.

Measure the back of your cab to the 5th wheel hitch jaws (center point of the hitch) then subtract a minimum of 55" from that measurement.  This is the widest box you can put up against the back of the cab on the bed of the truck.  You also said you do not want to block the view from the rear window of your truck.  This means the tallest your box can be is from the floor of the bed to the bottom of the window.  With these two limiting measurements, you will quickly discover the largest box you can have on the bed of your truck.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

oh oh....  and crud. 

My 5th doesn't overhang the hitch. If the boxes were of lower height than the top of the pin box,  I still could be in a position while backing up where contact  could be made with the trailer.

Glad I asked and when the snow starts to go away, I shall be measuring.

Thanks all.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Google Stalick Conversion(no longer in business) and  Mountain Master in Phoenix(I assume they are still in business).  We had  Stalick and loved all the storage plus we had our bikes on the toolbox in the bed.

I don't think we had any 55" of space in front of the hitch. The most you wouldd need would be about half your trailer width.

28 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I don't think we had any 55" of space in front of the hitch. The most you wouldd need would be about half your trailer width.

51" is half a wide body 5er (102").  The extra 4 inches to get to 55 is for clearance when turning on uneven ground.  You don't want your truck/trailer leaning into the other on an up hill/downhill turn.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My old International had a Highway Products bed that included a center storage area behind the cab that was probably 40"x30"x18" deep as well as shallow storage (6") over the wheel wells that had gull wing lids.  TONS of storage.  Have a look at https://www.highwayproducts.com/highwayman-rv-hauler-tow-body for some ideas. 

Tried to upload a photo of my old rig but system would not take it.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

18 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I ordered my boxes from American Trucklboxes. They are heavy duty and built to my size. Mine are 30" deep, 26' tall. Have 2 60" long. One 28" long. Many build their own but I don't have a shop to work at. We full-time. 

Hi Glenn,

What material are your boxes made of ? Steel or aluminum ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If you are looking for something inexpensive, consider 2 or 3 drawer lateral files behind the cab.    They are not water tight but they are pretty well covered.      Most lateral files are about 40" wide and 18-19" deep, two side by side would likely fit perfectly on your bed.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Grassy,

I was not suggesting you buy a new bed, just trying to give you some ideas.  They are expensive - I think they are around $26K today.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

11 hours ago, lenp said:

Grassy,

I was not suggesting you buy a new bed, just trying to give you some ideas.  They are expensive - I think they are around $26K today.

Lenp

Len,

I appreciated the link.

I thought about it...they look good.  We do have a metal fabricator locally ( he builds firetrucks / ambulances)  ..  he is booked a year in advance I think..  I talked to him a couple of years ago when I thought I could convert a mdt myself.

What we now have above in this thread  are ideas that my DW and I can thrash around which is move than we have when I asked the question.

Thanks, Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Have you looked at the ones designed for your rig and offered by Sportchassis?  We have them on our 2015 and we have a ton of storage.  There is one on each side of the bed and a massive one on the rear of the cab.  

http://www.sportchassis.com/options/exterior/saddle-bag-storage-unit

http://www.sportchassis.com/options/exterior/bolt-on-storage-unit-treadplate

On 1/6/2018 at 6:10 AM, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

Have you looked at the ones designed for your rig and offered by Sportchassis?  We have them on our 2015 and we have a ton of storage.  There is one on each side of the bed and a massive one on the rear of the cab.  

http://www.sportchassis.com/options/exterior/saddle-bag-storage-unit

http://www.sportchassis.com/options/exterior/bolt-on-storage-unit-treadplate

There is a lot of wasted space on the back...tapping into it like the honda truck did is interesting...but would have to be very waterproof..

Interesting.  Thanks !

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

• 4 weeks later...

Archived