Jump to content

GM's version of "Mobley"


Recommended Posts

I am very happy with my AT&T Unlimted Mobey plan for $20 a month.  My new GMC Denali came with OnStar, which has a local in car hotspot, also through AT&T.  So when the 6 month trial period ended I signed up for the GM version of Mobley, that is, $20/month for unlimited LTE.  We use it enough in car to justify the $20.

Unlike with Ford, the GM is integrated with the OnStar, which is built in to the vehicle.  I had thought to try to find some way to also use it in the motor home, even if the car is parked in front of the MH as I can "see" and attach to the car hot spot.  I haven't started any research yet, but will once the after holiday rush is over.  

Has anyone else tried and found a way to use the GM unlimited hotspot in other locations?  It would be cool to have a backup to the Mobley....

== John

 

Edited by John Laninga
Added last sentence
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, John Laninga said:

I am very happy with my AT&T Unlimted Mobey plan for $20 a month.  My new GMC Denali came with OnStar, which has a local in car hotspot, also through AT&T.  So when the 6 month trial period ended I signed up for the GM version of Mobley, that is, $20/month for unlimited LTE.  We use it enough in car to justify the $20.

== John

 

Are you required to have an OnStar subscription in order to use the ATT hotspot feature?  Or, are they independent of each other?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dutch:  I am not worried about range but the car hotspot turns off after I turn off the car.  It will stay on if there is an active connection though but I don't know how long.

Chirakawa: They are independent.  I do not have OnStar but do have the $20/unlimited.  It is not a contract, I can cancel anytime.  We use it in the car because we keep our Verizon phones on a 2GB plan because it is cheap so the GM plan helps when we're exploring.  Use it to find local places of interest, restaurants, and so on.  Also, Google Maps routes work better than any in car DVD based GPS, and the one in my GMC is pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, John Laninga said:

Dutch:  I am not worried about range but the car hotspot turns off after I turn off the car.  It will stay on if there is an active connection though but I don't know how long.

There are some free programs available that will ping a web site at user selected intervals to keep a connection alive. You can also set an email client to check for new mail periodically to accomplish the same thing.

Edited by Dutch_12078
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That mobility of the Mobley out side a vehicle is what led to the $20 Unlimited plan to be withdrawn because of the abuse of the system.  It sticks with the GM equipment because it is hard to take the On-Star module into the RV.  Accessing the On-Star internet is quite feasible for those with the appropriate equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John Laninga said:

...Has anyone else tried and found a way to use the GM unlimited hotspot in other locations?  It would be cool to have a backup to the Mobley....

We just got a Silverado with the GM hotspot. I have connected to it from the trailer using my Ubiquiti Nanostation connected to either the laptop or the WFR Go2 and then two laptops connected to the Go2 by Ethernet. The speed was better than what I generally see with my Verizon phone tethered to the Go2.

8 hours ago, John Laninga said:

...the car hotspot turns off after I turn off the car.  It will stay on if there is an active connection though but I don't know how long...

On my Silverado, with the key out of the ignition, if I push the on button on the radio, the internet connection/Wifi will come on along with the radio. I can mute the radio, but have not figured how to turn it off and leave the internet/Wifi on. I also am not sure how long it will stay on as the longest I have tried so far is about 20 minutes.

7 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

...The On-Star internet connection may stay on but a friend of mine did that last year and that cost him two batteries.  If I choose to use the On-Star internet as backup, I would add a battery charger... 

The hot wire in the GM 7 pin connector stays hot when the ignition is off. I have read several discussions about trailers drawing down the tow vehicle battery if the trailer is left connected when not plugged into shore power. I am wondering if the reverse would be true that the trailer's charger would keep the tow vehicle battery charged while using the hotspot when plugged into shore power? I am aware of the issues involved with the tow vehicle charging the trailer batteries while underway that are related to wire size and length of run. I have no idea how much the hotspot draws and how that compares to things like the RV fridge and phantom loads.

Edited by TCW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

That mobility of the Mobley out side a vehicle is what led to the $20 Unlimited plan to be withdrawn because of the abuse of the system.

AT&T published an expiration date for the $20 unlimited Connected Car plan offer right from the start. As it was, they offered the plan well beyond the original stated end date, so I don't think "abuse" had anything to do with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

AT&T published an expiration date for the $20 unlimited Connected Car plan offer right from the start. As it was, they offered the plan well beyond the original stated end date, so I don't think "abuse" had anything to do with it.

 

The unlimited plan *original*  expiration date  (7-17 ?)  was posted well before that date with the plan details.

"Extension" was a bonus!

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

But there is no end date for the On-Star internet $20 option.  Being hardware locked to the vehicle must have some affect on that.

I'm sure that's the case, but apparently the unlimited plan offered for the Mobleys was simply a limited time offer, not withdrawn due to abuse. The On-Star plan could also be subsidized by GM...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...