ARGO

It was suggested I post this separate. I am using PP, and at 5 yrs old they're aging out. It may get expensive at $40-50 a pop for sensors (I have 14). Is there anything that has come along that is any better? Going to Tampa show, I may shop for a new system there if there is anything better. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Argo, a lot of us use TST sensors. I happen to like the replaceable battery model but I do need to replace the batteries ever 18 to 24 months. Not a problem and takes just a few minutes to change them out for about a dollar apiece.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

TST all the way.  I also had the PP and the replacement price was to expensive for me.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

Here too. TST 507 w/flow through sensors. User replaceable batteries. Great customer service. Had an o-ring failure (user error for not checking them and putting in a new one when I changed the battery)... sent a new replacement sensor and a small handful of o-rings with instructions, "go change them all as soon as you get them.". :P

Tks guys! I'll check them out. I have a long rig & have an antenna for the PP setup, will I need similar for TST ?  Yeah, PP turned me on to a distributor who'd do them for $39 each. But at 5 yrs,  I think I'm looking at the beginning of the end w 2 bad out of 14.

Is the battery replaceable in the "Cap" sensor, or only with the pass thru sensor?

I am assuming the pass thru sensor is somewhat heavier than the cap sensor, correct?

So on the dually tires, for the pass thru sensor, have you been just adding the sensor to a braided valve extension coming from the inside, or have you been adding some sort of support for the braided valve extender? 

With my PP I have just been putting the Cap sensors on the braided valve extenders coming from the inside dually tire. This has worked fine for the last 50,000 miles on 2 different RV's.  Just concerned about the possible heavier weight of the pass through sensor.  However I would like the replaceable battery option.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

18 minutes ago, Al F said:

Is the battery replaceable in the "Cap" sensor, or only with the pass thru sensor?

I am assuming the pass thru sensor is somewhat heavier than the cap sensor, correct?

So on the dually tires, for the pass thru sensor, have you been just adding the sensor to a braided valve extension coming from the inside, or have you been adding some sort of support for the braided valve extender? 

Cap sensors have user replaceable as well.

Likely, they "are" heavier with the additional stem extension. They say to only use metal stems with the flow throughs while the Cap sensors can go on either. I wonder if some of that might just be that the centrifical force is greater on the flow throughs since the cap sensors have a much lower profile(?). The flow through is basically a cap sensor on it's side with a valve stub out the top.

My rig isn't DRW, but I have clips on them. I have "seen" metal stems and clip kits designed specifically for inner tires on DRW's though.

One thing to consider. I do prefer the flow throughs, but the air flow "is" slightly restricted when adding air. I don't mind though. It beats the heck out of messing with the clips and having to remove the entire sensor just to pump in a couple lbs.

I didn't see any value in the heavier flow-thru sensors, since taking off the cap sensors to air up is little different than removing a standard valve cap. The flow-thru's also stick out farther, leaving them more vulnerable to curb rubs on coach front wheels and toads. I removed the rotating security covers from my 507 cap sensors, making them even lighter (less than 1/2 oz) and less noticeable. My inside dual stems are reachable without extensions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We are in the Pacific Northwest out all year in the rain and snow.  

We started with 507 flow thru but the battery compartment would fill with water.

TST was great to deal we sent the flow thru sensors back and they sent us the SCE sensors.

All the valve stems are brass.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

OK, I popped for the 507 system w/caps.  They will be at the Tampa show. so if I'm not pleased w/ the setup I guess I can express myself there............

Tks all for the feedback. Anyone want a PP system with 12 good sensors ?

That brings up a good point, J-T. If the vehicle has aluminum valve stems, common on some toads, coat the threads with dielectric grease or anti-seize before installing the sensors to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion that can make the brass threaded sensors difficult to remove.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Great info folks.  I'm sold on the TST, will go the the "Cap" option, probably later this spring.  Also going to get the remote amplifier/repeater so I can have the TPMS on the toad.

I'll just continue with the PP for our 8 week trip to southern NM, AZ & CA from Texas staring this Saturday.  I have an excuse for the trip.  To get out of the Cedar (Juniper) tree pollen that hits the San Antonio/Austin and Hill Country in Jan & part of Feb. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That brings up a good point, J-T. If the vehicle has aluminum valve stems, common on some toads, coat the threads with dielectric grease or anti-seize before installing the sensors to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion that can make the brass threaded sensors difficult to remove.

I used Tef-Gel  lasts allot longer than grease...Tef-Gel went on the valve stem and the valve stem set screw at day 1.

The battery compartment screw went into plastic so there was no need for Tef-Gel there. 

The body of the 507FT looked to be aluminum.  Electrolysis (corrosion) between brass / alum is worse than alum / alum.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Argo, you will probably need the repeater to get a signal up to your truck, you can see what that looks like in Tampa if you need them. We will be there boondocking in the NE corner of the parking lot with the other little trucks if you want to see our setup.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 1/3/2018 at 11:14 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

I discovered that the hard way. I put aluminum caps on my pickup wheels with brass stems.  I twisted the valve stems completely off of 2 wheels attempting to remove the aluminum caps. Luckily GM uses replaceable valve stems in their OEM TPMS devices. That was a $40 lesson.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 8:14 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

^^^

This. Dissimilar metal corrosion is very common but many people don't even know it exists.

6 minutes ago, OldMan said:

This. Dissimilar metal corrosion is very common but many people don't even know it exists.

That point is one that needs to be mentioned in may other subjects as well. I have seen it happen with many other threaded things.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, Kirk Wood said:

That point is one that needs to be mentioned in may other subjects as well. I have seen it happen with many other threaded things.

I used to fly, owned a Cessna 172 and let me tell ya, you learn about dissimilar metal corrosion real quick, dealing with sheet aluminum. Dielectric grease is your friend. It's like a zinc anode on an outboard motor, to let the zinc corrode (path of least resistance) while other metal is not attacked.

We have used both the PP and the Now the TST systems they both do the job. We used the PP from 2006 to 2012  and when we needed a software  upgrade and new sensors we found we could get the TST system  for a bit less $$ at the Tampa RV show.. The TST system has been on this 5th wheel since 2012 with no issues. We do not need a repeater.The TPMS is a must for us.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Al F said:

I put my flow-thru sensors for my dually on the end of the braided line.  The end of the braid is supported by a metal frame included in the braided line kit.  With that said, I STILL have to take the sensors off to add air.  For some reason, it takes FOREVER to pump air thru those flow thru sensors.  On the front wheels, without the braided line, the air goes in easily.  IDK what the deal is with the rear duals.

5 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I put my flow-thru sensors for my dually on the end of the braided line.  The end of the braid is supported by a metal frame included in the braided line kit.  With that said, I STILL have to take the sensors off to add air.  For some reason, it takes FOREVER to pump air thru those flow thru sensors.  On the front wheels, without the braided line, the air goes in easily.  IDK what the deal is with the rear duals.

I have found on some of the valve extenders, short metal ones and longer braided ones, the air valve inside the extender doesn't get pushed down far enough to let the full volume of air to enter. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived