RV with Chevy engine?

peaceridge

I'm looking for a newish model (2016 to 2018) replacement for my Tiger Class C (mainly for a larger refrigerator and more sitting space).  I'm astonished that since I bought my Tiger 5 years ago almost no one is building on the Chevy anymore.  Actually I can only find Roadtrek as building on them.  I started looking at C's, B+'s and B's, with the requirements of gas engine, no slides, less than 26' and thought I should find lots.  C's and B+'s - I've tested several brands and just don't like the dually wheels.  So, that left me with the B's.  Most use the Promaster - I don't like the payload of these - I full time and need more.  That left me with Ford and Chevy.  All the Ford's I've found have a really, really long overhang in the back - so Ford is out.  Which leaves only the Roadtrek 210 (the 190 has too small a refrigerator).

Am I missing anything - have I painted myself into a corner?  sigh.

Lyn

Looks like you have got it down too the Model you want.

Built on a Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis.

Engine – VORTEC 6.0 V8 gas
Towing capacity: 9,700 to 10,000 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 9,600 to 9,900 lbs

Curb weight: 5,458 to 6,439 lbs
Payload: 3,461 to 4,221 lbs

Now you only need the 100K to buy that new one. :)
Good Luck

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

2 hours ago, Biker56 said:

Looks like you have got it down too the Model you want.

Built on a Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis.

Engine – VORTEC 6.0 V8 gas
Towing capacity: 9,700 to 10,000 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 9,600 to 9,900 lbs

Curb weight: 5,458 to 6,439 lbs
Payload: 3,461 to 4,221 lbs

Now you only need the 100K to buy that new one. :)
Good Luck

Yep - actually I was hoping someone had an alternative to the Roadtrek (not that there is anything wrong with the RT), just that I'd like to have a another for comparison purposes.

That 10 gallon black tank was a deal breaker for us. You know what a five gallon bucket looks like. Would a ten gallon be enough for you or would you almost have to live at a dump?

Have you looked at Sportsmobile.com? They sell used units. In fact my former 2012 Sprinter is for sale again right now with its 20 gallon black tank. But it only has a single bed. And it's a diesel. But they do have used gas models for sale. Or you can buy the van you prefer and have Sportsmobile do the conversion to get exactly what you want. No need to settle for what some brand decides you should need.

No, I don't work for Sportsmobile, I just really like my van. If I was still capable of solo traveling I would buy it again.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this.  I went to the Tampa RV show and found the Roadtrek 210 on the Chevy chassis. It was a Roadtrek 2018, but the chassis was a 2016.  They said that Chevy didn't want (couldn't) compete in the RV market anymore, so for the most part the only Chevy RV's are older Chevys that have been sitting around for a couple of years.  Back to the drawing board - I'll ask questions about other gas rv's in a different post.

Have you considered looking at Phoenix Cruisers?  Technically they are a Class B+ but if you don't get a slide, then  a 2100 or 2350 is more in the Class B style.  Anyhow, they are are well built and are very user friendly.  Here's a link  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Thanks, I did look at them, but could only find gas models on the Ford chassis.  The Ford has too much back overhang for me.  I'm going to go with the Promaster since I can't find anything I like on the Chevy.  It appears the 2018 models (ex Roadtrek) are on Chevy 2016 chassis and I'm not going to pay new van prices for a 2 year old van.  Appreciate your thoughts, though.

Archived