Carefree's Mirage is the strongest, most durable lateral arm box awning available - IF one is to believe their advertising. This type awing seems to be most often used on new MH's with starboard slide rooms.

My objection to using one is the lack of a tilt feature to block evening/morning sunlight. Guess that's why I still like my old manual Carefree awning, which may be lowered to within 5' of the ground.(no starboard slide)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

My objection to using one is the lack of a tilt feature to block evening/morning sunlight. Guess that's why I still like my old manual Carefree awning, which may be lowered to within 5' of the ground.(no starboard slide)

The link you provided says that awning has 30” of pitch adjustment.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

There is so little information on the websites for such high dollar products.  I was looking at this Girard https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/3350/files/AK._Nova_II_Installation_Manual.pdf?5433730594210278951

and the Zip Dee Century 2 http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/century-automatic-awning.html

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

20 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

The link you provided says that awning has 30” of pitch adjustment.

Good catch, however it states 30" instead of 30*.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've been visiting back on this thread because I am also quite interested in the pros and cons of the two. I can see where a lateral is going to help get the support arm up out of the way, but I wonder about the stability and suseptability to winds. With fewer moving parts I could also maybe see them being a bit more maintanence free for that reason (?).

It doesn't appear that tilting or doing a rain dump is any issue.

I mounted awning pole brackets and poles that retract and secure against the side of my rig during travel. Mainly so I don't have to worry if winds pick up a bit (the brackets also has holes for tiedowns), but I would also wonder if the laterals have enough front edge support for a similar system.

Curious minds want to know....

I'm right in line with your thoughts Yarome.  I imagine multiple head strikes with the vertical supports, but the stability is and issue (maybe).  I was thinking a pair of telescoping poles in that case would still be a better occasional solution.  The auto-retract sensitivity is adjustable.  On the Irv2 forum and as seen on most high end motorhome's the Girard seems to be the awning of choice for function and customer service.  At $6K each (20') and I need two of them, I don't want any regrets.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

22 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Ray , what does 30 stars mean ? LOL

If you want the degree sign , press Alt + 0176 . That will give you ° . ;)

30°   HaH!  finally got it. I was using the numbers at the top of the kyeboard, but the numbers on the right side of the keyboard must be used. Remember, a computer is only as smart as the operator.:(

Only the right Alt key works with Alt+248. Now to discover how to create a shortcut for °

Thanks for the lesson.

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

30°   HaH!  finally got it. I was using the numbers at the top of the kyeboard, but the numbers on the right side of the keyboard must be used. Remember, a computer is only as smart as the operator.:(

Only the right Alt key works with Alt+248. Now to discover how to create a shortcut for °

Thanks for the lesson.

Belated Merry Christmas . ;)

I learn new to me stuff fairly often . I know I don't use but a fraction of what my machine is capable of . 

Goes around , comes around .

Archived