So what foods do you avoid cooking in an RV?

On 12/28/2017 at 10:15 AM, Second Chance said:

We don't cook some kinds of fish (milder "white" fish are OK), leeks, or liver of any kind inside. Even if we run the Fantastic Fan on high, the smell still manages to get into carpet, soft goods, bedding, etc., and stay there.

I like to cook big batches of thick bacon in the convection oven and keep the cooked bacon in the freezer.  I won't do it in the RV any more because the smell seems to permeate everything.  It happened the other day, too, when I made some Indian food and the smell from the spices frying in the skillet for just a minute or two hung around for days.

I also have that problem when I chop raw onions. 

And I have a carpeted ceiling, and that can't help.

Things that splatter are best cooked outside unless you enjoy scrubbing greasy walls and cupboards.

Maybe it's because of the closer quarters than in a house, but grease seems to get on everything.

We're not out there, yet, but I know on cold, rainy days, we'll eat stuff from cans (soup/chili/stew) Stay inside, sleep as much as possible and listen to the weather radio (and the CB) for forecasts and updates.

Only pireps I hear these days are on the CB.

Agree with others, stinky stuff and splattery stuff should be prepared outdoors.

When we had our little 19' mpg TT I cooked my bacon and eggs outside each morning because there wasn't really enough room for both of us. Now that we have a 40' MH we do almost all of our cooking inside. Sometimes, if the weather cooperates, I'll do steaks, burgers, or brats on the grill. Jo Ann fixes the rest of the meal inside.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 2 weeks later...

I was sitting here enjoying the light weight of my Sennheiser HD414 headphones (50 years old this year) and they still sound great, and it occurred to me, the best way to prevent splatter is to cover the pan being used. Also will help keep smells down, but for us, opening frozen bags of soup and other dreary-day comfort foods will help a lot. That food-saver pump is very useful, indeed. Bacon gets cooked outside or not at all.

Archived