So what foods do you avoid cooking in an RV?

So I was just tearing apart the remains of the Christmas turkey.  My wife is teasing me a bit about making a mess saying, "See? If you were doing this in an RV there'd be turkey all over the windows, TV and sofa!"  Now, she might have been exaggerating slightly but it got me to thinking about cooking food.  Are there foods you avoid because they are too messy?  Or maybe even too stinky?  Or some other reason?

There are foods we prefer to cook outside on the grill of course, but I can't think of any we wouldn't cook inside if the grill wasn't available for some reason. Yep, we've even cooked a whole turkey in the oven, and I don't recall it being a particularly messy operation. Vent fans and air freshener take care of most of the cooking odor problems.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We would cook any food inside.  It is our home..  If you clean it, you won't have odors any more than you would in a house.  That's assuming also that you use your fan, open a window once in awhile etc.  Even a house will smell for a short time after cooking some foods.  

The ONLY thing I do not do is any deep frying.

Pat DeJong

We will cook anything inside. Run the fan, open the door, whatever. Its our home and we treat it as such.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

11 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

The ONLY thing I do not do is any deep frying.

We purchased an air fryer. It works really well for almost anything that you would deep fry without the mess and smell of hot oil. 

Weather permitting about the only thing we try not to cook inside is fish. However, as already said, vent fan and air freshener work well if we must.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

When we had a "real" oven, we cooked anything. 

Now that we have only a microwave/convection oven, we rarely cook anything that requires the use of the convection oven unless we're in an RV park with hookups (which is rare).  We hate running the generator for the length of time that would be required to use the convection oven. 

So mostly we now cook stuff that can be done on the stovetop, including fish (salmon).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We don't cook some kinds of fish (milder "white" fish are OK), leeks, or liver of any kind inside. Even if we run the Fantastic Fan on high, the smell still manages to get into carpet, soft goods, bedding, etc., and stay there. Since my wife has gone plant-based (and I'm about 80% there), the only restriction still in place is the leeks. Even vegetables that are smelly while cooking (we call it "food fart") like cauliflower are OK with the fan running - but not leeks! (Did I mention leeks?)

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

Things that splatter are best cooked outside unless you enjoy scrubbing greasy walls and cupboards. :)

Linda Sand

We have a couple of mesh splatter shields that work really well. My mother-in-law had them before us though, so I have no idea where they came from.

Dutch

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We have a couple of mesh splatter shields that work really well. My mother-in-law had them before us though, so I have no idea where they came from.

They sell them on Amazon. I don't know how you'd wash/store them in an RV. Maybe Dutch can tell us what they do about that.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 minutes ago, sandsys said:

They sell them on Amazon. I don't know how you'd wash/store them in an RV. Maybe Dutch can tell us what they do about that.

I see ones on Amazon that are similar to ours with just sightly different handles. We wash them in the sink just like any the dirty pans. We store them in the bottom of a dinette seat drawer under the frying pans.

Dutch

There is nothing I wouldn't cook in my RV.  Of course I'm saying that living full time in a 40 foot 5ther.  I probably wouldn't have said that when I had a 25 foot TT.  As far as turkey, I buy frozen breast meat to make life simpler seeing there are only two of us.  Glade spray takes care of any unwanted odors.

2 hours ago, wranglermatt said:

Glade spray takes care of any unwanted odors.

We've been using Oust spray. Somehow it seems to remove the odors rather than try to cover them with a more pleasant smell.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

We've been using Oust spray. Somehow it seems to remove the odors rather than try to cover them with a more pleasant smell.

Linda Sand

That's been our experience with Oust too, Linda. Good stuff!

Dutch

Archived