Direct TV SWM Upgrade and Using Home Genie in RV

Last month I tagged onto a thread about Direct TV SWM Upgrades and taking a home-based Genie with us in our motorhome which right now has the previous older equipment.. The SWM upgrade is still pending due to weather issues (snow and minus 5 dgs..). But I called DTV to see if I could merge my MH account with our new home (Genie) account to simplify and save money and was told no. But the service rep then offered to put our MH account on suspension again even though it was previously suspended from April 2016 to Sep 2017 (unable to travel due to medical). We then only had it turned on for a month or so while traveling and because we could not get another suspension. One lesson learned - some customer reps are more flexible than others.

I recently saw a post on another site that said: if I take the Genie from home I cannot get local channels when I travel. But I have an existing DNS waiver on file with DTV for my MH account so I assume it does not matter if I use the Genie.

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

Your first mistake was having a Home & MH account.
You only need a home account and move your genie to the MH.
Your MH will need to have a SWM dish on it to use the Genie.

You will lose your locals if you travel outside the spot beam.

I Full Time and never have had a MH account. I get both coast of DNS but I don't have locals.
I have a home account but my receivers have never been at that location.
My OTA Batwing picks up over 24 channels at my winter spot.

DirecTV has no idea where you are using the receivers at.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker 56,

Thanks for the info. We have had the MH DTV account since 2003 when we fulltimed for 6 years until 2009. We got a new suite of (old) DTV equipment in 2011 but remained with cable in the house until Oct 2017 because DTV did not have local channels in our area until recently and we simply suspended the MH DTV when at home in South Dakota. We are still on the road several months a year when the DW is healthy..We decided to "cut the cable cord" in Oct and put DTV in the house with the Genie system. That has led us to where we are today - a suspended MH account and an active home account. 

I could simply leave things as they are and suspend/reactivate each acct as needed as mentioned in some other threads elsewhere, but that seems unwieldy so would prefer to close MH acct and use Genie. I will replace the topside wiring harness when weather warms again (at least one bad lead and I need 4 for the SWM 8) and then do the SWM upgrade. At that point I can drop the MH account, use the Genie both places and likely return the old MH equipment to DTV. 

Thanks again,

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
At home in snowy and cold Custer SD

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

Archived