Can I really full time on $2,000 a month

Larry

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Someone mentioned the high cost of RV'ing in Florida earlier, so I thought I'd mention that for the 64 nights we stayed there last winter in 7 different state and national parks, and 1 private park, we averaged just about $20/night. Florida can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be expensive.

Camping costs are controllable and also highly variable depending on how you camp and travel. Even in Florida there are places like Wildlife Management Areas and Water Management Districts where one can dry camp for free. There are also public campgrounds that offer dry camping at relatively low fees. In general; the fewer amenities that you want, the lower the cost.  We prefer to have electric so limit our selves to campgrounds with that at least that amenity. We generally like to stay a week, rarely more than two in a location. We do not like to make reservations more than a few days in advance. This year, we were unable to get sites in any of the state Parks in the areas we visited. We spent 74 nights in Coastal Georgia and Florida (Savannah to Sarasota) this past February - May. Despite having one week at $99.00 and another at $105.00, our average was $30.95.  Fuel is another somewhat controllable cost. We spent $645.69 on diesel fuel during that same time period. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are controllable issues with RVing - where you stay and what you pay; fuel; less eating out; less entry fees for attractions.  There are plenty of free things to do.  If you spend more one month then cut way back the next month.  You'll soon get the hang of it and can live comfortably on what you have.   Some folks need more but many need much less to be happy.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, Rayne said:

Sorry, not intending to sound sappy or anything. But it’s taken me 2 years to come to the point of even selling off the house. Lol. 

After more than 55 years of marriage, you do not sound sappy at all. I have watched my wife's health problems take more and more control of her life so that does give me pause. As an observer of the process that you are now dealing with, I would suggest that your best bet is in men who have traveled the same road you now find yourself on. Good marriage experience tends to feed a good second time around. We have several friends who are in that position and the greatest part of their new unions is that they can share memories of happy days with the deceased partner, unlike those from a broken marriage. I'll never forget Pam's grandmother who married a man she had socialized with before either lost their spouse. It was great to watch them share family albums.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 5 months later...
On 12/24/2017 at 7:21 AM, Larry said:

Hello to All!  Just signed up to Escapees and this is my first post.  Looking forward to learning from all the experts on here.

I would really like to retire in 5 years at 65.  I could work until 66 1/2 and get my full retirement.  I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth for winters. I lived in Florida for 6 years so leaning on going back during the winter months but that's not a definite, can look at other warm locations.  I now live in upstate NY as of earlier this year due to a job transfer.  I just can't decide in what or if I can really afford to do it.

Here is what I am thinking at this point in time:  Buying a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I realize that with a truck and either a travel trailer or 5th wheel there would only be 1 motor, transmission etc. for repairs.  I am by myself.

Here is some other info on me:
1) Will be debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then and will pay cash for whatever RV I decide to get.
2) Looking at spending up to $40,000 on the used motor home.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? 
2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance. 

I know you do not want to tow, but towing a trailer is less expensive a LOT less limiting for mechanical reasons. The sky is the limit finding a mechanic to work on the vehicle towing the trailer and repairs are fast. If you go to an RV dealer for repairs, good luck getting an appointment and getting your home back in a few weeks...

2 hours ago, Annell said:

I know you do not want to tow, but towing a trailer is less expensive a LOT less limiting for mechanical reasons. The sky is the limit finding a mechanic to work on the vehicle towing the trailer and repairs are fast. If you go to an RV dealer for repairs, good luck getting an appointment and getting your home back in a few weeks...

Here here!

2nd.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

To Annell & MarkandKim:

I realize that towing a trailer or 5'ver would be less expensive.  However, I just can't see myself driving a large truck around once I get some where.  Trucks are not cheap.  I would want something that was newer so I didn't have to worry about some thing going wrong with it.  I figure the truck alone would run me about $40,000.00 in order to get the size I would need to pull a decent size travel trailer.

I have time to make a final decision.  Thank you for all your replies.

Edited by rollindowntheroad

My used truck ran ~55k, big enough to haul a large 5th wheel, then cost of RV.  I would not buy too much older of a truck/cheaper as the repairs/upkeep might get spendy quick, but it is possible and ppl do it.  On your budget, I might even look at a class C, I see nice ones in your budget often.  But a decent class A is nice too, both classes can tow vehicles.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

To NDBirdman:

Knowing my tastes I would probably end up spending way more on a truck.  I have thought about a Class C and have looked at several on dealers lots.  They don't seem to have much room in them.  I feel more comfortable in a Class A, plus they have more storage capacity.  Seems Class C's can be just as expensive as Class A's, even used.  Since my first post I have gotten a different vehicle as a toad, one that I can tow 4 down.  Bought a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

15 minutes ago, rollindowntheroad said:

To NDBirdman:

Knowing my tastes I would probably end up spending way more on a truck....  Bought a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I hear ya!  This Ram is loaded to the hilt, would not have enjoyed driving it off the lot new!!  My wife's car is slowly circling the drain, it's in the garage not running now do to the extreme cold we've been getting past few weeks.  That Jeep is what I've been looking at but my wife is thinking she wants a Honda Pilot, gave a feeling she is going to win... LOL  It's off to the auto parts store for me shortly.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

3 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

I feel more comfortable in a Class A, plus they have more storage capacity.  Seems Class C's can be just as expensive as Class A's, even used.  Since my first post I have gotten a different vehicle as a toad, one that I can tow 4 down. 

That is what we did as well. We looked at a lot of options but looking back I believe that our gas powered class A with a tow vehicle was the best choice.  In 12 years we put 77k miles on the coach and 240K on two different towed vehicles. Way less cost to supply fuel and less cost to replace with the smaller vehicle. And my wife didn't want to drive a big truck to all of the craft & yard goods stores. 

I have read all 5 pages of comments/ideas.  There has been some pretty good information put forth from people that used to full time and from people that are currently full timing.  

In the end though it just boils down to "what is the perfect RV for me".

The first time we "sold out" and went full timing our goal was to travel and see the U.S.A.  We went with the 1-ton diesel truck and larger fiver.  It was workable and we enjoyed it but there were times when it would have certainly been nice to have a small car or our Harley to run around on.

What we finally realized was that our RV was only our living quarters.  We needed it to get us from point A to point B, hold most of our belongings, and allow us to live comfortably inside of it.  Our running around the sightseeing was going to be done in our toad or towing vehicle.  

We made the transition to a Class A and couldn't be happier.  

In 14 months we did have two occasions where it was in a shop and we had to be out of it for a night.   I don't expect that to happen again this year though.  But things can happen even if you are full timing in a fiver.  A buddy of mine blew up his tranny and was out of his truck for 5 or 6 days once.  He may have still had his fiver at a CG but he couldn't move it plus they had to rent a car.

So Larry about the only thing you can do is continue with your research.  Find a good floorplan that fits your needs and go for it.  Full time traveling in an RV is the best way I have found to spend my retirement years!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I would be extremely concerned about a $40,000 used motorhome. Brand new, most motorhomes have mechanical issues, nevermind a $40,000, roughly ten year old model. I know lots of folks that went the +/- $40K motorhome route and really regret it. Unless you are willing to full time in a small class c, which you might find in good shape for that amount of money, I'd reconsider a motorhome. 

I recently bought a 2018, brand new, RAM, heavy duty 2500 truck for $37,000 and for $3000 bought a lifetime, unlimited mileage warrantee. Not having to worry about catastrophic vehicle expenses is a tremendous piece of mind. And I'm extremely mechanically inclined.

Having TWO vehicles to deal with (Motorhome AND toad) would be a deal breaker for me.

I would really reconsider a Truck/Trailer combination if I was trying to live on $2000 a month with only $25K in the bank. One big repair on a motorhome can easily eat that $25K down real fast!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

8 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

So Larry about the only thing you can do is continue with your research.  Find a good floorplan that fits your needs and go for it.  Full time traveling in an RV is the best way I have found to spend my retirement years!

I have been researching RV's for some time now.  Forums like this one have provided some valuable information.  I will continue to research, visit RV dealers and window shop until it comes down to making a final decision.

8 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

I recently bought a 2018, brand new, RAM, heavy duty 2500 truck for $37,000 and for $3000 bought a lifetime, unlimited mileage warrantee. Not having to worry about catastrophic vehicle expenses is a tremendous piece of mind. And I'm extremely mechanically inclined.

Did the truck have a motor for $37,000........lol?  That sounds like a great deal.  I just purchased a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to use as a toad, paid $43,000 for that.  I figure this would be my last vehicle and I'll pay it off before I retire.

I know that "anything" I get on my now planned budget will have issues.  That's a chance any one takes.  As you said even new ones have issues.  Maybe I will win the lottery between now and when I retire........like that's going to happen.  In the meantime I'm going to keep researching and take in all advice/recommendations that I get from experienced people like you.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

I know that "anything" I get on my now planned budget will have issues. 

While there is some truth to this thinking, but if you choose carefully it doesn't need to be a frequent problem. We bought a new gas coach and lived in it for 12 of the 14 years that we owned it. In that time we had 2 different tow vehicles (towed 4 down). In the 12 years, we were only unable to spend the night in our RV 2 times for a total of 5 nights. In the second situation, we were able to plan the service to take place when near family to stay with them. The towed vehicles were never kept overnight for a repair. I am a believer in making sure that all maintenance is done when due and that preventive maintenance guides are followed religiously. You can also mitigate things by use of a warranty contract if you shop for one very carefully. 

It is true that the type of RV you full time in is a personal choice.  As you are experiencing cost, maintenance, and functionality is the main consideration while living on a budget.   While you are still working you might try renting a various RV's to see what you like.  IMHO at your point in life you can't afford a mistake.   Assess you abilities; can you back a trailer?, feel comfortable driving a motor home?, ECT.  There are plenty of references in the RV blogs about cost of different types of RV'ing.  I have never owned a motorhome but know several folks that have and I feel that pulling either a trailer or 5th wheel with a well maintained truck is the way to go.  At times I would like a smaller vehicle to tour around in but have made that choice to drive a truck.........your needs seem small. Good Luck with your research!

1 hour ago, oldbutspry said:

You could carry a scooter on the front of the truck.  Like this (photo from internet, not mine):

Those pictures are of motorcycle type scooters rather than mobility type scooters. It's a whole different ball game.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As you said even new ones have issues. 

BTW, I have a couple friends that bought brand new motorhomes...Had relatively big problems within the first few months...And had to wait weeks to get the MH in for service as the dealership was backed up months. They were told that new MHs  were taken in first. Used MH (especially if bought from a private party and not at the dealership where service is requested) could be waiting months! This wouldn't happen with a truck and trailer as a truck will be serviced within days or hours.....And if the issue is the trailer, you still have the truck for transportation. A trailer without the huge mechanics of a MH would usually have issues with components, frig, stove AC, etc......Usually easily repaired and/or could be done by self or third party service....

Something to think about....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Wonder how any of us with motorhomes ever manage to get on the road. 😏

The only time any of our motorhomes were overnight in a shop was for one night when we were having solar panels installed. Never for mechanical or structural problems.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Over the years with various motorhomes we've had an engine replaced, a transmission replaced, and a complete rear axle assembly replaced, and slept in the coach every night. The only time we were out of one while it was in a shop was when we had some body and paint work done and didn't want to deal with the smell. That time we stayed in a KOA "Kabin" for two nights.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We full-timed in our motorhome 8 years without having to spend days or more at the service facility and never returned to our selling dealer.  We called ahead to a place for maintenance in the direction we were traveling and they were waiting for us when we arrived. Service was done that day or the next morning and we left when finished. We were always able to spend the night in the motorhome on their lot; often with electric. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel