Dash cams

runaway parents

Get the one with the highest resolution you can find. There may be a time when you want to read a license plate rather than just see the car that cut you off.

The Garmin Dash Cam 55 is 1440p and up to 60fps. The Dash Cam 65 has a wide angle lens but is only 1080p and 30fps.

I also recommend one that is dedicated to the truck and that is set it and forget it. I wouldn't want one that you had to turn on and off manually or one that you need to remember to put back in the truck.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

The Dash Cam 65 has a wide angle lens but is only 1080p and 30fps.

I  like the verbal command features, being able to record/save pictures and video on demand. It also records date, time, speed, and gps location.  Traffic moving, lane departure, and following too close are a little  sensitive but adjustable. Red light/speed camera locations warnings is a separate subscription.  The 180 degree field of view is amazing and 1080p/30fps is more than adaquate.  I have the "Parking Mode" power cable in the toad and it records events while the car is turned off.  That appears to be both movement and visual and is very sensitive, recording scores of events while parked over night in my driveway. 

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

Does anyone have the CabCam system like what Gregg installs?  Did you install it yourself?

I like the idea that it fits into the panel and it's hard wired, but other than Gregg, I don't hear much about it.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

Get the one with the highest resolution you can find. There may be a time when you want to read a license plate rather than just see the car that cut you off.

The Garmin Dash Cam 55 is 1440p and up to 60fps. The Dash Cam 65 has a wide angle lens but is only 1080p and 30fps.

I also recommend one that is dedicated to the truck and that is set it and forget it. I wouldn't want one that you had to turn on and off manually or one that you need to remember to put back in the truck.

Hi Phil,

Which Garmin unit ( cam 55 or cam 65) are you using ? Would you buy that same unit again ?

Thank you for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

3 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

Very possible. If someone else knows that you have relevant information, said information could be subpoenaed. 

My understanding is that it would require a subpoena just like a cell phone.  The LEO cannot simply take your camera (personal property) over your protest.  Please correct me, John, if I’m wrong.  The only exception is if the camera was used in the purposeful commission of a crime such as terrorists recording driving their vehicle through a crowd.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 hours ago, noteven said:

Can the evidence I record be used against me? :huh:

From the dash cam you forgot to put the memory card back in to or are you talking about the micro SD card that fell out of your shirt pocket? They are so tiny it's impossible to even feel them when they fall out.

Hate it when that happens..... ;)

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Can the evidence I record be used against me? :huh:

Probably...IF they know you have one. You are under no obligation to volunteer that info. If they know you have it, and they believe you may delete (ie: destroy) potential evidence, they would have no issue getting a subpoena in a very very short time.  

9 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Phil,

Which Garmin unit ( cam 55 or cam 65) are you using ? Would you buy that same unit again ?

Thank you for any input,
Al

Al, I have had a Garmin for years, and like them very much. They are small, easy to use and have a good quality video. After looking at the newer ones ones for this topic, I have ordered a Dash Cam 55. It has a smaller field of view but much better recording quality (if it is as they claim). I can live without the wide angle lense (122 degrees vs 180). I'm no math genius but I think 122 degrees will do fine. 

I have no issues with a camera recording my speed since in the HDT I am rarely traveling that fast, and I live with a camera recording my speed every day anyway. What I did turn off was the audio. I'll keep my colorful comments to myself. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Try the "YI 2.7K Ultra Dash Cam with 2.7" LCD Screen, Dual-Core Processor, Voice Control, MEMS 3-axis G-Sensor, and Night Vision"  It has 1280x720 resolution. It's $99.99 on Amazon.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/YI-Screen-Dual-Core-Processor-G-Sensor/dp/B01CW4AH5E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1510142587&sr=8-2&keywords=yi+ultra&linkCode=sl1&tag=techmoancom-20&linkId=d1e6a0af9d844af63993321b23923d03

Review: 

I know the question is dash cams, but someone asked about backup cams and monitors.  I recently installed THIS CAMERA and monitor set I got on Amazon. I did it as an experiment. It fits into the dash in the "normal" place without any issue. And it is surprisingly good quality. I don't know how long it will last, but for the money it is worth a try. The lines are pretty standard so if it does die it is easily replaced.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived