solar on hdt

GlennWest

I find in some parks having to park my truck in overflow. No way to hook up my battery minder. Considering a panel on it. Where do you guys mount it. Top hits tree braches.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I store mine all winter with a panel inside against the windshield, run the wires to the battery bank.

done 

inside the truck keeps it from walking off :angry: 

the inside position is not ideal for maximum output but I only want a trickle anyway ,even then I have had the bank overcharge a bit .So I disconnect for periods of time.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Can you mount it on the back of the sleeper near the top? 

You could hinge it down when traveling and raise it when you are parked. Maybe even adjust the angle to work with sun angle.

If your batteries are between the frame rails like ours, it should be easy to run wires down to the batteries.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

That would work. My batteries was between rails. I moved them to the side. Think I would have been better off leaving it there and putting a door in the bed for access. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I'm planning for 150+ watts so I can l rave the refer on as needed while camping in the truck. My sleeper roof it flat so no worries there, but was considering a hinged shelf off the back that could also serve as a tilt if the truck was parked in the right direction.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Top of the drom at an angle to the cab if you have a drom. That is the typical way to do it - if there is such a thing as "typical" on an HDT. Or, as others have said, hinged to the cab and lifted into position when not in motion if no drom box. But you have to secure it VERY well. 

HERE is a link to a good panel at a good price. Don't know what the shipping is on it these days - it used to be free shipping.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived