How many HDT / MDT owners also have a Class A Motorhome?

Dollytrolley

Recently a thread was posted that discussed the pros and cons of high end (large) 5ers and High-End Class A motor homes.........

Since the Dollytrolley is holding the Bottom of the HDT gig I had little to say about the higher classes.......since we are no-class so to speak.

Now maybe we are short on class but.......we seem to make it up in volume in that we seem to operate a fleet of rigs for various reasons.

In addition to the old Freightshaker and midsize TT toyhauler we also operate the Stealth-Dollytrolley V2.5  Class a-DP-motorhome that we seldom mention.

We had a need to re position our memory-loss +90 mom and it turns out that the big windows of the class a DP really make her very happy when we travel and of course the couch makes for very nice naps as well. 

The Major advantage of the DP motorhome is the ease of loading and unloading mom with a simple plywood ramp and a wheelchair and the ride angles make her happy also in that it seems to fill her latent skateboarding desires as well.

The first motorhome was a quick accquisition as the need was immediate and the floor plan was not well suited for wheelchair operations hence we shopped long and hard a finally was able to purchase a DP coach that FAR exceeds our wheelchair operation floor plan needs and in fact the bathroom is so rommy that TWO wheelchairs are able to operate at the same time in the bathroom.......the floor plan is stunning of handicap operations.  

What makes the coach so ideal for our needs is that it is a STONE-SIMPLE DP coach and that turned out to be as rare as hens-teeth.

The coach has a 40% super-slide for the living room / kitchen and even with the slide in we have plenty of room for wheel chair operation.

The CAT diesel and 3060 Allison make a basic 18,000 loaded weight for a pretty snappy unit and with a gross of +30K and a HUGE basement we never need to leave anything behind including Dolly-the-painthorse and the Zuki--Sammy in the 20 foot enclosed trailer and so at 57 feet total we are several feet shorter than the Dollytrolley V 1.0......

The coach is a No-frills basic version of the cross of a Beaver / Safari with a four bag Roadmaster Hi-Rail chassis with Disk Brakes and plenty of well proven Beaver sub-systems.

As I recall some HDT owners have a motorhome of some sort in their "RV-Fleet" often it seems that the coaches are used to obtain entry into compact camp sites that are too small for larger HDT / Large trailer operations.

So.......come clean folks........how many HDT folks have a Motorhome hid-out-behind-the-barn?  ?  ?

Drive on............(Two many ........RV'zzzzz??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

So let me get this straight, you have a Class A DP and, you pull a tag trailer with the Freight Shaker BECAUSE?      You "camp" in a horse barn when somewhere in the stable you have a Platypus Jubilee motorhome?      I knew you Mooney drivers were a bit crazy BUT, something is missing.      You mentioned that you take two trucks to area 51 for your winter retreat, why don't you just take the MH AND the Chevy?

Confused in Kansas or California,

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

20 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

So let me get this straight, you have a Class A DP and, you pull a tag trailer with the Freight Shaker BECAUSE?      You "camp" in a horse barn when somewhere in the stable you have a Platypus Jubilee motorhome?      I knew you Mooney drivers were a bit crazy BUT, something is missing.      You mentioned that you take two trucks to area 51 for your winter retreat, why don't you just take the MH AND the Chevy?

Confused in Kansas or California,

Steve  

Steve,

Shucks Steve now that you have made the  list....... the ......."Fleet" it seems like a nice fit for area 51 after all.......

Mooney was just a wee bit of poor luck the Boeing and LUGheed and the Fair-Child and Polish with a few Chezk fling-things with a couple of ruskies really make re-tire-ment at "51" seem fitting........

Steve you got my numberz.........have a Dr Pepper on me.......

Speaking of fetishessss how is the mega-trailer coming along ?   ?    ?.........now that is a real toybox that would make "51" blush.........

Drive on.........(Steve ya got my .......numberz)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We have a 28' Winnebago gas class A (27N model) for short trips, and for when one of us has to be someplace away from the other. Both rigs are set up complete and ready to go. We don't really move much of anything between them. The small Winnie is great for short trips....actually better than the truck and SHORTER. Plus it has the bathroom/shower, and better living facilities for a two week or month long trip for one of us alone. However. First time Danielle took it out to VA for a month (1100 miles one way) she said "this is nothing like our 780 - it drives terrible"!!   And in relative terms it does. However, it is far better for living. I'll improve the handling with some suspension work - but it will never be a 780. I'm sitting in the MH right now in VA for the holidays. Our trailer and truck are back at the business in KS.

In a year or so I may dump this and build a custom box on a tractor chassis. Still under 32'. But honestly, it is hard to beat the functionality of this little MH.  It is small enough to drive to the store, although it also pulls our 453 smart.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We have a 41' Newell that is in rebuild mode. Almost 30 yr old and still in mint shape with a few glitches. It's in MX getting painted at the moment. Wife likes the 'all in one' style of the MH but I'd take the Volvo/5er any day. Advantage to the Newell sometimes as it can pull the stacker with jeep and motorcycles inside. MH works nice for travelling in MX. Gotta love the 8v92 singing behind.

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

After Fulltime from 2002 to 2011, work and retire.

We are building a class B (Vanlife) as soon as we can next year. Planning uses a Diesel Dodge RAM Roadmaster chassis. We like the big and the small, that extreme works for us. We are no longer full time and has three properties (AZ, CO, WA) for wandering. Class B as a shuttle work well while Enterprise stays put in "Space Dock" for repair and upgrade. 

There is a lot of advantage of the big rig in storage space, but it is also limited to stay in the smaller campsite in Parks and Downtown tour. When our age keeps doing up. The steep climb is not going to get easy. The big rig fills a lot of wants in the past with "no" weight limit during fulltime. Operating a big rig required high mental attention and thought process. It was great when we haven't seen much of the country at the beginning. 

I have a few RV friends switching from trailer to motorhome or smaller rig. That said, we still like the big one and can't wait to use it again after the repair is done. 

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

Archived