Windows 10 Updating again! GRRR!

Pieere

3 minutes ago, Pieere said:

Then how do you not get this new cumulative update to not install  on an older AMD computer??

Well, I can tell you what I did. My son-in-law (who is a computer expert/server design engineer) thought that perhaps because the Window 10 I had was an upgrade from Windows 7 that there was something going on with a driver or DLL due to the upgrade and the update. So we slapped a new drive in and loaded a fresh up to date copy of Windows 10 on the computer and then he had a device that allowed be to get all my files off the old drive copied to the new one. So far, so good but the jury is still out.

I realize not everyone has access  to their own private computer tech.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Chalkie,

No, the problem is with the Intel and some AMD chipsets. Pass this post along to your Son in Law, he'll appreciate it if he helps others too.

I posted this up on Internet on the road too. Guys, all Apples and Linux computers use the same Intel chips that have a defect and all the vendors are patching, then sending out a patch when that patch crashes computers to remove it and then we can expect more. This affects all computers with Intel chips and many smartphones too.

Read the below and expect more patches. As well do not buy another computer or phone until Intel has new chipsets and can guarantee the Meltdown and Spectre defects are gone.

The last Windows updates were an emergency update due to Intel flaws causing vulnerabilities. The defective Intel chips are in all Apple and Windows computers and since the Linux folks use x86/Windows boxes, them as well. Some cell phones are also affected.

I will hang in there and pass along what I find out, but I am not buying any computers or phones, new or used, until either Intel produces a firmware fix that does not slow them down, or announces new chips in new computers that no longer have the flaws for Spectre and Meltdown. All computer owners will see patches coming out unscheduled and unannounced as they try to fix these.

If you own an Apple you really need to read this in full too:

Will Huge Chip Vulnerabilities Lead To Mass Intel, AMD And ARM Recalls?

Excerpt:

"Back when models of Jeep were determined vulnerable to cyberattack in 2015, Fiat Chrysler announced a recall of 1.4 million cars. Should the same happen for computers when vulnerabilities aren't entirely fixable with software updates alone?

This is the question being asked after the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities were revealed yesterday, affecting almost every modern computer in existence, in particular those based on Intel, AMD and ARM processors. Whilst software patches are coming and should do much to mitigate real-world attacks, the U.S.-government sponsored Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) running out of Carnegie Mellon stated Wednesday that the true, long-term solution was simply to replace the vulnerable computer chips entirely. "The underlying vulnerability is primarily caused by CPU architecture design choices. Fully removing the vulnerability requires replacing vulnerable CPU hardware," the body wrote.

Could recalls be necessary? While it may be technically accurate to say a completely redesigned chip is the ultimate solution, it's hugely unlikely customers are going to get free fresh devices. Vendors haven't mentioned anything of the sort. And, some say, large-scale hardware replacements would amount to a needless, over-the-top reaction.

Don't expect a free new PC

The more concerning issue from a long-term perspective is Spectre, which tricks applications into coughing up pieces of their memory. As the researchers noted yesterday, it's harder to exploit, but trickier to effectively patch with software. Not to mention there aren't any fixes currently available for the specific issue, whilst many patches are coming for Meltdown.

As the researchers noted in their whitepaper Wednesday: "While makeshift processor-specific countermeasures are possible in some cases, sound solutions will require fixes to processor designs." Or as one of the paper's contributors, Daniel Gruss, told Forbes: "We believe that Spectre might haunt us for a longer while since it is difficult to generically mitigate it." Making matters worse is that attacks can exploit Spectre via malicious websites running Javascript, according to the researchers (a fact later confirmed by Mozilla in its advisory).

Ultimately, chip makers like Intel will now be ensuring future chips won't have the same problems, so it's possible those running highly critical systems where information leakage is unacceptable will want to replace their own hardware. Cybersecurity expert Rob Graham said that upgrading to newer Intel processors from older ones could also prevent loss of performance, an issue that the chip maker admitted could affect certain computer speeds, depending on the workload.

All that isn't to say consumers don't deserve better from their tech providers, said Matthew Hickey, director of cybersecurity company Hacker House. "CPU bugs have never resulted in a recall before as they get patched with microcode... This is a good case for arguing that we should have better protections as consumers for our technology. We would recall cars if they weren't safe, why not faulty hardware?" (As an alert reader pointed out, there has been a CPU recall before, in 1994 when a bug was uncovered in an Intel Pentium processor)."

Source Forbes here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/01/04/intel-arm-amd-no-recalls-for-meltdown-spectre-vulnerabilities/#27fc04717d3a

Here Are All The Available Fixes You Need For Those Huge Chip Hacks -- UPDATED

For concerned users, see this list of the available fixes for Meltdown and Spectre from major tech manufacturers. Below:

'UPDATE After publication, the CERT changed its guidance from suggesting replacement of CPUs to recommending updates. It wrote the following: "Operating system and some application updates mitigate these attacks."

The official US government CERT (US-CERT) run out of the Department of Homeland Security still warned: "Due to the fact that the vulnerability exists in CPU architecture rather than in software, patching may not fully address these vulnerabilities in all cases."

Source: Forbes article with hot links to related articles and more is here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/01/04/google-microsoft-apple-updates-for-meltdown-spectre-intel-processor-vulnerabilities/#6df72cff5c31

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

7 hours ago, Chalkie said:

What processor do you have? There is a known issue with older AMD processors and the most recent changes.

this all in one is less than a year old.

found a in test

been working for over 12 hrs

processer -ok

wireless module - ok

system board - ok

hard drive

smart - ok

optimized dst - ok

long dst - ok

memory  - ok

just changed?????

redoing the hard drive short dst?

cleared out some other testing that was listed. why it did this???

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

No, the problem is with the Intel and some AMD chipsets. Pass this post along to your Son in Law, he'll appreciate it if he helps others too.

Yes, I am aware of that as is he.  I have to admit I tend to get a deer in the headlights look when he starts explaining things at times because he gets so far down in the weeds. Paraphrased from what he said, all OS's use the architecture of the CPU to do what they do. Drivers act as as an interface between the OS and a particular device. The free update from Windows 7 to 10 did not totally overwrite the Win 7 drivers in all instances so there were "legacy"  drivers still present in the "updated" Win 10 system. By doing a clean install with the most current version of Win 10 on a clean hard drive there would be no older drivers present. No, the version did not contain Meltdown/Spectre fixes yet. However, after he observed what my computer was doing he arrived at the driver issue. My system now is completely up to date with all the updates that Microsoft has released and it is no longer crashing or continuously rebooting as it was before. This is all that was important to me.

My son-in-law is very aware of processor chip architecture since he designs servers for a living starting from motherboard design on up and I am not talking about small business servers. His clients are companies in the top of the Fortune 100 list. He does not help anyone other than family so I felt fortunate that he had a 2T SSD laying around and was willing to take the time to help me out.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Rat,

It can only be a failed component, a software glitch, an infection, or a patch issue.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Chalkie, read this from above:

As the researchers noted in their whitepaper Wednesday: "While makeshift processor-specific countermeasures are possible in some cases, sound solutions will require fixes to processor designs." Or as one of the paper's contributors, Daniel Gruss, told Forbes: "We believe that Spectre might haunt us for a longer while since it is difficult to generically mitigate it." Making matters worse is that attacks can exploit Spectre via malicious websites running Javascript, according to the researchers (a fact later confirmed by Mozilla in its advisory).

(Apple and Linux systems too.)

Meltdown and Spectre may be fixable by patching. MY advice to all is to not buy any used computers of any brand using any Intel chips until the manufacture new chips without the defects. I am all set for now but once they have those issues fixed in a new chip I will be getting all new systems. So I hope they manage to get patches that can shield the systems from Meltdown and Spectre, so I can sell all my old systems in good conscience. I was going to replace my four year old Dell XPS 2720 this year and the new systems, when they come out, without the Intel defects.

Advice:

Whatever OS you are running check with your manufacturer of your hardware to see if they have any hardware specific fixes tailored to your system.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I did this, Hope it helps! 1) Locate the Control Panel. Click on

2) Click on Administrative Tools

3) Scroll down to services

4) Scroll down to windows update, click

5) Select stop--you can also disable it temporarily.  When Patches or updater are available for Spectre or Meltdown, then reset back to factory settings. 

Don't know if this will cure the problems. I read about it on Computer World site yesterday!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived