Semi-Trailer RV vs. 5th Wheel

TheLongWayHome

12 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

I remember reading here another consideration ,while semi trailers are very strong they remain too flexible which makes keeping cabinets attached to the walls difficult.

This was brought up in the context of building your own semi based RV.  It would not apply to a purpose built semi based RV like Spacecraft builds.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The issue we have with the Spacecraft semi style trailers is the lack of a dropped pin box. When we talked with Spacecraft they had a couple of suggestions but none looked like they would work with our HDT with out modifications. Currently our hitch head sits lower than the main deck of the bed where the Smart car would sit. This would not allow any turns without the semi trailer hitting the bed. Because most 5th wheels or gooseneck trailers use a dropped pin, these trailers work better with our HDT bed as that was what it was designed to work with. 

If you are thinking of going the semi trailer route, be sure your HDT bed ( if you have one) is designed to work with the trailer pivoting.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this topic. It has been a few years since I took possession of my semi style Spacecraft. I wouldn't go back to a conventional RV. I do have limited experience though. The Spacecraft was my second trailer purchase. The likelihood that I will have to replace my trailer during my lifetime is quite slim. I thought I would get 10 years out of my first RV style, but got a lot less. 

It is a daunting task building a custom trailer. It's nice more of them are being built and giving future owners some real trailers to look at. Won't see any at the big RV shows though. At least not for a couple more years. I don't know the exact numbers, but the majority of the trailers I viewed at Spacecraft this past summer were on the Semi frame. Only the new "show" trailer was a conventional RV. 

I am also available for more specific questions or input via email or private messages. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived