PepsiCo Orders 100 Tesla Electric Trucks

usbusin

How much is the government subsidizing each truck with taxpayer money?  Is this subsidy still going on with EV's?  With more and more EV's on the road, how are they paying their share of road taxes?

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/pepsico-tesla-electric-trucks/2017/12/12/id/831238/

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

Used to be, WAY, WAY back when I was driving big trucks (35 years ago) we had to keep track of the number of miles driven in each state. If we didn't purchase enough fuel to pay the road tax the difference was paid straight to the state. I am hoping that something like that is still in place for these trucks.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

The government subsidizing alternative fuels fleet vehicles is nothing new.   My 6500 Topkick is a former Schwann's ice cream truck that runs on propane.  Due to it's extremely low emissions the government was (is?) giving tax credits for each propane powered vehicle placed in service, along with a list of other fuels like CNG and electric.  For decades Schwann's entire fleet ran on propane for that and other reasons.  The fleet program was separate from the consumer program for folks buying a Prius and such.

The whole concept advertised as "zero emissions" vehicles annoys me to no end.  That statement only applies to "zero emissions" at the (non-existent) tailpipe.  Unless you have it plugged into your own personal windmill to recharge, it is not "zero emissions", is is just shifted emissions.  The tailpipe emissions are shifted to the smokestack at the coal fired power plant.  Yeah, the view across town in LA might be better, but it ain't helping West Virginia a bit. 

For the most part EV's are NOT paying any road taxes.  FRT and SRT is collect at the fuel pump by the gallon.  Zero gallons, zero taxes paid.  This is not just a problem with EV's, but high mileage vehicles in general are putting both the states and the federal highway fund in a pinch.  Lots more miles traveled per gallon, which equates to more wear and tear on the roads per tax dollar collected.  States are looking at ways to implement a per mile tax to add to or replace the current road tax, and some are trying pilot programs.  You would have to report annual mileage or have an electronic device on your car to log it.  Sort of like how the truckers have to report their mileage from each state traveled to fairly allocate the fuel taxes paid to the states where it was actually used. 

To me this is WAY too big brother having an electronic device reporting to the government in my own personal automobile, and they send me a bill.  On reflection, I guess that is not that different than an EZ Pass transponder, it simply converts EVERY road into a toll road.  I guess both of which are fairly big brother.

14 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Used to be, WAY, WAY back when I was driving big trucks (35 years ago) we had to keep track of the number of miles driven in each state. If we didn't purchase enough fuel to pay the road tax the difference was paid straight to the state. I am hoping that something like that is still in place for these trucks.

Still works that way, but you only need one IFTA sticker and they allocate the taxes to the states you drive in by the miles you report.  You don't have to have a separate fuel sticker and report to every state individually any more. 

7 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

Still works that way, but you only need one IFTA sticker and they allocate the taxes to the states you drive in by the miles you report.  You don't have to have a separate fuel sticker and report to every state individually any more. 

Geez, I remember there used to be a panel on each side I installed just to hold all the stickers...........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

21 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

The fleet program was separate from the consumer program for folks buying a Prius and such.

The Prius is a gasoline powered vehicle.  It's motor is a charging system to keep the batteries up.  Not extension cords required.

That said, I agree with you on the states running out of money due to increased fuel economy.  Indiana recently raised it's fuel tax rates to make up for the shortfall.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just now, rickeieio said:

The Prius is a gasoline powered vehicle.  It's motor is a charging system to keep the batteries up.  Not extension cords required.

That said, I agree with you on the states running out of money due to increased fuel economy.  Indiana recently raised it's fuel tax rates to make up for the shortfall.

You are correct on the Prius.  I just named that one off the top of my head.  But the fleet program my truck fell under was all "low emissions vehicles" as defined by the government at the time.  My Topkick does not have an extension cord either.  :rolleyes:

For heavy trucks my guess is IFTA will still apply, intrastate just tally the annual mileage and send a check.

I don't know what kind of tax credits the companies will get, they will get something.    I see it more as a PR stunt and cheap green advertising .      For a company like Pepsi the cost of the trucks is but a few  TV commercials on a major event.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I don't know how they are going to handle the electrics, just like at the moment they are giving a total pass for state and federal fuel taxes on vehicles running LNG(liquefied natural gas) or CNG(compressed) The assumption being they are "fostering" this new fuel to get it into the mainstream and then they will tax them them. Same with the whole ethanol thing. 

I have a sneaking suspicion it really isn't going to be an issue. There are more and more locations you pass under cameras at bridges, toll roads  and "Lexus Lanes"(people who will pay for a separate fast lane) and are billed via license plate recognition technology, with no transponder required. The Massachusetts Turnpike is one example. It would take nothing to extend the practice to all vehicles all the time at all locations. Pay for what you use. 

I didn't say I liked it. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Yes we are about to see that happening  here in Tidewater Va. The are going to start charging tolls on the HOV lanes anytime you use it. The price will differ depending on time of day. It has been free for the last 16 years. O well I guess that is progress. They did repave it this past year.    Pat

The Old Sailor

The Old Sailor

Archived