Laptop replacement

GlennWest

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why you specified that the laptop needs to be on the Verizon network.  Laptops aren't normally aren't on ANY network; they use wifi to connect to hotspots such as you are using.

I just bought an ASUS for my wife with an 8th gen Core i5, an HD screen (1920x 1280), 4GB of memory, and a 1TB HDD.  Less than 4 pounds.  $500 delivered.  I've already swapped the HDD it came with for the SSD from her old laptop.  A good deal IMHO.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

No, we want a unit to replace the laptop. Not buy another laptop. The limit we get tethered or hotspot can get used up. Recently happen to DW. Firefox Quatum upgrade, windows upgrades. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn - I may also not quite 'click' on what your asking. But, it sounds like you want to no if divine can replace a laptop, and be on the Verizon plan? Samsung Note's are pretty capable and bigger the most phone screens. I believe a Samsung Tab can be on a cellular plan, as they are (Or were at one time:)!), SIMM card capable. If you are on contract, and ready for upgrade, you might check with Verizon to see what is available to your form them. I believe it was the Tab 3 that I recall seeing the last time I was in one of their stores. And somehow a remember a laptop looking Samsung, Galaxy Book is one I think it was called, that was also capable of being on a SIMM card. It looked the closest to being a 'laptop'.

And if I misunderstood, just ignore my post:)!

Best, 

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I am as confused as others. Do you want a new laptop or are you looking for a new hotspot. If it is the latter several of the MVNO's offer unlimited access though at a certain point they may slow you down. You need to shop around. I know both Straight Talk and Cricket have unlimited plans for around $50-$55/month. Why are you limiting yourself to Verizon? Verizon and ATT both have large networks. Verizon is a bit broader the ATT but we have ATT for 2-3 years and have had minimal problems with coverage. We also have a Verizon based phone from LG and have had minimal coverage problems. From my viewpoint I would put them as equals.

OK. You want a better hotspot. First I would turn off the updates by saying you are on a metered network. That puts some of the control onto you. Second, in you options for Firefox stop the downloads until you can do them a a library or McDonalds etc. Third, don't do streaming.

Do you want to use your phone as the hotspot or have a separate mifi.

This whole area can get confusing fast. We have used both our phones and a mifi. Our preference is a mifi, for us, just a lot simpler. 

I think what Glenn is trying to get across is the fact that phones take less data than a laptop . And , as such , maybe they wouldn't run out of data as fast . 

Glenn , 

Which company do your hotspots get data from ?  Which internet service provider(s) ?

Goes around , comes around .

Glenn we are trying to understand what you are looking for. Your title says Laptop Replacement but as DocJ said laptops are on the network you interact with, whether it be the campground, your phone, a mifi, library etc.

I think the title confused many of us. Hows do you hook up to the internet now?

I feel you threw in the towel rather fast as we were just clarifying your needs.

What we use for a laptop now is a Chromebook and a Android tablet or one of our phones for a hotspot. No more Microsoft updates or program data hogs.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I think what Glenn is trying to get across is the fact that phones take less data than a laptop . And , as such , maybe they wouldn't run out of data as fast . 

Glenn , 

Which company do your hotspots get data from ?  Which internet service provider(s) ?

We use Verizon Phones as hotspots. Phones never run out of data. Laptops use most of our allowed tethered or hotspot data, 15 gig. Was asking for a device to take the place of our laptops. In my mindset that is a replacement. I would like for the tablet or whatever it is called to be able to use mobile data plan.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

25 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

We use Verizon Phones as hotspots. Phones never run out of data. Laptops use most of our allowed tethered or hotspot data, 15 gig. Was asking for a device to take the place of our laptops. In my mindset that is a replacement. I would like for the tablet or whatever it is called to be able to use mobile data plan.

Most of our data usage is on a tablet that has it's own number on our Verizon plan not sure how that would work on a unlimited plan, we aren't on a unlimited plan. If you do go with a tablet look at a Samsung we didn't and wish we did.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

The simplest solution would be to change to an unlimited data plan. Last year we had a Cricket (ATT) unlimited plan and it was $55/month. This year we jumped on the ATT Mobley offer in Feb/Mar for $20/month. This plan is no longer available.

You could also change to the Linux operating system to lessen the downloads or, as I said before, change your options for Windows and Firefox to limit their downloads.

Can someone explain to me the comment that phones never run out of data? All plans we have ever had have a common data pool that either the phone uses or the PC uses. Ar their plans that have 2 pools of data?

My understanding is that some plans have data limits when using a phone as a hotspot. But no limit when simply using the phone by itself to access data.

if this is the case, I can understand how the OP is running out of data when using phone as hotspot for laptop.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

You can get a tablet with that runs on Verizon directly.  They also make cases with keyboards to make the tablet behave much like a small laptop if you want.  Verizon shows many 8 and 10" tablets on their website, with a deal right now of an Asus 10" tablet for $149.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

57 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I have seen the 10" tablets. I am using a 15" laptop. Are y'all using that smaller size comfortably? 

Addressing the size only, the DW recently switched from a 15" laptop to an 11.2" tablet and seems to have no issues at all and her vision is not the best when it comes to reading small text.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I have seen the 10" tablets. I am using a 15" laptop. Are y'all using that smaller size comfortably? 

I'm using a 8" tablet on 4G LTE for most of my use but on certain things we use the Chromebook tablet running off the tablet hotspot. I'm think that when I replace my 8" tablet I will look at 10", they are making some that have a keyboard that flips to the back.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

There are tablets with screens larger than 10". I've seen 12" screens on both Android OS and iOS (Apple) tablets that you can get with cellular capabilities (as opposed to WiFi ONLY). If your phones are Android-based, I'd recommend that you stay with an Android tablet and, if possible, get the same make as your phone (Samsung, LG etc). That way you're less likely to have vastly different Android versions to deal with. If one of your phones runs Android and the other runs iOS, it's your choice; you could get an Android or an iPad (if you don't mind the added cost). A wireless keyboard makes using a tablet easier (more computer-like). As already mentioned, you should adjust your settings and turn off automatic software/App updates. That way YOU get to decide when to add updates that are likely to use up large amounts of data. Most Denny's locations have free WiFi (ask if a password is required when you're seated). I always bring my laptop into Denny's and use their internet connection rather than data I have to pay for (and Denny's offers discounts to AARP members and makes a nice Banana Split as added bonuses!). 

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. T-Mo's "Senior Plan" (55 and older) gets you TWO phone lines EACH with unlimited EVERYTHING (talk, text, data & tethering) for $60 with NO additional taxes/fees/surcharges! If you look at T-Mo's coverage map, they now rival Verizon! 

8 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

There are tablets with screens larger than 10". I've seen 12" screens on both Android OS and iOS (Apple) tablets that you can get with cellular capabilities (as opposed to WiFi ONLY). If your phones are Android-based, I'd recommend that you stay with an Android tablet and, if possible, get the same make as your phone (Samsung, LG etc). That way you're less likely to have vastly different Android versions to deal with. If one of your phones runs Android and the other runs iOS, it's your choice; you could get an Android or an iPad (if you don't mind the added cost). A wireless keyboard makes using a tablet easier (more computer-like). As already mentioned, you should adjust your settings and turn off automatic software/App updates. That way YOU get to decide when to add updates that are likely to use up large amounts of data. Most Denny's locations have free WiFi (ask if a password is required when you're seated). I always bring my laptop into Denny's and use their internet connection rather than data I have to pay for (and Denny's offers discounts to AARP members and makes a nice Banana Split as added bonuses!). 

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. T-Mo's "Senior Plan" (55 and older) gets you TWO phone lines EACH with unlimited EVERYTHING (talk, text, data & tethering) for $60 with NO additional taxes/fees/surcharges! If you look at T-Mo's coverage map, they now rival Verizon! 

You are the only one I have read that T mobile rival Verizon. Yes, I see in large cities but not in the "out of the way " places our rv parks are. We want to stay with Android or Windows. Don't believe CoPolit even works on Mac. Nor DNA Connect either. We do see little difference in AT&T vs Verizon. 

4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

You are the only one I have read that T mobile rival Verizon. Yes, I see in large cities but not in the "out of the way " places our rv parks are. We want to stay with Android or Windows. Don't believe CoPolit even works on Mac. Nor DNA Connect either. We do see little difference in AT&T vs Verizon. 

We too have T-Mobile and it has gotten immensely better in coverage over the last couple of years and is growing all the time. We took a trip last summer where we were in 12 different, mostly northern, states before all was said and done. We did have trouble with data coverage in a couple of places but we never were without call capability due to partnering arrangements with other carriers.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived