ET hitch handle mod

GlennWest

Was looking at video on Comfort Ride hitch and, no I like my ET hitch, but the handle is very cool. Has anyone tried this on an ET? Mine uses the Holland head. Seems a shaped piece of pipe and a spring or lever attached to pipe handle and pin would work in and out with handle like the comfort ride.

I made an different handle for our ET that also added two additional safety pins as well. It makes it very easy to unlock and gets the handle out of the way of everything. Would post pics here but that is a pain on this site. If you want to see what mine looks like, I can post them on the Facebook HDT site. I  still use a release handle that I bought at a truck stop to pull the pin but I don't want that pin coming out too easy for obvious reasons.

24 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I made an different handle for our ET that also added two additional safety pins as well. It makes it very easy to unlock and gets the handle out of the way of everything. Would post pics here but that is a pain on this site. If you want to see what mine looks like, I can post them on the Facebook HDT site. I  still use a release handle that I bought at a truck stop to pull the pin but I don't want that pin coming out too easy for obvious reasons.

simply go here: http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

drag and drop a photo file or click on select and choose the photo you want to upload. 

copy the link that it gives you and then simply paste it into the post and your photo will appear.

Edited by lockmup68

An oversize pin boxes are a problem with the diminutive handle on an ETs with the Super Binkley head. I recognize it.

The Super ET head solves all the problems associated with the regular round Binkley head, but in order to accommodate the technical changes, it had to be larger and the area through which the old handle traversed went away, hence the short handle. Works with standard pinboxes, but not with modified pinboxes (like Moryde's) and oversize high capacity pinboxes.

The most recent problem was on a 45 foot New Horizon, which for number of reasons had to be equipped with a straight down (I think it was 32K) pinbox. The flat extension handle that I manufacture would not go under the oversize lip, similar to the picture above. Upon getting home I modified a standard handle, which minimally altered the handle (size wise) and solved the problem for the customer.

bV0w5zml.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013

Ax8r3400, thanks for posting the video.

I want to point out something that might not be so obvious. ET hitch is the only hitch on the market that incorporates anti-chucking mechanism in its design. During this pull Av8r make number of starts and stops, observe carefully when he takes off, how the hitch compensates for the "chuck" that develops when there is a momentary loss of power between gear shifts, particularly on the lower gears.

Also in few instances when he brakes you can see how the hitch "dives down" converting the forward chuck into a down vector.

Edited by phoenix2013

On 12/13/2017 at 7:32 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Here is the design I went to. This one will clear anything we have looked at so far but the dimensions can always be modified to fit. You can also see the plate that was welded to the hitch to make the new safety pins work.

nyp8Rygl.jpg

wNy3dnil.jpg

Rr7Zzw8l.jpg

Willing to make some to sell ??  I really could use that on my hitch !!  

On 12/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, Pug said:

Willing to make some to sell ??  I really could use that on my hitch !!  

On 12/15/2017 at 1:04 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Flat extension handle available for the short head handles.

wZ7pWgTl.jpg

ECGvh86l.jpg

8sgOiI3l.jpg

18 inches long 

Do you sell these handles I would buy one if you do.