Comfort Ride Hitch, how to mount, between rails or on top?

mr. cob

Dave I posted how you can know your frame height above. There is no "standard height" for class 8 rails and "hitches".  Rails are spec'd first, then axles, tires and wheels, then suspension. 5th wheel  height above the rails is then specd by choosing the appropriate riser for the application.  

Not being a cob either:D

pm sent 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Sorry I shared my experience, observations and measurments from the ECR.  I had not seen the 2nd thread at the time - only this one.  It would help to keep everything in a single thread rather than adding additional threads.  You were not clear in this thread on how you were getting to the truck or what you were bringing home, which is why I responded the way I did.  I urge you to be clear about your intentions in any future postings to save unnecessary replies that you apparently do not appreciate.  It is a pretty truck and I hope all works out for you.  I am looking forward to seeing your changes and more pics.  Blessings.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

3 minutes ago, RandyA said:

Sorry I shared my experience, observations and measurments from the ECR.  I had not seen the 2nd thread at the time - only this one.  It would help to keep everything in a single thread rather than adding additional threads.  You were not clear in this thread on how you were getting to the truck or what you were bringing home, which is why I responded the way I did.  I urge you to be clear about your intentions in any future postings to save unnecessary replies that you apparently do not appreciate.  It is a pretty truck and I hope all works out for you.  I am looking forward to seeing your changes and more pics.  Blessings.

Howdy Randy,

It was not my intent to insult you and if I did, I sincerely apologize.

I try to use a title that states what my threads will be about, I use multiple threads in an effort to keep to one topic rather then ask a bunch of different questions in one thread and then have to read through what can quickly become a confusing thread to find the information I need. 

Thanks for the well wishes, I too hope this truck is worth the effort I am going through to get it and the time others have put into helping me make it happen.  If I bring this thing home, I'll start a gallery dedicated to the truck and all that I do to it.  If there's one thing I do need, it's blessings being a "Cob", "Mr. Cob" is my nick name given to me many years ago as I am sometimes gruff,  I tend to ruffle feathers when it's not my intent.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

OK, Rick is the last word on all this stuff. But we routinely mount Comfort Ride hitches and it does vary based on the truck. On a Volvo 730 that has standard frame height we mounted a 308HD, set to its lowest position ON TOP of 1/2" plate on the frame rails (on top). It is at around 51", so after there trailer is on it, it will be 49". The air cells depress about 2" for each 900 lbs on an individual cell. I'm not near any hitches/trucks at the moment, but you do have to measure YOUR truck carefully before mounting.

Howdy Jack,

Thanks for your post, it's the "compression" thing on the Comfort Ride, that has me asking so many questions, the numbers you just gave are of great help. 

On my EZ-Floater, hitch the ride height is controlled by air pressure and an adjustable magnetic switch.  If you get the pin box set reasonably close to the trailer being level you can fine tune it by adjusting the magnetic switch up or down to get it perfect. 

I attended Rick's presentation at the National Rally and gathered that the ride height was tune-able but one still needs a base number to shoot for.

Dave

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I don't have one so if you want me to shut up just say so. Won't hurt my feelings. The lowest setting is 15". Frame height is 40". That is 55" pin height. Will have to go between chassis. 

Howdy Glenn,

Sorry if you were offended by my post.  Thanks for the numbers, it's looking more and more like the hitch will have to be mounted in-between the frame rails, I kinda figured that but wanted the knowledge of others to enable me to make a better decision.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I guess I get so detailed in my posts as I think it's not only me that may be learning but many others who are or may at some time be contemplating the same issues as I am dealing with now.  I look on this forum and its members as great resource of knowledge and information, I have been a member here for four years now and have benefited immensely from the knowledge of others I can only hope that in that time I have shared what I have learned over many years as a machinist, welder, fabricator, in a meaningful with others. 

One of the reason I take  and post so many photos is as the old saying goes, "A picture is worth 10,000 words."  When I built the straight down pin box I posted a lot of photos, quite a few folks have commented to me that those photos were of great help to them when they built or were looking to buy a straight down pin box.  As I work on this next truck, I'll be taking photos every step of the way, they will be available to ANYONE for their own personal use, it's my way of giving back for all the help others have given me.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I just need to figure out how to post pics. 

Glenn - you drag them from your desktop or folder into the box below "drag files here to attach, or choose files"  - 

so that the software can tell you your standard phone pic is too large to post  :D...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

So which thread is gonna be the one with the truck dimensions?  Put up a list of the dimensions you need and I'll answer them to the mm.  You don't need to measure it when getting there.

Loaded frame height on this exact one is 19.6" (tire SLR) + 8.5" (susp height) + 10.75" (rail height) = 38.85".  Add an inch-ish for the tires partly loaded. 

5th wheel is inboard, that means that the 5th wheel plate is welded to the angles, they face inward, and are then bolted to the rail.  Angles come off with the 5th wheel and there will not be angles with holes in them left over to mount a hitch plate.  You'll need to make angles when you make your plate.

Truck was optioned for all Hucks.  Plan for that too.

4 minutes ago, Scrap said:

So which thread is gonna be the one with the truck dimensions?  Put up a list of the dimensions you need and I'll answer them to the mm.  You don't need to measure it when getting there.

Loaded frame height on this exact one is 19.6" (tire SLR) + 8.5" (susp height) + 10.75" (rail height) = 38.85".  Add an inch-ish for the tires partly loaded. 

5th wheel is inboard, that means that the 5th wheel plate is welded to the angles, they face inward, and are then bolted to the rail.  Angles come off with the 5th wheel and there will not be angles with holes in them left over to mount a hitch plate.  You'll need to make angles when you make your plate.

Truck was optioned for all Hucks.  Plan for that too.

Howdy Scrap,

This thread is where I asked for hitch mounting advice measurements and photos.  I understand what you have said about wheel base and now hitch height.

What I need to understand now is the comment you made about the front axle being steerable, I am "assuming" that means it cuts at a sharper angle but I don't know.  As to "optioned for all Hucks" again I am not aware of what that means?  If you could clear those things up for me I sure would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is a 12000 lb wide track axle.  Moves the kingpins further out so you can get a turn angle in the 40's with a set forward axle.  Ho-hum today but was really new in 2001.

Everything on the frame is a squeezed on Huck instead of a regular nut and bolt.  Takes a torch or grinder or something to take them off.  Luckily an 01 is the old Hucks that have a hex to them.  They might spin off, maybe.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/129589-what-kind-of-wrench/?tab=comments#comment-921080

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/129623-difference-between-torque-and-clamp/?tab=comments#comment-921494

10 minutes ago, Scrap said:

It is a 12000 lb wide track axle.  Moves the kingpins further out so you can get a turn angle in the 40's with a set forward axle.  Ho-hum today but was really new in 2001.

Everything on the frame is a squeezed on Huck instead of a regular nut and bolt.  Takes a torch or grinder or something to take them off.  Luckily an 01 is the old Hucks that have a hex to them.  They might spin off, maybe.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/129589-what-kind-of-wrench/?tab=comments#comment-921080

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/129623-difference-between-torque-and-clamp/?tab=comments#comment-921494

Howdy Scrap,

Thanks, I don't know about others but I am learning a lot from this thread.  As the Hucks are a one time use item and I am "assuming" the ones with the hex on them can't be tightened once installed, are they stronger-better then a bolted together assembly or just quicker to build on a production line?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

That gives me errors every time. 

go here: 

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

drag and drop the photo or choose select and choose the photo you want to upload. When the pic is uploaded, it will give you a file. Copy that filename and simply past it into your post. The photo will show up when you hit "post" or "save."

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

The Hucks are lifetime.  You don't have to re-torque every 100K like the regulars.  If I remember right that option used to be packaged with all of the Extended Service options that were the big deal in the late 90's and early 2000's.  They are one time use.  Frame ones used to really suck on the assembly line actually.  All the cab ones are just a way of life.

Archived