8.1 liter Chevy engine - last year used in RV

I had that beast in my first RV tow vehicle. . .a 2009 Silverado  extended cab with Allison tranny pulling our 30 ft. Airstream Classic with a Hensley Hitch.  Twelve to fourteen mpg pulling or not.  Sweet!!!

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

That was a very strong gas motor along with the Ford V-10.The V10 is still powers motor homes. We had the V-10 and had friends with the 8.1 pulling heavy 5th wheels. The MPG was very, very low particularity in the mountains  . We traded our V-10 for a diesel after 2 years of towing.  They were both pulling beast  the friend with the 8.1  now has a dodge diesel. IMO the V-10 gas motor  as  the 8.1 gasser was not suitable for heavy Rv's. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a used Class A, and I won't buy anything but a Ford-powered coach. The Ford approach appeals to me. More displacement, lower compression. Works for me. Reminds me of the airplane i used to own. Besides, I keep reading is a beast, more like a diesel. I just don't know how to work a diesel, and I don't want to. Not at my age. So, a hard-pullin' Ford is what I seek. Budget, solar not included, is about $20K. A number of immediate add-ons. The aforementioned solar setup and an Excel tankless water heater, removing the booth seats and putting in individual chairs for that. Will free up some space during non-eating hours.

12 hours ago, OldMan said:

I'm looking for a used Class A, and I won't buy anything but a Ford-powered coach.

If you want something that is built in the past 10 years, it will be Ford powered as it is the only choice available. We had an early V-10 Ford chassis for 14 years (bought new) and never regretted the choice. The average fuel mileage for the entire time figured out to be a respectable 7.81 mpg. Highway milages usually exceeded 8 mpg traveling at 60 mph. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The 8.1 is the only Chevy I'd drive.

Yes, cruise control (at 59MPH) will be the salvation of fuel mileage. Cruise control and driving when others are not. Nights on the weekend, daytime during the week (avoiding congested places). I've already got my "theoretical first trip," as a fulltimer all sussed out. To early to commit, but as it stands now, trout fishing and a visit to the Very Large Array are included in that trip. I've been a space nut since 1960. I was 7 when Smilin' Al Shepard was the first American in space. I was hooked.

We had the Ford V-10 in a 2005  F-350 pulling a 5th wheel GCVW @ 23K  perhaps a bit more. MPG was not good and it was weak in the mountains of the South west.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

16 hours ago, OldMan said:

Hoping to find one with a Banks system already installed.

We had no problem pulling the steepest grades but with high RPM,s  and perhaps 35 or 40 MPH and a lot of engine screaming. The V-10 is built for that. At high altitude we ran out of motor Pulling   23K or so. The  Combined vehicle weight produced low MPG if that is a issue. It was more a annoyance factor with the noise and screaming than anything else .  The banks system would be a wise choice  however IMO the V-10 does not need more power as it has plenty. Your choice of course but again IMO having pulled with both the diesel is a better choice.

9 hours ago, richfaa said:

We had no problem pulling the steepest grades but with high RPM,s  and perhaps 35 or 40 MPH and a lot of engine screaming. The V-10 is built for that. At high altitude we ran out of motor Pulling   23K or so. The  Combined vehicle weight produced low MPG if that is a issue. It was more a annoyance factor with the noise and screaming than anything else .  The banks system would be a wise choice  however IMO the V-10 does not need more power as it has plenty. Your choice of course but again IMO having pulled with both the diesel is a better choice.

Several things:

Diesel is expensive. I don't know anything about them and thus I won't be able to work on them. If I was younger I'd dig in, but at my age, no. Did that years ago with flying and airplanes. More money pits.

You ran out of pulling with the V10 or the 8.1?

Ran out of motor with the V-10 at high altitude. Right now the difference in price diesel/gas here in Florida is gas 2.59 diesel 2.89 better MPG on the diesel will make up for the  difference in cost over time. We also use the FJ/ Pilot RV plus card for 7 cents off diesel.

We are not knocking the V-10  had we  only  towed on fairly level ground or been low end users we would have stayed with it. It just was not suitable for us for high end use all over the country. We are just stating our experience and opinion.

It sounds like you have your mind made up.The V-10 will pull you wherever you want to go so go with what ever suits your present needs.

21 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

When compared to gasoline engines, diesel engines are also expensive. 

That's a fact.  Depending on the size/year/manufacturer, they are expensive to upkeep/repair.  They have lots more torque than gas, infact if done right, diesels can be some serious horse power/torque monsters way surpassing gas albeit expensive to do.  More expensive to buy in vehicles new also.  That being said, I drive one.  Me thinks this is way off topic, if so, plz excuse.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, Jeff & Suzanne said:

I had that beast in my first RV tow vehicle. . .a 2009 Silverado  extended cab with Allison tranny pulling our 30 ft. Airstream Classic with a Hensley Hitch.  Twelve to fourteen mpg pulling or not.  Sweet!!

Did you do anything to the engine to get that great mileage?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

1 minute ago, gypsydan said:

Did you do anything to the engine to get that great mileage?

Just regular maintenance and no lead foot.  We usually kept our speed at 60 on highways.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

The Ford V-10 in our 34' Class A towing a 3500 lb toad takes us up the 6% grade through Fancy Gap on I-77 going from Charlotte, NC to Ft Chiswell, VA without dropping below 55 MPH. Our previous Ford 460 V-8 powered coach would drop to around 40 pulling the same stretch. The bottom line though, was that both coaches always got us where we were going...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived