Chevy Colorado Diesel

Rick_W

A co-worker is about to retire and currently has an 18 ft TT (approximately 3500 dry/4500 at traveling weight).

He's looking to tow out west next year and was wondering if the Colorado with diesel would be a viable option.

Any input?

Thank.

Rick_W

CPO-USN(Ret)

You don't know what you don't know!

I tow a trailer of roughly that same size with our 2003, Dodge/Cummins, 2500 model. It handles the trailer easily with no strain at all and only downshifts on the steeper grades.

I do not think you can make a reasonable  comparison between the performance of the diesel engines available in the full size pickups to that of the 2.8L 4 cyl diesel engine  that produces 181 HP and 369 ft. lbs. of torque that is available in the Colorado. You can see the Colorado's specs here. The GVWR is 6000#, Max towing 7700#, GCWR 12700#, Max payload 1451# for the long bed crew cab which would have the longest wheel base. So it may work. If the truck is loaded to the GVWR, that leaves 6700# for the trailer. A trailer of 4500# means a hitch weight of 450-675# leaving 1000# or less of cargo capacity in the truck for extra passengers, etc. One also needs to consider if the towing specifications are based on a trailer with a smaller frontal area than the travel trailer being considered as this will also affect the towing capability.

3 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

the diesel engines available in the full size pickups to that of the 2.8L 4 cyl diesel engine  that produces 181 HP and 369 ft. lbs. of torque that is available in the Colorado.

I completely missed the fact that he is looking at the little 4 cyl diesel. Good catch

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I do not think you can make a reasonable  comparison between the performance of the diesel engines available in the full size pickups to that of the 2.8L 4 cyl diesel engine  that produces 181 HP and 369 ft. lbs. of torque that is available in the Colorado. You can see the Colorado's specs here. The GVWR is 6000#, Max towing 7700#, GCWR 12700#, Max payload 1451# for the long bed crew cab which would have the longest wheel base. So it may work. If the truck is loaded to the GVWR, that leaves 6700# for the trailer. A trailer of 4500# means a hitch weight of 450-675# leaving 1000# or less of cargo capacity in the truck for extra passengers, etc. One also needs to consider if the towing specifications are based on a trailer with a smaller frontal area than the travel trailer being considered as this will also affect the towing capability.

I was hoping there might be someone with first-hand towing experience with one.

I've read the charts but what's printed on paper as acceptable doesn't always translate to seat-of-the-pants acceptable.

Especially out West.

I do appreciate the responses so far.

Rick_W

CPO-USN(Ret)

You don't know what you don't know!

1 hour ago, Rick_W said:

...A co-worker is about to retire and currently has an 18 ft TT...wondering if the Colorado with diesel would be a viable option...I was hoping there might be someone with first-hand towing experience with one....

You may have better luck finding someone with actual experience by posting on a forum that has more small travel trailer owners than participate on this forum. If the manufacturer of his trailer has an owner's group, you may be able to get information from owners of the same model about what they tow with and the performance of the tow vehicle(s).

Archived