On Board Diagnostics

Shallow Draft

Has anyone tried the OBD tools that are available for under $200.00?

I see them on ebay and if they work I can see value in clearing some pesky codes that pop up from time to time.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I use VMSPC on a small tablet computer.  You select your engine.  It is a great electronic dashboard, too. http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/6

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I spoke with two very experienced auto mechanics I've known for 10+ years re inexpensive scan tools. BOTH were of the opinion that such commonly available OBD readers were a waste of money. Such a unit may or may not be able to read a vehicle's error and, may or may not be able to clear said error. In 2016, on my way back east from the National HDT Rally, I got a non-specific error code (yellow light but NO alpha-numeric information. The manual indicated a "non-specific emissions" problem). I got to a Pilot Truck Stop and paid ~ $90 for a mechanic to use a scan tool. He could NOT pinpoint the problem (he guessed it was an O2 sensor) but, he was able to reset it. About 200 miles later, the light came back on (I just kept driving). When I got home, I went to a Freightliner shop the next day and was told that, if the error code had not been tripped again, they would NOT have been able to determine exactly what happened (they said it was a nitrous oxide sensor which they replaced under warranty). Bottom line, the "scan tool" used at the Pilot Truck Stop FAILED to identify the true problem and, resetting an error code might prevent a shop that has more advanced equipment from being able to locate the actual problem. As HDT owners, we LOVE tools and gizmos and, spending $100 or so, is not likely to break us. How useful the information we get from an inexpensive scan tool is questionable though and, may cause as many problems as it solves. So, I have to say that the answer is a DEFINITE maybe. 

Before buying anything I would make sure you don't have something in your box of tricks. We have a Class A and had a code come up, meaningless but aggravating. I then remembered we had added a 5 Star Tune and could read and reset codes. Worked very easily and the code hasn't reappeared.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/

Reads most codes and can also be customized.

J1939 deutsch connector.jpg

This is what the plug looks like on a Volvo.  Plug is located facing downward on the lower left side dash panel adjacent to the hood release handle. This is referred to a 9 pin deutsch connector. It is the test plug for both the J1939 and J1708 network protocols used. This is what is used on most HDT's in place of OBD II.

Be aware the scangauge has issues with some 2008 (and other years) volvos. When I plugged it in it caused a traction control fault. They said it's a known problem and they can't fix it.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

8 hours ago, Ronbo said:

I have wondered if my scangaige would work with one of these.

https://obd2allinone.com/ad-J1939.asp

If your rig and scangauge both talk J1939 and the only issue is the connector, then I would think it would do the trick.  If your rig talks ODB II and your scangauge talks J1939 then I think you are out of luck.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Archived