Truck Registration

NDBirdman

I have a 2015 Ran 3500 dually and a 2002 Park Avenue 32ft camper.  My truck (new to me as well as the rv) is registered at 16k (and change) weight.  Am I good, or do I need to change the registration weight?  Truck weighs around 8.5k and max weight per manufactured for camper is 14k.  Do I need to change the registration card to say 24,000?  I have time to do it before I pull it again, just want to be legal across all state lines/laws.  Per Dodge, my truck is good up to 27,400 so no problem there.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I'm a little confused about your question.  Are you talking about Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) for a single vehicle (the truck and anything in the truck) or are you talking about Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW) for a combination of vehicles (truck and trailer and all their respective contents)?

Either way if you are in a state that requires you to declare a weight (which is sounds like you are), then you want to declare a weight slightly more than you will every actually carry/tow.  By declaring slightly more, it gives you a little fudge room if you are ever put on a scale.  You still need to keep the max weight under what the truck is rated for by the manufacturer.  If your truck weighs 8.5K before you add the camper and the camper weighs 14K (8.5 + 14 = 22.5) then you need to register it for at least 22.5K.  I would probably register it at 24K like you suggested to give yourself a little wiggle room just in case

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I will go out and look at the registration card, it's in the truck and we are getting hammered right now.  All the card says is registered weight at top of box with the 16k typed in.  I don't know if that is for GVW or GCVW.  I'm just trying to make sure this newbie has his bases covered before I hit the road.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

16 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

Out of curiosity, of the 3 states commonly used by full-timers (SD, FL, TX), which of them require the owner to declare a weight for their truck?

Florida does.  They base their registration cost on weight.  For the first 2 years the state automatically maxed me out at 13K.  I dropped it to 9K and saved money ever since.  The clerk gave me the same fear factor story...oh if you ever get pulled over and weighted, blah, blah, blah.

When was the last time you saw a pickup/5er on a LEO scale?  Personally, I have NEVER seen it, so I'll keep my money in my pocket, thank you.

19 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Florida does.  They base their registration cost on weight.

Looking at my Texas truck registration, it also lists weights but they appear to have come from the manufacturer's information as it has EMPTY WEIGHT 4500, CARRYING CAPACITY 1500, & GROSS WEIGHT 6000. I bought the truck from a widowed neighbor in 2014 and all of those numbers came from the previous owner's registration. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When I registered my HDzt in Texas I had to have a weight ticket. They then had me give a weight I wanted for the truck. There was never a discussion of the total weight with the trailer. They just didn’t want the declared weight being less than the actual weight.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived