AIR LEAKS-I give up!

ARGO

I have been over this truck with soapy water, and even bought a Whisper. Found some small ones, but this thing still loses 90% air within a couple hours, both tanks 1&2.  There were mentions of leaks at the tanks from rust. I have douche'd them several times, and stuck the Whisper in every crevice and hole close to the tanks, no luck. Now understand, I put this thing together almost every bolt & screw, damned if I can find it. Checked ALL the obscure fittings in the pass thru, under the dash, air seats, ad infinitum.  For those that replaced tanks, what was the clue?  Don't want to drop them if I should see/hear SOMEthing first  

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Don't know what your truck is.  If it is an auto-shift, try the Whisper on the top/rear of the transmission.  I had to get the Whisper right up above the tyranny to find it, and it was a big leak.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Where the tanks sit in the straps are where they are prone to rust or corrode thru.  Check your air governor and dryer thoroughly.  If you're losing air on front and rear brake systems, then you have a leak somewhere in the dryer to tanks to dash valve area.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Did you check leveling valves and airbags?  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

check the exhaust brake controler. Mine leaked and I think it exhausts into the exhaust pipe so it is hard to detect.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Sorry all. Volvo 610 w/Cummins. (Therefore no ex brake controller).  Yeah, it's an AS, I'll try the trans top more thoroughly (again). Rear susp- tks, but have a pillow under there for naps because I check it so much. Ditto on the fan clutch, tks.  

Argo,

Air leaks are a real PITA. I once had one I could hear on the front frame rail. Ended up being a straight line push in connector buried in the middle of a bundle of electrical and airlines. Thanks to sclord2002, he had small enough hands to reach in and get it. My big hands couldn’t reach it from above or below. Good luck 😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Do you have a way to hook a compressor to the truck to charge the air?  Use the truck to get everything aired up, Shut truck off, hook a compressor to the truck and move compressor away as far as you can to help eliminate noise.  This will give you full pressure longer to find leaks.  The longer a leak runs, the slower and quieter it becomes.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm 10 miles north of the Baltimore killing zone.

I can air up the truck by engine or compressor, but "in the still of the night" cannot hear any. OK, I'm old & deaf but I can hear the Whisper and it doesn't alert even way up. I'll try the trans top again, but seems like the only area I haven't gotten RIGHT UP NEXT TO are the tanks. I'm ready to submerge the truck & watch for bubbles...........

Argo, are you using headphones with your Whisper? I ask because some use it without them and you can't hear anything and have to rely on the lights. With a good set of headphones, I can hear a small leak from 10' away and I have a severe hearing loss.

As large as your leak is, you should be able to hear it easily.If nothing else, try a younger pair of ears :)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

You oughta check out the headphones (I have Peltor's) cops use at shooting ranges. They amplify the sound quite a bit, enough that when I tried out my pair in the hotel the night before the range, I could hear the folks in the next room (and this was at a nice Marriot with real walls) talking and carrying on.

I'd wager that with those, you'll hear the hiss.

Used the Whisper w/ headphones, entire truck. Found several small leaks, but nothing like what would result in complete air loss in that short a time.  Now for the good news- the seats and rear suspension stay up maybe 18 minutes longer than the #1 tank. Should I buy a lottery ticket?

Look at the check valves on your front and rear tanks.

Sometimes shaving cream in place of soapy water will “show” smaller leaks. 

Lots of valves will leak internally and make it hard to find. 

Cummins ISX check the turbo actuator control valve... sliver box, drivers side below the air compressor. Follow braided line over to turbo and check for leaks.

Engine fan hub and associated lines and connections.

Parking brake valves and lines are bad apples for leaking.

Above the air tanks located on the inboard side of the frame rail is a “brake control valve”. Looks like a junction box of lines. Gen 1 Volvo’s have 6 lines going in and out and Gen 2 have 8. Leaks internally all the time. Some airtank fittings have a protective boot to keep out crud. These sometimes will mask a leak.  

Sometimes you need to “wiggle” the air lines a bit to hear the leaks.

Temperature changes will also reveal new leaks.

If you do find a PTC fitting leaking you can usually repair it by replacing the o-ring inside instead of buying a new fitting.

As mentioned air bags and leveling valves can leak and drive you crazy! You can inflate your bags to “reveal” the bottom edge and check for weather cracking. Lots of bags look ok but need replacing.  

If you can “isolate” your front and rear tanks you can get a better picture of what may be causing your leaks. Front system includes a lot of your accessories, such as seats. Rear is mainly rear brake system and such.

Do you have an air ride hitch?  Check it out.

Just thinking out load....

Tks for the tips. Cummins N14, Jake brake no air actuator. Checked under truck extensively, max brakes both on & off w/wheels blocked. Air ride hitch has positive shut off valve.

Keep coming with the ideas pls.

Argo      I had to replace my tanks because, as stated before, they were leaking around the straps. 98 610 w/N14 Cummins and a super 10 trans. We could hear the leaking. When I took the straps off there were holes the size of quarters. No weld repair new(used alum tanks from Eubanks in Richmond Va $100) ones replaced and air would hold for 2 days but now it leaks down over night. I will probably look in early Apr. We spent 7 1/2 wks on the road and no real problems.  We are in Chesapeake Va.   Pat

The Old Sailor

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Shallow Draft said:

check the exhaust brake controler. Mine leaked and I think it exhausts into the exhaust pipe so it is hard to detect.

That is exactly where mine was leaking, and it does exhaust into the exhaust pipe.  I have replaced just about every thing, and still have some leaks, SOMETIMES!!!  Other time the truck holds air fairly good.   I also gave up.  Good luck.     

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Another trick that works to locate a problem leak, is to isolate parts of the truck, like front, transmission, air tanks,  rear suspension.  With the firewall manifold you can unhook lines and insert a plug.  Or temporarily cap off a line.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 1 month later...

Trip to Tampa was fun, got to meet "hewhoknowslittle" & ".....much".  Watched the air gauges all the way down & up, "R" gauge holds steady at 120 but "F" tank cycles continuously between 100 & 120,  about one cycle in a minute. I realize compressor kicks on & off, but I'm not spitting or using that much air at highway speed smooth road/fan off etc.  Anyone got a ( 2000 )VNL-specific air diagram? One on resource guide seems to be generic.  

35 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Trip to Tampa was fun, got to meet "hewhoknowslittle" & ".....much".  Watched the air gauges all the way down & up, "R" gauge holds steady at 120 but "F" tank cycles continuously between 100 & 120,  about one cycle in a minute. I realize compressor kicks on & off, but I'm not spitting or using that much air at highway speed smooth road/fan off etc.  Anyone got a ( 2000 )VNL-specific air diagram? One on resource guide seems to be generic.  

Hi ARGO,

Did the guys find any air leaks for you ? Curious minds need to know.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

47 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Keep in mind the engine brake uses air too. It's a place where you could end up consuming a good amount of air.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Archived