Mobley problems

I was an early adopter of the Mobley device, and have it hard wired into my RV.  It has worked fine, I've used as much as 90GB in one month with no noticeable slowdowns.  But recently I am having undefined issues, and am wondering if anyone else has seen and fixed this?

When I log into my Mobley as usual, speeds are fine, everything works.  Then all of a sudden the Internet connection drops.  If I try to log back in I get the message "Cannot connect to the Internet".  If I then do a cold reboot it comes back up and works for a while, then the above cycle repeats.  It used to happen once a day, now maybe 5 or 6 times a day.  I know when it goes down not only for myself but by the looks I get from DW :(

I'm wondering if maybe it is location specific, as I am in an area where phone signals are weak.  Tomorrow, I move to a different location, and I'm hoping all will be well again (love the $20 unlimited!).   Meanwhile, if someone has any other ideas, I'll be open to anything...

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Our Mobley sometimes drops the connection after 24-36 hours, requiring a cold reboot, so I plugged the 120-volt power brick I use with it into small light timer set to turn it off for 30 minutes at 4 AM when we're unlikely to be using it. No problems after that. I've just switched the Mobley SIM back into my Netgear Unite hotspot though, so I can't say how long term that solution is.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Ours has worked nicely from day one , in locations from North central Illinois to Queen Creek , Arizona .

We unplug the unit every night and when we won't be using it for hours on end . 

I noticed that the unit does produce a fair amount of heat when plugged in . We all know that heat is the 'enemy' of electronics .

Goes around , comes around .

I had more issues in my summer location than now. I have mine independant in my trailer on an off on power switch.  I still had non prime service a couple of time. I even thought it might have been affected  by weather. The signal to the mobley I mean.

We have had the Mobley since March with no problems until we got to Northern Phoenix area. Works great most of the time but it seems the system goes down periodically. Unplugging doesn't help, just need to wait for the system to come back. Only have 1 green light when this happens.

We have been in other locations for a week or 2 and not had this problem so I am attributing it to problems in the area.

Just frustrating.

I've seen 18-24 hour forced reboot issues when the sim was in the Mobley. Since moving it to the Unite Explore I've run continuously without any reboot issues, and with no slowdowns at all, other than apparent tower congestion. Plus I have access to additional bands of service.  

I would suggest that you put any device you have on a timer so that you eventually get a forced reboot from time-to-time. This works best on non-battery devices. On my battery devices I try to do manual reboots once in awhile. But on the Unite I have not done one for more than a month.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't know if it's just coincidence, and not that it might help in your situation, but on a previous cord with only the #4 and #16 pins wired we would see the reboot issue from time to time. Since I started jumpering the #4 and #5 pins it hasn't been an issue. Actually.. if I remember correctly... it was Pat & Pete that turned me on to that tidbit. I have 2 sons in two different states that use theirs for home internet. They run 24/7 without reboot.

I believe it's most definitely a mobley device vs. a service issue. Like Jack and others... I run my sim in a unite and have never looked back.

That being said... I'm strictly on battery power and only have mine on when in use. I agree with Pat and Jerry... "heat is the 'enemy' of electronics"... and it's a good practice to unplug daily. Sticking it on a timer sounds like a solid plan and the mechanical type can be had for what... $5 (?).

For connectivity issues.. I gotta say.. the Unite with even the $25 portable MIMO antenna is a "homerun" combo. 

I do have times where it slows considerably and then a reboot gets me back at higher speeds. I leave mine on all the time. Once in a while I also find it has shut off and then I press reset. Having said that, I am pretty darn happy as I also have grand fathered verizon unlimited and I almost always prefer the Mobley.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I've had a continuing "no Internet access" problem during extended Mobley sessions with my Windows 10 laptop, logging the PC off of the Mobley and then logging back on brings back Internet access.  My Android tablet works flawlessly with the Mobley in the same locations.

I keep the Mobley powered up for days at a time with no change in it's performance.

Since the Mobley works fine with the tablet, but not with the Windows PC, I'm thinking it's a Windows to Mobley handshake issue, not temperature or anything else related to the Mobley.

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I found it and it was user error.  I always use a WFRanger to attach to the Mobley, than use the router of the WFRanger with all our (many) devices.  My WFRanger was sent to Idaho a few weeks ago for repair and I now have too many devices trying to log in to the Mobley.  So now I started policing who and what attaches to the Mobley and all seems well.

I get my WFRanger back this week and I should be back to normal.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

10 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

I've had a continuing "no Internet access" problem during extended Mobley sessions with my Windows 10 laptop, logging the PC off of the Mobley and then logging back on brings back Internet access.  My Android tablet works flawlessly with the Mobley in the same locations.

I keep the Mobley powered up for days at a time with no change in it's performance.

Since the Mobley works fine with the tablet, but not with the Windows PC, I'm thinking it's a Windows to Mobley handshake issue, not temperature or anything else related to the Mobley.

Once in a great while , we'll have the same type situation . That happens usually when the Mobley is left on with no one using it for hours on end .

Goes around , comes around .

18 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Once in a great while , we'll have the same type situation . That happens usually when the Mobley is left on with no one using it for hours on end .

Yeah. It does have a "sleep" mode when there is no active connection. I wonder if what's causing the disconnect issues is a failed "wake-up" call(?). Takes all of what... 30 seconds to reconnect? Hardly a deal breaker, right. ;)

If I remember correctly.. at one time I was reading about a dns refresh timer issue between the mobley and the actual tower signal that was user adjustable. There was some discussion on it, but I don't recall the specifics, aren't using my mobley so can't go look... and if I also remember correctly... it was in the mobley thread that disappeared into a black hole several months back.

Maybe the mention of it might jar someone with a better memory than mine on the specifics.

56 minutes ago, ogaddcb said:

How do you determine the 5 device limit?

It's hardcoded into the mobley to only allow 5 IP assignments (devices).

27 minutes ago, Yarome said:

If I remember correctly.. at one time I was reading about a dns refresh timer issue between the mobley and the actual tower signal that was user adjustable. There was some discussion on it, but I don't recall the specifics, aren't using my mobley so can't go look... and if I also remember correctly... it was in the mobley thread that disappeared into a black hole several months back.

Maybe the mention of it might jar someone with a better memory than mine on the specifics.

You might be thinking of the DHCP lease time discussion about extending it as a possible fix for connection drop outs. As I recall, there were mixed results reported.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

You might be thinking of the DHCP lease time discussion about extending it as a possible fix for connection drop outs. As I recall, there were mixed results reported.

THAT's the one! Much easier searching for information when you actually know what you're searching for. :lol:

We are still depending upon our Mobley as our sole form of internet access while recovering from Harvey.  Mobley solely no router.  How do you determine the 5 device limit?

Go to the Mobley ZTE control Panel for all kinds of info and settings.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone bought a Mobley recently? I ordered one over the summer and then after a few delays was told the Mobley wasn't available any longer. About a month ago I saw where you can purchase a Mobley on line but you have to buy a normal data package at $90 a month. The rep told me after I got the device I could go into a store and get the car connect for $20 a month. It sounded fishy so I passed. Just wondering of any one had a similar experience?

event.png

Archived