FMCA votes to include towables

dirtyboots

10 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

It sounds like you may have been there about the same time as we were. The people were friendly enough but just not of our social group and we didn't fit in. As an owner of a gas rig, I think most folks we met found us to be strange because we had no "diesel envy" and no interest in "moving up." Only a few of them were rude about our choice of RV and most were very nice but we just didn't have common interests or lifestyles. Many of the people we met had spent more on their RV than we would spend for a house. Most of them were very good people but we lived in different social/economic worlds and had very little in common. 

I do remember sharing posts with you back then😉  Having a DP perhaps made our experience different from yours.  We found our DP just too expensive to maintain and operate on my retirement income.  We had a gasser more recently and loved it.  As another Beaver owner commented, if it moves we have either fixed or replaced it.  FMCA was very supportive to issues we had and the members very nice to us.  We did not rejoin with the gasser we had but are considering selling our 5th wheel and going with a downsized gasser.  I will rejoin at that time and if there are issues I can leave it.  I guess it would be sort of like comparing a Mustang to a Porsche, can be lots of ego and pride.

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

On 12/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, LindaH said:

Although we have a motorhome, we haven't joined FMCA.  I've thought about it when the time comes to buy new tires, but I wonder if the savings on tires is really better than what you can get at, say, Costco, especially considering the membership fee?

The FMCA tire discount webpage says to check around with other dealers besides the one in the Michelin advantage program, as other dealers may be cheaper. I just bought Sailun truck tires, they ride very smoothly and cost less than half the cost of Michelins, $1,980 for six 275/70R22.5, load range H, mounted, balanced,  installed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

The FMCA tire discount webpage says to check around with other dealers besides the one in the Michelin advantage program, as other dealers may be cheaper. I just bought Sailun truck tires, they ride very smoothly and cost less than half the cost of Michelins, $1,980 for six 275/70R22.5, load range H, mounted, balanced,  installed.

Can I ask what Saliun tires you went with for your RV? I've been running Sailun's on my 5th wheel and have been very happy with them. I think I'm going to run them on my HDT also.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

On 12/4/2017 at 11:10 PM, BlueLghtning said:

Can I ask what Saliun tires you went with for your RV? I've been running Sailun's on my 5th wheel and have been very happy with them. I think I'm going to run them on my HDT also.

Our MH uses 275/70R22.5, LR H.  A locally-owned tire shop undercut the price on this website: https://simpletire.com/sailun-275-70r22.5-8254392-tires

EDIT: Interestingly enough, that tire shop said they would sell me Firestone 651 load range L tires for the same price.

I too ran Sailun 16" S637 tires on our 5er, they ended my tire problems on the 5er.

If you use a different size, look for it on the sailun website.  I've been  noticing many HDT's while I'm at a truck stop for what brand tires they are running; Sailun's are increasing in numbers as the brand becomes known in the U.S.A. TBC corporation also has a very good tire warranty. "A tire with at least 50% tread and less than 6 yrs old will be replaced if due to a defect in material or workmanship; plus taxes, mounting, balancing. Less than 50% is pro-rated.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 12/2/2017 at 6:02 AM, Kirk Wood said:

We joined when we bought our motorhome and were members for 2 or 3 years. We only ever attended a couple of events, but with our rather humble gas powered motorhome we felt like second class citizens (not completely sure why) and so we dropped out. Over time we have dropped all memberships except those we participate in and feel we receive value from. 

Wonder if there was a post on a forum back when that read:

"FMCA Welcomes Gas Powered Motor Homes"?

Of course there wasn't a post  -  but any "Motor Home" with a hood (Class C) was not welcome.

When your gas MH had the stigma of being something less than a DP -"second class citizens"  - -  FOR SURE  - - trailers were *third class* (or less) and very UNwelcome!

"Trailer Trash" status won't soon be forgotten!

No matter what type of RV I ever own  -  or the club member discounts offered , FMCA can pound sand! (Sorry! - gotta tell it like it is!)

(And, yes - I have owned 'em all - from slide-in campers to TTs, MHs, -missed out on DPs- and 5ths since 1975. Tents and DIY camper vans before that).

BTW - I never felt it necessary to have  a 'smiley face' with halo on my RV  - in order to be a "Good Samaritan" along the road - or in a campground.

(Even to help out - -OMG!- -  DP folks)

Archived