Got mice?

Jeff & Suzanne

"Fawkes" is all set up for the Chicagoland winter; and during my weekly spot check, lo and behold. . .mouse droppings.  From the size it was a very small field mouse (as opposed to a larger gray house mouse).  Traps caught five after two weeks of setting them out.  The weather cleared temperature wise several days ago, and in order to find the way they were getting in we turned on all the lights in Fawkes and opened every cabinet, closet and other access areas.  I crawled under the PC and saw light bleed coming from the round opening where the fresh water tank drain goes through.  There was no coping or other attempt at covering, resulting in a 1/4" crescent shaped opening where the tube protruded.  I stuffed a bit of coarse steel wool into the opening and viola!  No more light bleed and after a week, no more mice in the traps.     Easy schmeezy except for returning this 74 year old back to the upright in the driveway.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

43 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I read about rid-a-rat.com, suppose to work on mice.

Thanks.  We've used a string of white LED rope lights under our Foretravel DP and also our Airstream TT and had good results in the "no mice" department.  Sounds similar.  Plugging the access holes solves the mouse problem until they figure out how to open the door.

Edited by Jeff & Suzanne

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

It is stunning the small openings they can get through. I volunteered at a SP once that had a major issue and folks used the light trick and it seemed effective. Some use rope lights and some used spotlights shining under the rig. That is what I used and it seems like it worked.  Didn't help with the ants though.

• 2 years later...

I have great success with TomCat mouse bait. The "secret" though is to eliminate all source of food and water inside the RV, when a mouse gets in and cannot find food or water it leaves for better digs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

38 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I have great success with TomCat mouse bait. The "secret" though is to eliminate all source of food and water inside the RV, when a mouse gets in and cannot find food or water it leaves for better digs.

Those sources might surprise you. We once had a carpet cleaner move our loveseat recliner and he called out, "Treats!" Yup, Cheetos snuck down there.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van