PA non-commercial Class A?

Lowmiler

Lost in the bureaucratic maze of the Pennsylvania DMV. No one I speak to there seems to know how to obtain a NON-commercial Class A. All they know is CDL. 

This is all I can find on their website:

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

Anyone here know the steps I need to take to get this license?

Todd

If the first words of the site are:

Classes of Driver's Licenses

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

I guess I would point the Pennsylvania DMV to their website.   To be fair, the definition of Exempt CDL (Non-commercial) is very narrow in PA and seldom does a DMV person has to answer to an exempt CDL license. 

The same is true with PA and EZ-Pass for a motorhome which is a special category in PA EZ-Pass and damn near impossible to find how to get one.  It is all about trucks.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2017 at 2:52 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

If the first words of the site are:

Classes of Driver's Licenses

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

I guess I would point the Pennsylvania DMV to their website.   To be fair, the definition of Exempt CDL (Non-commercial) is very narrow in PA and seldom does a DMV person has to answer to an exempt CDL license. 

The same is true with PA and EZ-Pass for a motorhome which is a special category in PA EZ-Pass and damn near impossible to find how to get one.  It is all about trucks.

sorry but its not about trucks,

it is about money.

lots more cash in trucking than rv's.

at my job we have the prepaid toll computer ( only 6 bridges we use) all in the sf bay area. and a pre pass for the scales. both cost big bucks.

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

sorry but its not about trucks,

it is about money.

lots more cash in trucking than rv's.

at my job we have the prepaid toll computer ( only 6 bridges we use) all in the sf bay area. and a pre pass for the scales. both cost big bucks.

You misread my "Its about trucks" statement.  I was referring to the text of the PA on EZ-Pass.  All the descriptive text is for trucks.  You are directed to that part of the website if you have a motorhome and then they do not talk about motorhomes.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

ok, i am a bit jaded as a class A driver. we are at times harassed. and tickets for me ( even on my motorbike) are far larger in fines, than any other class of driver.

here in ca it all about money.

even just crossing one of the bay bridges is something like $15. usd - $20.usd

and thats on top of all the other taxes. 

i just collect pay stubs, so only hear about it.

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

tickets for me ( even on my motorbike) are far larger in fines, than any other class of driver.

How many tickets have you been issued? Obviously enough to "compare" with every other class of driver. Hmm...

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have talked with PA DL examiners and they are aware of the testing  for a non commercial  class A License  

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

How many tickets have you been issued? Obviously enough to "compare" with every other class of driver. Hmm...

lucky me not many. but as it is at least here in ca commercial tickets are at min double a class C  fine.

a cell phone ticket starts at $2500.usd.

A CHP officer who saw Sundquist, 35, look at his phone pulled him over and gave him a $162 ticket for violating Section 23123 (a) of the California Vehicle Code, which prohibits using a cellphone while driving. Sundquist was confused. He thought he had read that it was OK to look at a GPS map while behind the wheel.

This came from the LA Times.  And from Nolo.com is.....

Fines and Points

The base fine for a first offense is $20. For second and subsequent offenses, the fine is $50. But remember—the actual amount you’ll pay once assessments are added will be significantly more than the base fine. The total for a first violation will likely exceed $150, and a second or subsequent offense can cost over $250.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 7 months later...

Archived