Interesting trip

Shallow Draft

Well we are back  in Maricopa for the winter season. The heat feels great.  Not the usual uneventful trip I like to have. I left home with a cold and took a cold remedy  [Cold FX] that did not agree with me and my blood pressure dropped to the point of passing out at the wheel. SO  My wife had to drive the first day. She had not driven the Volvo with 38 ft of horse trailer. She did fine but it shows the importance of having a co-driver. Next was Las Vegas. I missed Vegas Teachers exit and ended up in a bumper to bumper 5 mile parking lot until I could get to the 215 exit.

Now the fun part!!  At 5PM the inside dual is flat 30 miles SE of Boulder city. Minimal to no cell service. I could not contact Good Sam but got one call to Us Rider road side assistance. They were sending a tire truck ASAP but 3 hours later no show. I was able to Text  so I had a friend relay the location and clearly stated need of a tire service truck. They sent a massive tow truck that was not needed or of any use. The good part is the driver new who to call and his cell phone worked and a tire truck was on the way. He got here at 1:30 and I was good to go by 4:00 am. The valve extension I had on for my tire pressure monitor broke the tip off the vale stem. After a fight with US Rider on what they would cover I paid the $520.79. I am trying to get some of that back now.

Lessons Learned on this trip:   1. Make sure your co-driver can take over.

2. Be prepared for traffic challenges.

3. Have a cheater wrench to get the lug nuts off

4. Do not have valves stem extensions on the inside dual wheel.

Other than the above the trip was great. The Volvo purred the whole way and had no other issues. 

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Valve extensions are fine as long as they are minimum length required and solid steel - not flex line. At least that is my opinion. I happen to like Crossfire on the rears, but others don't find that necessary.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

•  
  • NeverEasy
  • Validated Members
  •  
  • 196 posts
  • {key}life.gif

Cheater wrench, 1:65 ratio.  Takes truck lug nuts off with ease.  Funny looking extension in the lid is so once you break the nuts loose you connect this direct drive to the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Multiplier-Lug-Nut-Wrench/dp/B00FPS5SQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509660911&sr=8-3&keywords=lug+wrench+torque+multiplier&dpID=51CcAHde4pL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

21 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:
  •  
  • NeverEasy
  • Validated Members
  •  
  • 196 posts
  • {key}life.gif

Cheater wrench, 1:65 ratio.  Takes truck lug nuts off with ease.  Funny looking extension in the lid is so once you break the nuts loose you connect this direct drive to the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Multiplier-Lug-Nut-Wrench/dp/B00FPS5SQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509660911&sr=8-3&keywords=lug+wrench+torque+multiplier&dpID=51CcAHde4pL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Chet,

These work but take a lot of turns to get nut off, so be prepared to give your arms a workout.😀

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, That is why I carry one of these with a 1/2" to 1" adapter.  I used to carry a air impact but this does the job.  Just a couple of turns with the torque-multiplier and an impact will do the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2764-22/dp/B00GFTS19C/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1509662712&sr=8-15&keywords=milwaukee+m12+impact+wrench

Added together, the wrenches are a bit pricey but waiting 8 hours for service and a $500 bill makes the price reasonable.  Could have easily run in on one tire of the duals. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

13 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Valve extensions are fine as long as they are minimum length required and solid steel - not flex line. At least that is my opinion. I happen to like Crossfire on the rears, but others don't find that necessary.

Jack     

I had the other side fail the same way last year, it only created a slow leak and I was able to fix it on my own time for $30.00.  After the second one failed at the same point but with out the benefit of a slow leak I am a little more concerned. Maybe it was just bad luck.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

3 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

Jack     

I had the other side fail the same way last year, it only created a slow leak and I was able to fix it on my own time for $30.00.  After the second one failed at the same point but with out the benefit of a slow leak I am a little more concerned. Maybe it was just bad luck.

That is a bummer. I've had the flex lines fail if not supported. But I've never had a long valve line that was solid fail. I've had the rubber seal leak if the nut was not tight, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived