Compressed Air

SuiteSuccess

I have my trailer air (red dash button) plumbed to a retractable air hose in my drom box.  It’s a handy source of air that I can charge the system with the red dash button.  It has a downfall that I thought someone may be able to help solve.  I run my trailer tires at 110psi based on weight.  Now if I’m airing up one tire that is slightly low, no problem, as my tank (i.e.truck compressor) will have charged the tank to 130psi.  However, if I use a lot of air or am airing multiple tires the tank pressure will need to decrease to 100psi before the compressor kicks in and recharges the tank.  Therefore no air moving into tire from pressures at or below 110psi.  I’ve been going up to the cab and pumping the brakes to get to 100 psi and starting the recharge.  Any solutions to maintaining a volume of air in the tank that will stay 110psi or higher?  Now before anyone suggests,  I’m not really interested in buying a $500 Power Tank for occasional use.  For full disclosure I raised this question couple of years ago but can’t find that thread or can’t recall any solutions.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I use one of these between my trucks air supply and the tire(s). Also comes in handy for other things. (I prefer the 11 gallon version).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007KHBM8U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509415166&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=portable+air+tank+5+gallon&dpPl=1&dpID=41Oa66yUyIL&ref=plSrch

I believe RandyA has a repurposed tank that he stores air in for this type of use.

Just add a T somewhere near the business end. Install a 1/4 turn valve on the T. You can then easily open the valve to dump enough air to cause the compressor to come on and quickly get back to 130psi. The RVGeeks have a video on this.

http://www.thervgeeks.com/product-recommendations/special-alert-absurd-sale-on-our-favorite-air-compressor/

Thanks folks.  Mr. Seas, I am aware of RandyAs tanks.  I actually had some old aluminum scuba tanks I was thinking of repurposing at one time, but felt I would run into the same issue of no air movement after the pressure got below inflation pressures (in my case 110psi).  I have a tank like you describe that I could use as a trial.  It would definitely add more volume of air, but would it maintain pressure for longer?  BTW using my air supply on the truck tires is no issue since they are all at or below 100psi so there is constant filling.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Yes, due to the extra volume it would take longer for the pressure to drop. However, it would also take longer for the compressor to pump up.

Thanks Tom.  That’s what I thought but just wanted to confirm.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

Just add a T somewhere near the business end. Install a 1/4 turn valve on the T. You can then easily open the valve to dump enough air to cause the compressor to come on and quickly get back to 130psi. The RVGeeks have a video on this.

http://www.thervgeeks.com/product-recommendations/special-alert-absurd-sale-on-our-favorite-air-compressor/

Carl, I think this is the easiest and quickest way to do what you want done.  And cheapest!  Boost your cruise (PTO) up so your trucks tanks fill quicker and when you can't hear the air going into your trailer tires, just stop pushing air to tire and open the valve right next to your hand to bleed the system down enough.  Use a pretty assistant in the truck to tell you when your gauge drops to compressor level and then you will get a sense of timing.  Then just wait until the truck "spits" and there you go!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived