Replace Propane Alarm

The propane detector in our 2004 motorhome recently started giving false alarms, so we decided to replace it. The original unit is a CCI Controls Pre Tell 26, Model No. 7773.0. I bought a Safe T Alert 30 series "Classic Propane Alarm" on Amazon that says it replaces most CCI Controls flush mount propane Alarms without modifications. But...

The CCI alarm has three wires (two red and one black), going into a three-prong connector. This plugs into another 3-prong connector in the RV, which also has two red and one black wires. The replacement has one read wire and one black wire, with no connector. So, 

1) Are these compatible or do I need to return the new unit?

2) If they are compatible, how do I wire it? Do I connect all 3 reds together with a wire nut, and the two blacks with another?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

1 hour ago, Just Don said:

I did a LP gas and a carbon monoxide combo unit

I will likely go with a new replacement LP Gas  ONLY detector in place of the one I already have. I prefer my Carbon Monoxide Detectors up closer to ceiling height and my LP Gas down on floor level. Actually, I'm going to use TWO Carbon Monoxide Detectors (front and rear) since I sometimes in daylight ONLY hours use an LP Gas Big Buddy Mr Heater which has a low oxygen sensor plus I keep a window near it cracked, saves gas versus my forced air furnace.

John T

As noted above, your old one had a propane shut off feature.  See https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/data/manuals/7773.pdf for the wiring diagram for the old one.  

If it were me, I would replace with a similar unit.  Shutting off the flow of propane in the event of a leak is a good thing!

Edit:  Additional studying of the above link shows the third wire IS NOT a solenoid control lead.  One red lead is for connection to the battery positive and the other goes to the convertor positive lead.  Therefore, you can tie both red leads to the battery positive if you want but I suspect only one needs to be connected.

The one you bought should work fine - just connect the new unit positive lead to the wire coming from the battery.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived