Mounting radio in '16 F-350

Chalkie

I am looking for a place to mount my Yaesu FT-8800 in my '16 F-350. In my previous truck ('08 F-250) an after market radio had been added so there was a pocket/opening below the single DIN radio where I was able to mount the detachable control head. This truck has the factory nav unit, upfitter switches, etc. and there simply in no room in the center area. About the only other place I have potentially come up with is where the overhead glasses storage is. I have no sun roof on this truck so there are 2 glasses trays, one of which could be removed to make room for the control head.

While that is doable it is still not what I am hoping for so I am sure open for other suggestions. Thanks!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Are you familiar with RAM mounting products? I've used these to mount ham radio detachable heads in cars before including my FT-8800. Even a windshield mount is possible, but then you may end up taking it down all the time. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

There isn't much room for anything.  We have the center console on our F350.  When I was looking at installing radios I wanted it to be quick disconnect  to prevent theft but I didn't go any further once we started looking a bigger trucks.

I had these pages bookmarked

http://www.havis.com/products/BASE_VMT_HDM_F250_2017_F150_15_17-123765-84.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/224953-ford-f350-super-duty-install.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-powerstroke-interior-discussion-2011-2016/261885-cb-radio-location-2.html

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Thanks for the replies. 

The Ram mounts are a possibility but the DW complained in the last truck how many "gadgets" were taking up space.

The powerstroke.org link is a good idea. I had looked at the location but thought that reading the face seemed awkward. I will to experiment a bit and rethink on that. 

The 6.7l Ford has a lot of injector noise.  Ford is zero help and I have bonded everything to everything.  With about $120 of ferrite chokes on the wiring harnesses, I got the noise down to an acceptable level on my Yaesu FT 857D.  The radio and Turbo Tuner are mounted under the passenger seat and the control head is on the center console.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

The 6.7l Ford has a lot of injector noise.  Ford is zero help and I have bonded everything to everything.  With about $120 of ferrite chokes on the wiring harnesses, I got the noise down to an acceptable level on my Yaesu FT 857D.  The radio and Turbo Tuner are mounted under the passenger seat and the control head is on the center console.

Ken

Thank you TX appreciate the input......$120 that's allot of ferrite. What type and locations have you installed the ferrite?

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I will have to dig for the information.  I found an article on line that was the basis of the ferrite chokes.  There were some big chokes on the main harness on the passenger side by the valve covers and a couple of branches.

It dropped the noise from an S8 down to an S, but you still hear the popping in the background.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 10/17/2017 at 7:45 PM, TXiceman said:

The radio and Turbo Tuner are mounted under the passenger seat and the control head is on the center console.

I would love a picture of that. The front seats in our truck are the full power one and there is very little room under there. 

Well, I continue to study this issue. 

I think at this point I am leaning towards mounting the main radio behind the back seats (which is where it was in the old truck) and then placing the remote head in the console with the mic coming out under the steering wheel and a remote speaker next to the steering wheel. 

I am not fully satisfied with this solution, but it is better than other ideas I have had and I do not really change frequencies much while driving.

Thanks for the ideas offered. 

Edited by Chalkie

Just another point, for some reason, the drivers side battery has less noise than the passenger side.  Also, the injector noise is not a problem on the VHF/UHF bands,

Ken

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well to revive this old thread, I finally got my Yaesu FT-8800R mounted in the truck. I had long eyeballed the overhead glasses holders but was unwilling to start dismantling all that to see if I could make it work. I finally bit the bullet and gave it a go and it all worked out. 

Since I was only mounting the control head I dry fitted it before doing some surgery on one of the holders. Since it looked like it was going to work I took the overhead console out and then went to work with a Dremel tool and a cutting wheel. The only thing I needed was an extension cord for the mic which I got off Ebay for $5. The end result even surprised me.

Closed:

i-53TJLFm-M.jpg

Open:

i-8G6z4X7-M.jpg