Suggestions 4 New FW Toy hauler min.13'Gar,1.5Bath, w side deck? Brands n models for 46'? Cable Slide outs vs Hydraulic? for off grid camping w 2 ATVs.

I have been researching buying a new fifth wheel 46' with a min. size Garage of 13' to fit two 50" Wide ATVs for recreational adventures.  I need Master bath and 1/2 bath by garage. I have been waiting for few new models released for the dealer show end of Sept few weeks back. Dealers want to sell what they have on their lots so they not motivated to get me new info to order one and wait for it. My challenge is now see two brands that have side patio deck I now think would be nice to have.  My primary priorities in my choice will be floor plan layout for a family to go camping but also haul 2 ATVs.  I also have been trying to compare the Cable Slide outs vs. Hydraulic Slide. I do understand what a Schwin Tech (spell wrong) type is for the smaller slides. I like the Sofa incliner slide but do not need dinner table in kitchen. Shoot, I like the two brands that I have seen so far have a touch panel for controls via cell phone. I really like that feature if possible to get with floorpan I like.  All I know is I'm glad at least I have limited choices since I only need FW toy hauler vs. all the other FW choices in the world. I sure wish there was a website with Engine to punch in your feature choices on a camper and then it would give suggested models.  (Lowest priority items: Washer/Dryer convenience, Big Screen TVs, Dining room table not wanted, Overpriced kitchens, 3 AC units not needed) 

Winter and summer camping , Remote Outdoors and recreation use , not for full time living or long periods of time. Like to order one in next week or two to be built.  If I was to go custom manf. would the six each independent axles be a much better ride for dirt roads in national forest , or just overkill?  If you have too much time on your hands I would love to hear any suggestions of where to continue my research. I am out west but willing to travel to research best new solution or factory even. This is first time I found this great resource of a website today and read lots of nice people giving advice on learn from their mistakes.  I will be towing with my new Dodge 3500 Megacab Short bed DRW (not RAMBOX)  also. One Example of FW I found similar so far is the 2018 Keystone Fusion 417 but no side patio deck on that one  Thanks :) 

I would buy one that is a couple of years old that all the bugs worked out. My new hauler had many things wrong with it when I purchased. I had it in the shop about 8 months to fix every thing. It is back in shop again. Make sure you get a gas/electric refrigerator if you plan on dry camping a often.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 2:20 AM, What's over the NEXT HILL said:

I have been researching buying a new fifth wheel 46' with a min. size Garage of 13' to fit two 50" Wide ATVs for recreational adventures.  I need Master bath and 1/2 bath by garage. I have been waiting for few new models released for the dealer show end of Sept few weeks back. Dealers want to sell what they have on their lots so they not motivated to get me new info to order one and wait for it. My challenge is now see two brands that have side patio deck I now think would be nice to have.  My primary priorities in my choice will be floor plan layout for a family to go camping but also haul 2 ATVs.  I also have been trying to compare the Cable Slide outs vs. Hydraulic Slide. I do understand what a Schwin Tech (spell wrong) type is for the smaller slides. I like the Sofa incliner slide but do not need dinner table in kitchen. Shoot, I like the two brands that I have seen so far have a touch panel for controls via cell phone. I really like that feature if possible to get with floorpan I like.  All I know is I'm glad at least I have limited choices since I only need FW toy hauler vs. all the other FW choices in the world. I sure wish there was a website with Engine to punch in your feature choices on a camper and then it would give suggested models.  (Lowest priority items: Washer/Dryer convenience, Big Screen TVs, Dining room table not wanted, Overpriced kitchens, 3 AC units not needed) 

Winter and summer camping , Remote Outdoors and recreation use , not for full time living or long periods of time. Like to order one in next week or two to be built.  If I was to go custom manf. would the six each independent axles be a much better ride for dirt roads in national forest , or just overkill?  If you have too much time on your hands I would love to hear any suggestions of where to continue my research. I am out west but willing to travel to research best new solution or factory even. This is first time I found this great resource of a website today and read lots of nice people giving advice on learn from their mistakes.  I will be towing with my new Dodge 3500 Megacab Short bed DRW (not RAMBOX)  also. One Example of FW I found similar so far is the 2018 Keystone Fusion 417 but no side patio deck on that one  Thanks :) 

Several years ago I looked at almost all the toyhaulers made. One of them I looked at was purchased by my younger brother and he kindly allowed me to take it to Florida for a winter. I found out quickly that while it looked nice and was quite comfortable for the 4 months I lived in it, there were also a lot of things that would not stand the test of time if I were to live in it full time. 

I continued to look and look. I also started looking for a new tow vehicle too. The 1999 F350 left me stranded in the middle of a very busy multi lane road in South Florida about 1/2 mile from my destination. It was not a fun adventure. 

I had the transmission rebuilt in the Ford the year before (the cause of the stranding), purchased a trailer in Utah and had to stop on the interstate about half way up the climb out of Salt Lake City. EGT and Transmission temperatures getting way too high. I did make it to the top and had no major difficulties for the remainder of the trip, but knew the One Ton truck I thought would pull anything, really wasn't up to the task. I found this Escapees site and the HDT forum and attended the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS on a motorcycle with a tent. Only stayed for two nights the first year but knew I needed to pursue the purchase of an HDT. 

Fast forward a couple years, found the truck and purchased it, did some modifications to the truck to haul a car (Mini Cooper at first) and thought life was good, then the trailer I thought would provide me with at least 10  years of travel didn't look like it would make it another year (for me). I went to Marsha at Spacecraft with a budget and asked if she could build sturdy no frills trailer within my budget and she thankfully said yes and followed up with her promise. There were some "compromises" but I have a very solid toy hauler with a 14 1/2 foot garage and plenty of living space for me. I have no doubt the trailer will outlive me. 

Can I take the trailer off road, no. That's not what I needed. Can you order one today and have it ready by next Spring, probably not. I am not sure of the exact time frame for builds but I believe they are at least 12 if not 18 month fully scheduled for their builds currently. 

You can get all the fancy electronics and make up the floor plan you like. You can put it on  traditional axles, air ride single or dual wheel axles and most likely the "Moreryde" style independent suspensions too. 

Just west of the Spacecraft factory is the New Horizons factory where there is talk of them doing a different "Toyhauler" in the near future. You can customize some things at New Horizons, but they do have more restrictions (I hear). 

Good luck with your search. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 2:01 PM, bja1234 said:

That's a sweet package.

This month's Trailer Life has a full spread on THs.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Archived