How To Draw A Radius Around A Google Maps Location

Hobo John

I’ve been studying how fulltimers travel to see of i can get a feel for how i might pace myself when i hit the road. 200 miles or less seems comfortable for me personally. I was thinking about this and wondered if i could draw a circle with a particular radius around a given point on google maps to figure out - more or less since the distance would be in a straight line - what lied within that particular circle.

It appears that this is not a capability on google maps except by using additional software or going to a website that incorporates that software on a web page. Here’s an article on the subject...

https://diaryofdennis.com/2016/10/17/how-to-show-a-radius-around-a-google-maps-location/

SKP# 136386

Seems simple enough.  Why not use his rendition/link to Google Maps with the radius function? If it does what you want  on the same Google Map app you have, what's the concern?

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

I agree, but..... the map can be dragged to your desired location and zoomed in and out.  How close do you need to be with a 200mile radius?

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

6 hours ago, Matilda's mate said:

I’ve been studying how fulltimers travel to see of i can get a feel for how i might pace myself when i hit the road. 200 miles or less seems comfortable for me personally. I was thinking about this and wondered if i could draw a circle with a particular radius around a given point on google maps to figure out - more or less since the distance would be in a straight line - what lied within that particular circle.

It appears that this is not a capability on google maps except by using additional software or going to a website that incorporates that software on a web page. Here’s an article on the subject...

https://diaryofdennis.com/2016/10/17/how-to-show-a-radius-around-a-google-maps-location/

What ??? you think you'll be wandering willy nilly within that 200 mile circle ? That might have you going in circles . 

I'm sure you'll have a general direction in mind every day . No circles required . 

We've been full time for close to 8 years and the only circles we've used are those formed around the camp fire by good friends . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

54 minutes ago, Sehc said:

I can see the value in easily finding a distance from my present location using google maps. With a paper map I can use a ruler.

A  what kinda map? :o

Use a what?  :blink:

oh, sorry online supposed to go ??!?! instead of just ?

:)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We always have a Rand McNally Road Atlas handy (So the DW can argue with the GPS along the way). We tend to pull that out, look for interesting looking roads/places along our "Kinda/Sorta" route then use our thumbs (Which we estimate to be 1" to the first knuckle) and the scale at the bottom of the map to see if it's in our comfort zone. Google maps or the GPS will then tell us how far and how long to get to the chosen spot.

As you can tell this micrometer like accuracy has us doing exactly 200 miles, no more and no less every day of our lives without fail!

The journey isn't the destination, it's the stops along the way. Once you get on the road you'll discover that getting to a place isn't important anymore just enjoying this wonderful country and the great people you meet along the way.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

On Google maps you can create a route using the Directions Tools. Then once mapped you can grab the endpoint (white dot or marker on the map) with your cursor and then drag it around. The route will snap to roads and there will be a pop-up box that has distance and estimated time to the new endpoint. You can also add points in between the stopping and starting points to force a certain route, if desired.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Archived