Bed rail clearance/Lower pin box

rschlieper

I personally don't think I would want less than 5" of clearance. That amount at least makes it less likely that you will have contact when making a turn and changing grades at the same time. 

The washers on there are by design. I do not think you should accept any answer you get here on leaving them off. Instead put a call or email in to Reese and get their answer. That way you have your answer from the ones that can give accurate info AND can refuse to honor whatever warranty there is if leaving off makes a difference. 

1 minute ago, rschlieper said:

I would like to lower the pin box to achieve more clearance between underbelly and bed rail. 

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you want less clearance. However, another consideration is the attitude of the trailer itself. You want to make sure it is as level as possible when towing. 

Yes the fifth wheel is riding a little low in the front so by lowering the pin box I would in essence raise the front end gain more clearance it would be a win win adjustment. I just spoke with Reese and they said that I could trim the washer and that would not cause any problems or void the warranty. Thanks for the sounding board Chalkie! 

On 10/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Bed rail clearance is totally secondary.  The reason to adjust the pin box is to get the trailer to ride level.  If the trailer isn't level, undue wear will be forced on the leading or trailing axle depending if the front in low or high.

Exactly! Then if bed-rail clearance is insufficient, raise the trailer on the axles. I had my 5er raised 2" on the axles to obtain level; after I had lowered my bed-rail clearance to the Reese recommended 6" minimum.