Bed rail clearance/Lower pin box

rschlieper

I personally don't think I would want less than 5" of clearance. That amount at least makes it less likely that you will have contact when making a turn and changing grades at the same time. 

The washers on there are by design. I do not think you should accept any answer you get here on leaving them off. Instead put a call or email in to Reese and get their answer. That way you have your answer from the ones that can give accurate info AND can refuse to honor whatever warranty there is if leaving off makes a difference. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 minute ago, rschlieper said:

I would like to lower the pin box to achieve more clearance between underbelly and bed rail. 

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you want less clearance. However, another consideration is the attitude of the trailer itself. You want to make sure it is as level as possible when towing. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Yes the fifth wheel is riding a little low in the front so by lowering the pin box I would in essence raise the front end gain more clearance it would be a win win adjustment. I just spoke with Reese and they said that I could trim the washer and that would not cause any problems or void the warranty. Thanks for the sounding board Chalkie! 

You may find structural washers with a smaller OD and save the trimming.

If the nuts are on the outside it makes things easier to torque and keep an eye on. 

Filling the space at the front and back will keep the creatures out.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Bed rail clearance is totally secondary.  The reason to adjust the pin box is to get the trailer to ride level.  If the trailer isn't level, undue wear will be forced on the leading or trailing axle depending if the front in low or high.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

On 10/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Bed rail clearance is totally secondary.  The reason to adjust the pin box is to get the trailer to ride level.  If the trailer isn't level, undue wear will be forced on the leading or trailing axle depending if the front in low or high.

Exactly! Then if bed-rail clearance is insufficient, raise the trailer on the axles. I had my 5er raised 2" on the axles to obtain level; after I had lowered my bed-rail clearance to the Reese recommended 6" minimum.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived