Windshield Replacement

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

1998 VNL610 - What's the cost?  Has anyone had one replaced lately?  Chances are this will be done at Volvo in Bismarck.  

Does the gasket need to be replaced?  I figure at 19 years old it might be worthwhile.  Thoughts?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It will feel like a new truck. You won't believe the difference.  Well worth the $200.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Glass runs about $200 and the gasket will be somewhere north of $100. Volvo dealers usually have pretty competitive prices on the glass.  I was only able to source the gasket at the Volvo dealer in my local area.  I changed the gasket for my well being  and I probably had some more life left in the old one.  Cali sun loves to eat up rubber pieces! 

The gasket is a Volvo only item.  They will set the price for it. 

$200-250 installed is a reasonable range to install a new windshield in your truck.  Installing a new gasket in a Volvo is no more labor than reusin the original gasket. 

In in most places the dealer does not install glass.  They contract with a local glass shop to do this specialized labor.  Going direct to the glass shop will save you some money.  Buying glass from the dealer versus the same glass from an independent shop is throwing away your money. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

1998 VNL610 - What's the cost?  Has anyone had one replaced lately?  Chances are this will be done at Volvo in Bismarck.  

Does the gasket need to be replaced?  I figure at 19 years old it might be worthwhile.  Thoughts?

Hi Jim,

On my first truck (Gen 1) I had the windshield replaced and also the windshield gasket replaced with a Gen 2 gasket. I don't remember the cost. The glass shop had to get the gasket from the dealer. The glass shop that I went to also does the work at the local Volvo dealer in my area. The reason for going with a Gen 2 gasket over the Gen 1 was to get away from the extra plastic pieces that go on the sides of the windshield. Hopefully the glass shop will clean-up all of the old gasket. It would be nice to see painted steel where the gasket goes to make the best seal as possible.

Good luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 8 months later...

$147.50 at Binswanger Glass in Norfolk, VA.  Used the old gasket.  40 minutes.  What a difference.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Hey Chet.... Funny you resurrected this thread.  Having another windshield put in Monday..... Hailstorm cracked the old (New) one.

3 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

$147.50 at Binswanger Glass in Norfolk, VA.  Used the old gasket.  40 minutes.  What a difference.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I guess there was a lot of hail in the mid-west about the time we were returning from the WCR.  We were lucky to have missed it.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

According to the shop that's doing mine again, If the gasket is torn, cracked, or dry rotted they replace it.  If you have any leaks with it installed before the glass replacement, they change it.  Otherwise, they reuse it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Well I hope you guys are happy, you cost me $185 dollars today! And what do I have to show for it? No chips, scratches, or any other blemishes. I was going to have four chips repaired this week then I read this post. They weren't here 45 minutes and I called them yesterday to get the cost. Thank you 

1 minute ago, Lance A Lott said:

Well I hope you guys are happy, you cost me $185 dollars today! And what do I have to show for it? No chips, scratches, or any other blemishes. I was going to have four chips repaired this week then I read this post. They weren't here 45 minutes and I called them yesterday to get the cost. Thank you 

It took Jakes Auto Glass about that long.  They just push it out, clean the seal, wrap the rope around it and push it in..... 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Replacement is about as cheap as chip repair.  Safelite charged me $120 to get 3 chips repaired.  Never again.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Archived