RV Dog Parks

Onthego

Do you let your dog play with other dogs at the rv dog parks? I can't believe how many times I've had people not want their dog(s) play with my 30 lb. dog. I'm not talking about people with smaller dogs but bigger dogs too. My dog is looking for a playmate and if I'm willing to let my dog play with theirs then why not.  If you travel with a vicious dog that's a problem or maybe they need more socializing. 

Just now I was going to take my dog to the rv dog park and a couple had 3 dogs over 80 lbs. and they didn't want us to come in. They wanted to get out first. We've had this happen with all sizes of dogs.

Jeff  :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

We have experienced a mixed bag. We have two medium size dogs a 13 year old English Setter (55#) and a 3 year old small Munsterlander(60#). The old dog was attacked a few years ago and does not react well to most other dogs so I take him out of the dog park so others can use it. The younger dog wants to meet and play with everyone although he can intimidate small dogs that are not use to larger very active dogs. If another owner expresses a disinterest or reservations about letting the dogs play, I trust that they know their dog and I don't want my dog or theirs injured.

In my experience, introducing a dog to a pack of dogs that live together is not a good idea and I avoid that situation.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I do not take my dog to dog parks anymore. There was an incident maybe 12 years ago with the previous dog where some idiot was gleefully encouraging his Akita to attack other dogs, and the dog DID in fact attack one. I confronted him and he became extremely aggressive with me, to the point where he took it to a physical altercation level, and that didn't end well for him. (I broke his jaw.) It really didn't end well for me either in the long run, but thanks to several witnesses who testified the assault charge was dropped. I was still liable for his $500 emergency room deductible, but those witnesses spread the word at the dog park and people donated to defray that cost. Much more, in fact, and the excess went to a local shelter. On the upside, he was banned from the city dog parks (We have 3.),  as was I. I was also fortunate to be assigned to a judge who was an animal lover and she contacted the neighboring suburbs with his photo and he was banned from every dog park in the cities that touch our city. His dog was taken into a 14 day quarantine while he was tested for rabies, and from what I found out in follow up, he never claimed it. He was truly a punk and deserved what happened to him. I also need to add that the behavior that day was NOT typical for me. Had he just left when I told him to none of that would have happened.

So, since that time, I do not go to dog parks. Though that was many years ago, as an experienced dog person (this is dog #8) I know that nobody can ever know what will evoke an angry reaction from an animal. And though people think THEIR pet is a little person in a dog suit, they are indeed animals. My 11 year old blind dog will not be injured. Ever. I will defend her to the death. And because of her being blind it is now best to avoid any possibility of a confrontation. We walk every day in one of the dozens of parks in the area. Next year when I hit the road forever, none of that will change. We will find a park every day and she'll get her fun walking time, with brand new scents for her to discover!

There is quite a difference between a happy, friendly family pet who is trained to be happy and friendly, and guys like that jerk who taught his dog to attack, apparently since it was a puppy. I don't really expect to see much of that in the RV community. You all seem like good people who understand right from wrong.

It's a mixed bag. We have a 14# dog so I do not let her go in when there are big dogs because they scare the heck out of her, even if they are not aggressive. But if the park has a small dog area or there are no big dogs in the park, I take her in and she loves it. She often finds one dog and just stays with him/her. But I do find that more and more others will remove their dogs when they see us coming. I would assume they have had too many unpleasant experiences.

I have had so many unpleasant experiences just walking our dog that I seldom even let her meet a new dog on a walk unless I'm sure it will be positive. I usually just take a detour rather than chance another dog scaring our dog.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I love dogs.  I've had dogs in the past.  I don't have a dog now.  I've been full time rv'ing for a decade, mostly in rv parks where 60% to 70% of the residents own dogs.  It's been my observation that many, many of these dog owners don't have a clue about the natural behaviors of their pet.

I can't remember how many times I've been told that little Phideaux is harmless, wouldn't hurt a flea.  This is the same dog I've seen exhibit aggressive and intimidating behavior toward other pets and people.  Dogs are animals.  They have natural territorial instincts and go through animal rituals when confronting other pets and humans. 

I've had large dogs rush me, only stopped by reaching the end of their tether.  The owner then says something like "he's so social, he just wants to play with everyone".  Yeah, right.  Aggressive behavior is natural to animals.  It's not their fault.  It's their way of establishing their presence.  They can be trained to behave, but their natural tendencies still exist.

To be fair, I believe most dog owners are responsible and most dogs I've encountered are friendly and well behaved.  The problem is, I have no way of determining which ones are and which aren't.  I surely can't take the owners word for it, for many don't have a clue.  So, I assume that all dogs are prone to hurt me if I let them and avoid close encounters when possible.  JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We have stopped going to Dog Parks.  Too many irresponsible owners out there that do not watch their dogs.  I also worry that they do not keep the dogs properly vaccinated.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Wouldn't let my two run with unknown dogs.  Too many things that could go wrong and ruin our travels.  We know that what owners SHOULD do and how they SHOULD handle and train their animals is not always the way reality turns out.  And we know how all animals owners can end up either unwelcome or paying extra at some places then because they have animals due to the bad experiences with some owners.  Would rather keep mine safe and let them just run with each other.  

I have raised and trained livestock herding dogs for 30 years, I did it for a living and field trialled nationally for 10.  My dog does not need to meet/greet/play with your dog he/she has me. Dogs of different breeds react differently to each other. I KNOW what my dog will do in pretty much any situation, I don't know how your dog will behave in ANY situation. One of my main duties as a dog owner is to protect them from harm, again I don't know your dog. I'm not unfriendly, nor for the most part is my dog, it just isn't necessary.  If you meet me on the street and your dog is pulling on it's leash I will probably cross the street or go the other way. again, my dog does not need that. Besides, if there is livestock present, my won't even look at you or your dog.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

Do I know that your dog has all required vaccinations?  No, I do not.  Do you know if my dogs have all required vaccinations?  No, you do not.  Do I know that your dog is properly socialized?  No, I do not.  Do you know that my dogs are properly socialized?  No, you do not.  Allowing my dogs to interact with an unknown dog is plain stupid.  Unless, of course, you are willing to foot the bill for a potential vet visit, which I bet you would not.

With that said, if I observe your dog over a few days and it appears calm, and if you and I speak about our dogs, their health, and their compatibility, then the dogs might get friendly and play together.

My dog has met pit bulls, american bulldogs, and 3 weeks ago a HUGE English Mastiff. We have 2 next door. IN no case do those meetings happen without STRONG leash control by both of us, while I observe the tail position as the initial sniffing happens. When they are straight up high and wagging, it's batter than parallel to the ground, but by no means the only indicator of personality. I rarely let the interaction go beyond that controlled meeting. After a few seconds I'd say have a nice day and keep a walking.  The mastiff was perfectly behaved, and in fact my dog git him to go into a submissive bow position. The pit bull was a puppy and they played nicely. The American Bulldog is a neighbor up the street and they have known each other since they were puppies, and they get along fine. But on topic, those dogs are not strangers.

I like to say that my dog is a huge loner, like I am.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived