Roof material

GlennWest

Ok, our Teton came with a TPO roof according to my owners book. Original owner snagged a barn roof and installed new roof with insurance. Quoted me 11k. Think someone made a lot of money. Lol. Anyway I don't know what I have. It caulks terribly like epdm but is hard texture like tpo. Like there is a small section not glued down but presents no problem. It pops down and returns when stepped on but no wrinkle, rigid like. I have some damage from a cracked skylight. Wasn't cracked when I washed it some months ago. I sealed it for now but a section of luan is gone where it rounds to edge. It has a curved edge. Can't look at it and tell it due to the rigid roof material. Holds it shape. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our Cameo came with TPO roof material which is a rough texture and when peeled off looked like it had a fabric backing to it. One of our slides developed a leak, so this summer I replaced only the slide roof with rubber roofing, EDPM that the local RV supplier had on hand. The rubber is a very smooth texture and did require a seam which I used Eternabond to cover, (used on TPO and rubber) and it is holding up very well so far. I ended up replacing the slide out plywood roof with 11/32 vs the 1/8 and used 2" foam board between the rafters.  If you have a non glued roof section, you could cut the roofing to use spray glue underneath and patch with Eternabond.

My point is I would not be afraid to mix roofing materials to make a repair as long as it seals well. After all, it's on the roof and not many people will see it. My 3X8 slide roof repair as a DIY cost about $100 for all materials.

Greg

The unglued section is a non issue. Just trying to explain what it nature is. I was considering cutting and pulling back section to repair and roll back and patch it. Eterbond is great stuff. But it won't roll back. Too rigid. My slideouts are orginally. No caulking and soft, pliable. Believe that tpo. I have been considering FlexArmor but cost is steep for good roof. But now that looks more attractive. Really hate I let this happen. Working the hours I do, off time is precious. Been on this job 13 months. Mostly 6 days a week. Ends this week so got time for such. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I got to spend $5K repairing a truck camper roof that had the furry backed membrane on it.  One screw was leaking and the furry backing saw to it the moisture was able to travel 8 feet ...

Same here, the slide roof was leaking along the gutter that wasn't caulked underneath like the main roof gutter is. This allowed the wind driven rain to soak the TPO edge which then wicked itself across the slide roof and rotted the roof plywood. I like the EDPM material much better and I also used the Eternabond tape along the roofing edge to glue the EDPM to the side walls under the gutter so the wicking won't happen again. I need to go back and caulk under the gutters on the other 2 slides.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 12:44 AM, gjhunter01 said:

Same here, the slide roof was leaking along the gutter that wasn't caulked underneath like the main roof gutter is. This allowed the wind driven rain to soak the TPO edge which then wicked itself across the slide roof and rotted the roof plywood. I like the EDPM material much better and I also used the Eternabond tape along the roofing edge to glue the EDPM to the side walls under the gutter so the wicking won't happen again. I need to go back and caulk under the gutters on the other 2 slides.

Greg

Years ago we did a tour of the Mobile Suites factory, it was just when TPO was coming into use. The question arose as to why MS was sticking to EPDM and the answer was that they found that the flannel backing on TPO would wick moisture up into the roof structure if there was any break in the caulking.  Fast forward a couple of years to our then new Cameo with TPO roofing. The first two years were spent in and out of various shops trying to figure out why water was showing up in the rear basement compartment. Finally out of desperation I peeled back a corner of the roof membrane and found it was wet as far as I could see. Had the whole membrane replaced and insisted on EPDM. It was found that water had wicked up into the whole rear section of the roof and destroyed the roof deck and several interior panels.  Haven't had a problem in the seven years since. TPO is fine as long as there is NO break in any of the caulking around the edge or in any of the penetrations,  which is to say good luck with that.

13 minutes ago, RBH said:

TPO is fine as long as there is NO break in any of the caulking around the edge or in any of the penetrations,

Thank you for that information! I read a lot of RV related publications and had never seen that brought up. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We ripped our TPO roof on our 40ft 5th wheel over 2 years ago.  We had it replaced with a PVC roof.  We've been very pleased with the performance. Very easy to clean, it's bright white, reflecting and the RV is much cooler in the summer, plus it doesn't chalk.  It was an insurance repair costing $7200. I'll admit I was a little leery using this product, but happy with the decision. 

One more point. When the sun roof was removed over the shower, I suspect fine cracks were introduced. It took about 6 months for the cracks to run and one winter rain storm we had a roof flood.  The cracks were very fine and weren't obvious until the winter temperatures dropped.  The sun roof cost $17.  If you replace a roof for 1,000's of dollars, spend a few more and purchase new plastic sun roofs.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived