Windshield

Shallow Draft

I had my windshield replaced yesterday.  Even though there were not many big rock chips in it I thought it was time to change it.  I was thinking on the way to the glass shop that it is not that bad and I could wait a while. I am so pleased with the new clear glass I wish I had done it sooner.  Windshields get pitted slowly over time so unless there is a big rock hit it seems "OK".

Cost was 198.00 CAD including tax. 

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Dollytrolley windshield HAS to be replaced very soon it is so bad that two microwaves and 10 cases of Dr Pepper would not be enough to keep big5er from pasting a big out-of-service on the ole Trolley......

As soon as I get moment away from memory loss mom I will get to the glass shop....

Our Progressive Insurance has a free windshield provision so do many other Insurance companies......check on page 39a of the fine print you might get some use out of your premium.

Drive on......(New windshield= better out-look)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

DT, if the Dr. Pepper is cold enough I might could be bribed into letting you off.......especially since you aren't a commercial vehicle and a pitted windshield ain't illegal in a personal vehicle. That is assumin' that Dolly ain't turned herself into one of them there LLC's.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Did that price cover the new windshield gasket/seal?

No just the new glass.  no need to replace gasket.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

13 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

Local Volvo dealer had them on sale in the spring $98.00 cash and carry ,your on your own as far as install I guess.

Not hard to install [ I helped ]  or was in the way not sure.

But there is a need for the right tools and some know how.

I wonder what their "installed" price was?

4 hours ago, Big5er said:

DT, if the Dr. Pepper is cold enough I might could be bribed into letting you off.......especially since you aren't a commercial vehicle and a pitted windshield ain't illegal in a personal vehicle. That is assumin' that Dolly ain't turned herself into one of them there LLC's.

Hey Phil,

No LLC in the future and the Dolly-Dr. Pepper fund took a hit in that in mid August she had a colic event so she spent one night in the horsepital and her non-Pepper $even gallon IV and meds only came to $3,280 for the night.... that's the good news since the colic surgery runs from $14,000 to $20K's.....horses make truck expenses seem a bargin...

Dolly is happy horse .... Dollymomma is glad and maybe I could have a Small Dr. Pepper mixed with a Big Crown Royal...

Phil what is the max ratio for the best results?

Maybe Dolly needs some Dr Pepper....7 gallons is a BIG IV .. .. maybe cut back to 5 gallons to start?

Drive on.....(Truck cheaper than....Horse)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Shallow Draft said:

Not hard to install [ I helped ]  or was in the way not sure.

But there is a need for the right tools and some know how.

I wonder what their "installed" price was?

at least a hour 

I watched my bluebird school bus get a new windshield and no tools were used ,they used a greasy rope - I bet it was lubed with a non petroleum product The  head mechanic of the shop was showing a apprentice ,they simply wrapped the rope around the gasket  ,this took the longest to demonstrate as it was critical to overlap in the right place and in the right direction and the end that came out last was important .

Then slowly pulled the rope out and round and the windshield slipped into place .Not a lot of effort just good coordination between 2 guys. took less the 10 minutes.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

2 hours ago, hone eagle said:

at least a hour 

I watched my bluebird school bus get a new windshield and no tools were used ,they used a greasy rope - I bet it was lubed with a non petroleum product The  head mechanic of the shop was showing a apprentice ,they simply wrapped the rope around the gasket  ,this took the longest to demonstrate as it was critical to overlap in the right place and in the right direction and the end that came out last was important .

Then slowly pulled the rope out and round and the windshield slipped into place .Not a lot of effort just good coordination between 2 guys. took less the 10 minutes.

I have installed windows like that. 3/16" nylon rope and liquid dish soap.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I knew a guy who worked at Mack 5C, Allentown PA assembly plant until it closed in 1984. For 20 some years it was his job to put in windshields, the rope method you describe above. Said he never broke one.

A new windshield is a real pleasure to have. When mine gets pitted I try to replace them every 2 years, or when a stone creates a crack, which usually happens first. Like a brand new truck....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

8 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

A new windshield is a real pleasure to have. When mine gets pitted I try to replace them every 2 years, or when a stone creates a crack, which usually happens first. Like a brand new truck....

Sounds like the way mine was. This is the first time I have replaced the windshield and I got the truck in 2001. The difference was really amazing especially looking into the sun.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

Double post.

man, this forum software sux.

I   B.   u.         "Improved Beyond Use"

Drive on.....(watch out for the.....posts)

3 hours ago, ARGO said:

If you do that, be SURE to blow all the little hairs off the vehicle before they get wet, or it will have freckles.

Maybe Bronze Wool.  I'm not sure it would do the same job on the glass though.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived