disc brake conversion

Little

This may have been discussed before but a search revealed nothing.

I wish to upgrade my 7000# axles to disc brakes. Someone here must have done this, and I would like to learn from their experience rather than make all the mistakes myself.

Are all avail. disc brakes hyd or are there some with air options?

My electrics are shot and I dont feel like spending $ on something that doesn't work well if there is a better option

Thanks for now, Mark

4 minutes ago, Little said:

This may have been discussed before but a search revealed nothing.

I wish to upgrade my 7000# axles to disc brakes. Someone here must have done this, and I would like to learn from their experience rather than make all the mistakes myself.

Are all avail. disc brakes hyd or are there some with air options?

My electrics are shot and I dont feel like spending $ on something that doesn't work well if there is a better option

Thanks for now, Mark

Hi Mark,

I hope Glenn will see your post. I think he made this conversion on his trailer. His handle is, GlennWest. If you don't get enough replies here think about posting your question in the 5th wheel section.

Best of luck with your project,
Al

Search this forum for "disc" and you get about 6 pages of posts. RandyA's threads are always good...better than mine anyway cuz I have a poor attitude. Of course you don't have to try this search if you think I'm trying to impose my will on you.

Alan, didn't Glenn convert to bludot?

Edited by Big5er
Typo

10 hours ago, Big5er said:

Search this forum for "disc" and you get about 6 pages of posts. RandyA's threads are always good...better than mine anyway cuz I have a poor attitude. Of course you don't have to try this search if you think I'm trying to impose my will on you.

Alan, didn't Glenn convert to bludot?

Thanks "Tips" I actually did the search  and found numerous posts about new trailers with disc and the benefits of disc brakes but none on the actual install.

I'd like to know pros and cons of different actuator systems, whether to use bolt on or weld on caliper mounts etc., also manufacturers, distributors, service centers etc.

Headed Jack's way now. Thanks guys. Mark

It would be VERY helpful if we knew what your TV is!

I tow a Montana fiver with a 2012 F350 and converted to electric over hydraulic disc a few months ago.  I did all work myself using Kodiak brake parts and Hydrator actuator that I purchased from trailer.com. My axles are 7,000 lb Dexter. I also upgraded to Timken USA made bearings while doing the brakes. My cost was $1550.00 for parts.

Thanks. Looks like these guys have bolt on kits. I would like to use the air/hyd. system, however then I would be limited as to which truck I could use. I assume you have not had any issues with the electric?  The only difference is I need a 3 7000# axle kit. Do these use standard bearings? I have a call into performance for (2) 3 axle kits. Going to call trailer.com as soon as I sign off here. Thanks again, Mark

Edited by Little

I noticed that there is a large price variation in the kits. Basically $235 to$600. Is there a reason to go the more expensive route? I will be doing this on a 40' toyhauler and a 25' stacker. Both have 3 7000# axles. Also is there a 'best' electric actuator?

Just pulled the stacker behind bus to Moab. Brakes were of no real use. Bus has Jake and good brakes, but sudden stop could be touchy, hence the changeups. Thanks again, Mark

I've had the chance to drive a 63.500 tonne (140,000 US lbs) 8 axle tractor super B double with air disc on all wheels - there is some pretty good whoa power. 

I guess the market for "big rv" trailers is mostly pickup truck tow vehicle oriented. 

It appears Dexter makes air brake axles

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/medium-duty-air-brakes.pdf?sfvrsn=0

And Wabco has a compact design:

Wabco Air disc trailer brake.jpg

I have wanted one of the Dallas Smith rear suspensions forever, early 2000's they won't sell to individuals and, want to sell in numbers.    I have though about buying an old trailer with that set up just for the suspension.    Wabash made some double drop vans back in the 1990's, they are the most common and they are unicorns.

Steve