Binkley Hitch Head

SuiteSuccess

I used to add a padlock through the second hole on the Binkley Hitch to prevent tampering with the Hitch while parked but abandoned that after a discussion we had on fires in the trailer and the potential to quickly unhitch and save the truck if it were safe to do so.  Now my concern has turned to an added pin behind the "block" after one of our forum members had his trailer come unhitched due to a deformity in the block which defeated the standard single spring loaded pin and allowed the block (which locks the jaws) to back out opening the jaws.  I know this was an isolated event that was not a manufacturing defect from Binkley but was wondering what folks are using in the second hole if anything?  I'm thinking of putting a large cotter pin attached to a small chain so I could solve both issues:  quick disconnect and added assurance behind block.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Can you tell us more about

12 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

trailer come unhitched due to a deformity in the block which defeated the standard single spring loaded pin and allowed the block (which locks the jaws) to back out opening the jaws.

Can you tell us more of what happened.......?

I'm not familiar with your set up, Carl, but the first thing that comes to mind is would it be possible to use something like a clip from a dog chain or something similar that would be easy to remove? The only other thing that comes to mind is if it is easy for you to pull then it would be easy for anyone else to fool with.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

23 minutes ago, noteven said:

When you guys say "Binkley Hitch Head" do you mean this Holland Fifth Wheel?

http://safholland.ca/ca/en/products/fifth-wheels/holland-special-and-light-commercial/holland-fw0001

That's it.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, Mntom said:

I'm not familiar with your set up, Carl, but the first thing that comes to mind is would it be possible to use something like a clip from a dog chain or something similar that would be easy to remove? The only other thing that comes to mind is if it is easy for you to pull then it would be easy for anyone else to fool with.

Tom,

Since I no longer put a padlock on I make it a habit to ALWAYS check my Hitch after every stop to make sure no one has messed with it.  If my second pin were to be pulled that would also be a visual cue to something not being right.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Can you tell us more about

Can you tell us more of what happened.......?

MrSeas, we were the unfortunate ones that dropped our trailer. While Henry was getting his knees worked on, his helper built our hitch and ground the lock block into a wedge instead of squared up to the world and then ground a taper into the locking pin.

I am still thankful that it dropped when it did instead of on the road in traffic. Henry stepped up to the plate and replaced the top half of the hitch and paid for the repairs to our trailer. Just wish it hadn't happened but it did and we can all learn from it.

Since then, I modified the hitch with a new handle that works better to release and also acts as part of the new secondary locks that I added to the hitch. We also added another piece of 3/8 bar stick, match drilled it to the two new holes in the handle and now use two "D" pins as a 2nd and 3rd lock.

They are easy to pop out in an emergency and the hitch would need to be in pieces for all three to fail. I still check them after each stop as well as checking the tie downs and chocks on the Smart car before leaving.

It is not a nice feeling to hear your trailer hit the ground and I don't think I ever will now.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Thanks for filling in the blanks as to the failure that Suite was referring too. I’m sorry it happened and am glad to hear everything worked out.  I also had a bit of a “scare” the first time I used the new to me hitch... but that’s another story. I am interested in the mods you made to your hitch. Any chance for any pictures of the improvements.

7 hours ago, Mntom said:

Tom,

Thought of that.  Tractor Supply shopping today.  I'm still thinking a large cotter pin. Quick release but should be secure in the hole.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

50 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

No lock ,however I 'lean the truck' against the hitch when stopping.

So Ralf, you back up slightly to put pressure on the jaws?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

An advantage of having my hitch forward is that you cannot reach the handle or safety pin without either climbing onto the deck and crawling-reaching under the overhang or have access to the long hook and handle extension.  I still check after every stop though.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Thanks for filling in the blanks as to the failure that Suite was referring too. I’m sorry it happened and am glad to hear everything worked out.  I also had a bit of a “scare” the first time I used the new to me hitch... but that’s another story. I am interested in the mods you made to your hitch. Any chance for any pictures of the improvements.

Will take one when I get home tonight for you

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, hone eagle said:

Ya it takes more then a 3' extension to 'pop' it ,hopefully more trouble for a typical jerk to bother with.

I told Laurie you were smart😋

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived