Awning Problem

travelinbob

3 hours ago, travelinbob said:

It's 10 years old.

I don't have any experience with that awning, but the old service tech in me always likes a challenge. I went looking for a service manual for your awning and did find what I believe to be the right one. Your symptom isn't listed in the troubleshooting chart, but it sounds like the motor may be stalling. While it isn't the best manual I have ever seen, I'm thinking that it might help you. You can download it from this link: Awning Manual

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is powered by a 12v motor so weak battery power could do that. That would be worth taking a look at. The fact that it happens frequently would make me doubt that as the problem, but it can't hurt to check the battery voltage with an accurate meter when it does happen. 

I gather that when it fails you can immediately retract the awning? Since the awning is spring loaded to roll up, it would seem to require more power to extend than to retract. Another possibility that I think of is that it could be a problem in the control circuit believing that the awning is fully extended and so stops. I have not been able to figure out how it knows when to stop. Some control circuits for direct current motors use current sensing and when the motor stalls at the endpoint, that causes current to suddenly rise and so the control turns the motor off. A Kwikee power step is an example of that type control. If the awning does this, then some type of bind in the awning could cause it to turn off prematurely. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The first thing I would suggest is to do is lube all the joints on the awning arms. As in all the pivot points.

A few years back they had some bed motor assemblies. That maybe the problem. You need to contact Dometic for info on that. You will need the serial number from the tude for Dometic.

Now I have a spare motor for testing this system. Used it for years. About a month ago I installed it for a test. It works part time now. Apparently it has a problem now.

Also some mfgrs. Used other control systems possible.

Apply direct 12vdc power to the motor to test. My test motor work some when power is applied. But is not working all the time.

Safe Travels.   Vern

Archived