Rear Exterior Ladder for Diesel Pusher

John Parker

7 hours ago, John Parker said:

Can anyone tell me a rear exterior ladder for a diesel pusher?  One that folds up, so you can open the engine door.  I'm going to need one for a rig that was made without one. 

Maybe these folks will have what you need :

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/rv-ladders/

Goes around , comes around .

Thanks Pat & Peter.  I have tried Stomberg-Carlson, Topline, and Surco.  They don't make ladders that detach at the bottom and fold up.  Surco told me that they will custom make something, but it would be expensive. 

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

Why not just get a 13' telescoping ladder and then use it to get up on the roof anywhere on the rig?  If not attached when built, how do you know there is sufficient support for an attached latter built into the back cap.  We don't have a built in ladder and use our telescoping one wherever we need to.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I would like an attached ladder.  There are obviously a lot of diesels with full length ladders out there.  I'm surprised these ladders aren't easier to find.  I'll be watching RV parks for one. 

John & Connie Parker

Yes, there are a lot of DPs with ladders - but they were designed and built that way with appropriate strengthening of the rear cap to allow them to be attached.   How do you know (1) that your rear cap has appropriate re-enforcement for the ladder and (2) where that re-enforcement is located?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for your concern.  Answer: I can look from inside the engine compartment and see blocking in the appropriate places.  Universal ladders, and probably most other ladders, will allow me to put the standouts over the blocking where I need them.  Actually I untended to deal with this issue myself later.  The help I am looking for is a ladder for a diesel pusher that probably folds up from the bottom so I could open the engine cover.  Or maybe there is a modification for one of the standard universal ladders being sold.  Should be an easy answer for anyone that has added one. 

12 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, there are a lot of DPs with ladders - but they were designed and built that way with appropriate strengthening of the rear cap to allow them to be attached.   How do you know (1) that your rear cap has appropriate re-enforcement for the ladder and (2) where that re-enforcement is located?

John & Connie Parker

You could use a universal hinged , at the right height . You would likely need to add offset to the down runs at the bottom of the main section .  Those offsets would allow the lower portion of the ladder to be flipped up flat against the main . If that's not a concern , then just find a universal , hinged at the right place . Then keep a bungee cord handy .

I believe the Monaco Triple Crown coaches have a hinged ladder like you're wanting .

Goes around , comes around .

Since it sounds like your end cap does have the reinforcement, you can search RV surplus stores for the appropriate ladder if you can't find one new.  I know of such stores in Elkhart IN, Centralia WA and Eugene OR.  The best ones for a particular model are near where your motorhome was made.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 9/15/2017 at 1:57 PM, Barbaraok said:

Why not just get a 13' telescoping ladder and then use it to get up on the roof anywhere on the rig?  If not attached when built, how do you know there is sufficient support for an attached latter built into the back cap.  We don't have a built in ladder and use our telescoping one wherever we need to.  

Right! Our MH has an OEM ladder w/detachable bottom section. I have never climbed it, at my age it's simply too difficult. I bought a Cosco 13' folding  ladder and carry it in the MH. Not only is it easier to climb onto the roof, it's easy to wash the windshield, adjust my top-mounted mirrors, etc. And, it doesn't take up much more room in the basement than the bottom section of the OEM ladder.

I see lots of folks strap bikes, lawn chairs, etc onto the OEM ladder, many of them at some point wonder why they have gell-coat cracking around it's mounting screws, and water leaks on the roof.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks everyone.  Bill, the RV Surplus places sound good.  Pat and Pete, I search the web and found a picture of one on a Monaco I could use.  Found another old Monaco in a campground that has a nice modification with pull pins on the bottom that would be fairly each to make.  They might still sell them too.  Thanks for the lead.  I could put in a half ladder and hang and extension on too, but then I would have to store it.  Thanks everyone. 

John & Connie Parker

I have an Itasca made by Winnabego. It has a two section ladder. One section is attached to the RV and the bottom half detaches. Try calling Winnabego parts department and see if you can order a ladder for your rig. If they won't sell you one check with any dealer that sells Winnebagos and they may be able to get you one. 

I bought mine used and the lower half is missing but I had no intention of climbing up to the roof on it. I have an extension ladder I use. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived