Rear Exterior Ladder for Diesel Pusher

John Parker

Why not just get a 13' telescoping ladder and then use it to get up on the roof anywhere on the rig?  If not attached when built, how do you know there is sufficient support for an attached latter built into the back cap.  We don't have a built in ladder and use our telescoping one wherever we need to.  

Thanks for your concern.  Answer: I can look from inside the engine compartment and see blocking in the appropriate places.  Universal ladders, and probably most other ladders, will allow me to put the standouts over the blocking where I need them.  Actually I untended to deal with this issue myself later.  The help I am looking for is a ladder for a diesel pusher that probably folds up from the bottom so I could open the engine cover.  Or maybe there is a modification for one of the standard universal ladders being sold.  Should be an easy answer for anyone that has added one. 

12 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, there are a lot of DPs with ladders - but they were designed and built that way with appropriate strengthening of the rear cap to allow them to be attached.   How do you know (1) that your rear cap has appropriate re-enforcement for the ladder and (2) where that re-enforcement is located?

Edited by John Parker
clerical error--put my answer in the quote

You could use a universal hinged , at the right height . You would likely need to add offset to the down runs at the bottom of the main section .  Those offsets would allow the lower portion of the ladder to be flipped up flat against the main . If that's not a concern , then just find a universal , hinged at the right place . Then keep a bungee cord handy .

I believe the Monaco Triple Crown coaches have a hinged ladder like you're wanting .

Edited by Pat & Pete

On 9/15/2017 at 1:57 PM, Barbaraok said:

Why not just get a 13' telescoping ladder and then use it to get up on the roof anywhere on the rig?  If not attached when built, how do you know there is sufficient support for an attached latter built into the back cap.  We don't have a built in ladder and use our telescoping one wherever we need to.  

Right! Our MH has an OEM ladder w/detachable bottom section. I have never climbed it, at my age it's simply too difficult. I bought a Cosco 13' folding  ladder and carry it in the MH. Not only is it easier to climb onto the roof, it's easy to wash the windshield, adjust my top-mounted mirrors, etc. And, it doesn't take up much more room in the basement than the bottom section of the OEM ladder.

I see lots of folks strap bikes, lawn chairs, etc onto the OEM ladder, many of them at some point wonder why they have gell-coat cracking around it's mounting screws, and water leaks on the roof.

Thanks everyone.  Bill, the RV Surplus places sound good.  Pat and Pete, I search the web and found a picture of one on a Monaco I could use.  Found another old Monaco in a campground that has a nice modification with pull pins on the bottom that would be fairly each to make.  They might still sell them too.  Thanks for the lead.  I could put in a half ladder and hang and extension on too, but then I would have to store it.  Thanks everyone. 

I have an Itasca made by Winnabego. It has a two section ladder. One section is attached to the RV and the bottom half detaches. Try calling Winnabego parts department and see if you can order a ladder for your rig. If they won't sell you one check with any dealer that sells Winnebagos and they may be able to get you one. 

I bought mine used and the lower half is missing but I had no intention of climbing up to the roof on it. I have an extension ladder I use.