A/C Question

I have  a chance at buying an A/C unit from a trailer for a really decent price. I want to put A/C in the bedroom of my trailer (pre wired). The one I have a chance at getting is from a ducted system and I would need a ceiling diffuser. Can I use the ducted unit and put a diffuser on it or would that cause more issues than what it is worth?

Tom

VisitedStatesMap.gif

It would depend on what make & model it is and on what your RV is wired for. If you have that information you can probably figure it out or get help from one of our resident RV techs. (Are you out there, Vern?) Most ducted a/c units do not have local controls but depend on a thermostat with controls to turn it on and off and set temperature. If your RV doesn't have those and isn't wired for them, it would be a major project to add them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My trailer is prewired for a second A/C. There are thermostat wires in place for it too (yep, I checked). What I am wondering is about the air flow. If the unit was designed for use with a duct, is it possible to put a ceiling diffuser on it and not run in to air flow/freezing problems? Don't most units that have a diffuser on it have the return in the center of the unit with air blowing out all four sides?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Both ducted RV air conditioners that we had come with a lower cover that could be opened to dump air directly out of the unit into the space and at least one of them had operation instructions to use it with the grill open at first to precool, then close it and use the ducts to less noisy operation. Can you look at this one to see if it is that way also? If it is, then the lack of ducts should not matter. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That's what I have in here now. The only issue with that approach is that the unit will be above the bed on my wife's side............ She says it is cold in here when it is 71*. The guy hasn't gotten back to me with how many BTUs it is,so I am beginning to think there may be an issue or two with it............

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived