Florida Hurricane Assistance Needed

I have a friend in Florida that is in need of someone with a fifth wheel hitch willing to pull a trailer for her. She has a horse trailer (with horses) and a fiver she needs to move ASAP. She is north of Tampa (in Lutz) and would really like to get her stuff out of there before the hurricane hits. If anyone can help call me at (218)three four zero-3922

Tom

VisitedStatesMap.gif

If I were in the Fla. Ga area I'd volunteer.....paying it forward.   Because time is so short, you might not even be able to find a transport service move it for you.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

29 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

It is simply to early to tell where Irma will hit.  

It has now hit several of the islands and I just watched the projected track currently all nearly all say that this will hit Florida as it is large enough to cover the entire state, even if the eye does stay off the east coast. If I were in Florida with my RV, I would be on the road north and west, today. 

At 5 a.m. Wednesday, Hurricane Irma remains a Category 5 storm. There's been a shift in the forecast cone with a slight shift farther east.

The storm is still projected to threaten the Florida peninsula this weekend. This forecast track puts the west and the east coasts of Florida under the cone of movement.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Pretty much the same news that I'm watching this morning.  I'm with you Kirk......I'd not want to take a chance sitting tight in Florida....just so I could be regretting it by Mon.  I'd rather be proactive rather than reactive.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

17 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

. If I were in Florida with my RV, I would be on the road north and west, today. 

The problem is she doesn't have time to make two trips. She would be willing to buy fuel and food too. She figures she probably wouldn't be aloud back to get the second trailer by the time she got the horses in a safe location.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I would have been underway since yesterday. North and west. Florida is in for it, anyway you look at it.  Feel the need to get AZ reservations ASAP too. There will be alot of people looking to snowbird there now.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Meh.  All of you saying "hit the road" probably don't live in Fla.  I do, in the Melbourne area.  By the time it gets to Brevard County, it is forecast to be a Cat 3.  BTDT more than once.  Not a big deal if you're on the left side of it, which is the side Brevard will be on.   If Irma travels up the spine of Fla, it will quickly weaken.  If it goes up the east coast as most models currently project, I might head toward Tampa.  Sure, there may be some wind and rain, but that is just another summer day in Fla.

Like any other topic on the forums, those with experience post opinions based on experience.  Those with no experience post opinions based on no experience.

I live on a Gulf front canal near Everglades City.  This time I did hurricane proof my place and moved the non replaceable stuff into the MH. Electric power is never dependable here and my MH genny is.  I moved up the spine of FL to Sebring where I now am.  Here I can watch the track as it firms up and decide where to go.  If the track stays like it is now or goes even a bit more out to sea, I'll head back south on Friday ahead of the first wind bands.  Kind of tuck myself back in behind the storm.   H. Matthew took the same track last year and the SW corner of FL turned out to be the best place to be.  Some tropical storm force winds, on the weaker side, and on that side of the eye the wind is all offshore for me - zero storm surge.  And it's the storm surge that the problem for me.  The building will withstand the wind without a doubt.  But the glades are already full with water maybe 6-8" below the elevation of US 41 and encroaching within 5' in many places.  My floor elevation is about 6' above sea level and 80' from the basin. On shore surge even from a tropical depression or storm can cover 1/3 of that distance.

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

On 9/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, Mntom said:

I have a friend in Florida that is in need of someone with a fifth wheel hitch willing to pull a trailer for her. She has a horse trailer (with horses) and a fiver she needs to move ASAP. She is north of Tampa (in Lutz) and would really like to get her stuff out of there before the hurricane hits. If anyone can help call me at (218)three four zero-3922

Tom

This website may be helpful http://www.uship.com/vehicles/.

I would first phone RV dealers and ask if they know of a couple of drivers with 1T trucks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/6/2017 at 11:32 AM, Mntom said:

Well, I spoke to her this morning....... She decided that since the predicted tracks of Irma are on the east side and she is on the west side, she will shelter in place. She also said with the rain she received her yard wouldn't support a truck.

I hope that she survives OK but I'm not so sure that was a good decision. I learned yesterday that the Navy is evacuating the Naval Nuclear Power Training Center that is located just to the north of Charleston, SC. The positive thing is that this morning's reports are that Irma has now dropped to a class 4 storm but it looks to come right up the center of the FL peninsula. 

If the storm stays on it's projected path, Lutz will receive tropical storm force winds, NOT hurricane force winds (>75 mph).  Irma is likely to be a Cat 2 when it gets to Orlando, which is parallel to Lutz.  Lutz is also on the west side of the storm's path.  The west side typically receives less severe winds due to rotational forces.

The biggest problem with this hurricane, IMO, is all the hype, post Harvey.  Any section of Fla impacted by Irma will receive winds for only 4 - 6 hours and about a foot of rain, maximum.  South Florida will get hit hardest with a likely Cat 4 because Irma is coming off the water.  Once she is over land, she will weaken and the hurricane force winds will extend less and less from the center.  

However, her track is STILL not firm and those who evacuated to GA or AL could receive more of an impact than many who stayed.

I had some friends that left from the Miami area Wednesday.. That day they made it to Gainseville, FL.

Thursday it took them 12 hours from there to north side of Atlanta. They are in a car and heading for TN.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

1 hour ago, Biker56 said:

I had some friends that left from the Miami area Wednesday.. That day they made it to Gainseville, FL.

Thursday it took them 12 hours from there to north side of Atlanta. They are in a car and heading for TN.

As of this mornings 5 day forecast , so is Irma .

Goes around , comes around .

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

As of this mornings 5 day forecast , so is Irma .

In TN. Irma Winds predicted to only be around 39 MPG or less. They will be able to handle that. :)

Down where they are from it is normal to get many days with gust up to 40-45 MPH at times.
That is why I have straps tying my patio awning down all winter while there.
MH always parked N&S and awning facing East

I usually get back down there around Sept 24-25 I've done that every year for the last 18.
I am going to be on hold this year until things settle out down there.
Just hanging at my Son's house right now in IN..

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 9/6/2017 at 0:32 PM, Mntom said:

Well, I spoke to her this morning....... She decided that since the predicted tracks of Irma are on the east side and she is on the west side, she will shelter in place. 

Now that Irma has moved well to the west since 3 days ago when she made her decision, she may regret it.  I hope she comes thru it o.k.  My house was directly under the track 3 days ago and I planned to stay..  I am no longer even within the "cone of uncertainty" now.

Thelatest:         (Updated 8 am EST) 
* Irma now at Cat 4 status with 155 mph sustained winds - projected path stays west leaving central NC out of the cone
* Storm expected to hit south of Miami on Sunday
* NC state of emergency continues; NC National Guard on standby
* 5 million told to flee Florida

450x253

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Harvey dumped significantly more rain and stayed in TX

A friend on the northeast side of the city emptied a total of 46" of water from the rain gauge and 3 different times it had run over at 6". She was emptying it each time that she checked it, two or three times a day for 5 days. Not all of the homes are clear of water even now, almost a month later and the cleanup is just beginning. Many areas are still without electric power and safe water. 

Archived