Pilot & Flying J

freestoneangler

Michelle and Ann:  Thank you for your input.  I am not concerned with a bio-diesel content of 5% or less.  Cummins States in our engine 

22 hours ago, mhs4771 said:

Orvil, do some checking as Stations are not required to post Bio content if 5% or less.  So while you may think you're getting 100% #2 Diesel, it's more than likely that it's only 95% with 5% Bio.  Greater than 5% is labeled, generally stateing "Contains 5 to 20% Bio".

We're almost 60' so trying to get into and out of a typical station can be a trip in it's self.  We have the RV Plus Card which gives us the 8 cent off the cash price, but also lets me start the pump, get my fuel, write down amount, price per gal, and total and leave, no need to go inside unless you want a hard copy receipt.  Been doing it this way for the past 4 or 5 years and never a problem.

manuel that up to 10% is acceptable. For myself, I'll purchase fresh fuel with a bio-diesel content of 5% or less.  I stated my experience of bio-diesel and fuel mileage above.  By the way, wiith 60,000 plus miles on our rig, we've averaged 7.8 mpg, which I guess is about average for a Cummins ISC 360 engine.  Anyone else CARE to share their mileage?  As always, oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is not doubt in our mind that Bio Diesel of more than 10%  affects MPG and performance.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, Onthego said:

I think Flying J's have a dedicated RV island Pilot's don't. We are a gas rig and 35' plus a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. This summer I  was pulling a 24' enclosed trailer instead of the Jeep. We were almost 65' so had to be more careful where to buy gas. Google maps was very helpful with getting a look at the station.

Jeff     :)

They are some Pilot stations that have RV Islands. I have filled up at one in Gilman, IL  a few times. They even have a RV Dump Station. I ate at the Denny's there last Tusday.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

15 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

They are some Pilot stations that have RV Islands. I have filled up at one in Gilman, IL  a few times. They even have a RV Dump Station. I ate at the Denny's there last Tusday.

For reasons I don't begin to understand, some Flying J's were rebranded to Pilot's as part of the buyout deal, while other PFJ locations were sold off to keep the DOJ anti-trust folks happy.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, Biker56 said:

I've seen many that have the RV islands on the front left of the parking lot, where you have to pull past the front of the store to get out.  When your 65+ft long, it's not impossible, but you would create a traffic jam trying it...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When they merged some pilots became FJ and some FJ became pilots in general the pilots were older stations and did not have then RV pumps separate. We are 56 feet long truck and 5th wheel and can manage most of the RV pumps. The only problem are inconsiderate RV ers  who fuel then go inside or can not read signs. We generally use the RV pumps when they are separate and the truck pumps  when they are not. We are never in a hurry when in travel and like to stop every 250 miles or so were we normally rest, stretch and top off fuel. We share the driving so the trip is not stressful.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:47 PM, richfaa said:

We use FJ/ Pilot almost exclusively .We have the RV plus card with 8 cents discount on Diesel. Easy in easy out many have RV pumps  plenty of parking room  the food is not bad if needed. and there are plenty of them all over the country.

Us too! The last time I refueled at a PFJ, my PFJ RV rewards card did not work. Went inside and the manger said  to forget using the PFJ card, as the Good Sam card gave a better discount- 8 cents/G. I, like you don't mind paying extra for the convenience and reliably good fuel.

I do refuel at my local Murphy station because I know the layout, but anywhere else it's PFJ because they are so convenient and  have the small nozzles, my MH has standard automobile fill caps, making a truck nozzle a pain in the arse to use.

For those who say they will not buy biodiesel, you do- every time. Two percent bio is blended in to replace lost lubricity during the refining process that removes sulfur, as mandated by the EPA. It is the cheapest and most effective lubricant replacement available.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We use FJ/ Pilot almost exclusively .We have the RV plus card with 8 cents discount on Diesel.

I have the RV Plus card also. But quit using it when the GS card started to give me 8¢ a gal.
Then using my Visa CC gives me another 3% of total sale. Or up to another 8¢ a gal at today's prices at some.

Did I say I love that 16¢ a gal discount?  :)

369070033.jpg

32 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

I have the RV Plus card also. But quit using it when the GS card started to give me 8¢ a gal.
Then using my Visa CC gives me another 3% of total sale. Or up to another 8¢ a gal at today's prices at some.

Did I say I love that 16¢ a gal discount?  :)

We have both  cards but my RV plus card does give 8 cents per gallon discount.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:47 PM, richfaa said:

We use FJ/ Pilot almost exclusively .We have the RV plus card with 8 cents discount on Diesel. Easy in easy out many have RV pumps  plenty of parking room  the food is not bad if needed. and there are plenty of them all over the country.

X2. Never really check about the .08 discount, but it does get pump start and cash price for CC.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

18 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I use the GS card for the 8 cent discount and pay

I was a regular Flying J customer until they began to require that you be a member of Good Sam in order to get the card. I almost never go into them now. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I was a regular Flying J customer until they began to require that you be a member of Good Sam in order to get the card. I almost never go into them now. 

I have a lifetime GS membership that came free with an RV purchase years ago, so I'm not going to turn down the fuel discount whether I agree with how GSE runs their business or not. Some folks still won't use PFJ because of their previous legal issues with fleet buyers, but I don't hold that against them either.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Truck stops like FJ/ Pilot offers a convenience that makes travel easier for us.FJ/pilot  is preferred  because of the facilities in most  cases. The fuel perks are a plus. We do not boycott any business or individual .We go were we want and use what we need.Makes life easier.

1 minute ago, richfaa said:

We do not boycott any business or individual

Did I advocate that action? If so I do not remember when but I just do not seek them out any longer and I do choose competitors who have lower fuel prices without the discount. I have also gone there on occasion if they have something that I need and others do not. Most boycotts harm the person doing so more than anyone else. The discount is a loyalty card to get you to go past others and buy from them. Since I am no longer included (I had a Flying J card for many years which they won't accept now because it was not the GS version), I just choose by convenience, location, and price. In most cases, the Love's stations offer everything that Pilot/Flying J has and sometimes have lower prices or are more convenient. I select fuel stops using Gas Buddy and lately that has seldom been at one of their stations.  Notice that I said that I "almost never" go to them. 

On 9/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, accumack said:

I have found T/A Petro to be be #2 diesel no bio we are currently in New Mexico. I don't know for how long it will stay that way. I can tell what the bio % is by my milage. I'd be surprised to find that bio diesel run in the engine will meet the emissions standard due to the decrease in mpg. The lobby's 2% is B*lls**t. not real world numbers.

In NM 2 of the 7 stations T/A there have 20% Bio

In AZ 7 stations 4-20% 2-10%

369070033.jpg

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You can now download a app for a 3¢ discount and no membership required to any club. :)

I have been a GS Charter Lifetime member since 1978. So I use it for the 8¢ fuel discount at Flying J/Pilot stores.
And then using my Bank of America Visa CC gives me another 3% on total sales after the GS discount.
With Diesel now back around $2.80 that is another 8¢ a gal. Total 16¢ a gal. :o

Plus I love the Denney's at many Flying J/Pilot stores after a fuel fill up.
Biskits & Gravy, 2 eggs and Hash Browns for $4 then I use my AARP card for a 15% discount off the $4. ;)

369070033.jpg

The fact that most Flying Js now have higher than 5% Bio (which is not recommended for our 2008 duramax) has resulted in my not using them unless I have to. I have found that the Shell truck stops are usually pretty easy to use when towing and their fuel rewards card can be used with a credit card that gives a rebate on fuel purchases. Since we only travel about 200-250 miles a day and often stop for more than one night, I fill up most of the time when not towing. On those occasions, I find it hard to beat the Kroger chains of grocery (Kroger, Smith's, Fry''s Dillion's, City Market and others) and convenience stores (Kwik Shop, Loaf N Jug, Quik Stop, Tom Thumb Food Stores, Turkey Hill and Smith's Express) . The reward points build with purchases at every store in the Kroger family and you can get your discount (which at times is 3 cents even with no points) while also using a credit card that gives a rebate for gas purchases.

The fact that most Flying Js now have higher than 5% Bio

The FACT is many stations are using more then 5% Bio not just Flying J's.
If you dig in and research. Probably many of the places you are using are also over the 5%

Many Shell T/A stops have up to 20%
Every day more & more stations/Brands are adding Bio. Soon they probably will be 100% of the stations having some percent of Bio in their tanks.

With Bio added you no longer need to add any lubricant to the diesel. :)

369070033.jpg

28 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

Probably many of the places you are using are also over the 5%

If they are, they are breaking federal law by not posting it on the pump as federal law requires any bio content over 5% be identified. I check the pumps carefully. Most of our travel is not on the interstate so I am not stopping at many of the chain truck stops like T/A, Petro, Flying J, Pilot, etc.

3 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

f they are, they are breaking federal law by not posting it on the pump as federal law requires any bio content over 5% be identified. I check the pumps carefully.

Thank you for that link!

5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Did I advocate that action? If so I do not remember when but I just do not seek them out any longer and I do choose competitors who have lower fuel prices without the discount. I have also gone there on occasion if they have something that I need and others do not. Most boycotts harm the person doing so more than anyone else. The discount is a loyalty card to get you to go past others and buy from them. Since I am no longer included (I had a Flying J card for many years which they won't accept now because it was not the GS version), I just choose by convenience, location, and price. In most cases, the Love's stations offer everything that Pilot/Flying J has and sometimes have lower prices or are more convenient. I select fuel stops using Gas Buddy and lately that has seldom been at one of their stations.  Notice that I said that I "almost never" go to them. 

No you did not. FJ/Pilot is our choice for our reasons .We would use FJ/Pilot if they did not have the discount. They are convenient t in our travels.we do use Loves,TA, Etc if need be.

4 hours ago, Biker56 said:

With Bio added you no longer need to add any lubricant to the diesel. :)

While that may be true, I have found that the higher the percentage of bio the lower my fuel economy.

I also noticed at the last Flying J we stopped at the pump said the bio content could be between 5% and 20%. That did not impress me at all as I would like to know what I am getting. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived