PRE HDT RALLY?

I'mdonewiththis forum

Anybody know if there is anything going on in Hutch prior to the rally? I have about four weeks between my appointments at Mayo in Rochester, Mn and the rally. Just wondering ifI could get into the fairgrounds about a week before the rally. Last year IF memory serves me correct there was a GS rally before the HDT rally. I wouldn't want to interrupt another goings on.........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is always room in the fairgrounds. I had to stay (with several others) in the overflow area while Good Sam used the campground two years in a row. If I am correct the rally has been moved so that no longer occurs. I, for one, plan to get in there a week early barring a major schedule malfunction. 

By getting in early you will have a chance to see some of the local attractions like the salt mine tour and/or the cosmosphere. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The Good Sams Rally ends on Sunday, October 1st. There are no official events scheduled the rest of that week so the RV park is wide open. Traditionally over the years, we have had the unofficial "Pre Rally Rally" for those that come in early. No seminars, just purely a fun social event. For those that come in early, or stay late, the extra nights are paid directly to the fairgrounds.

Rally registration is still open. The T-Shirt order has already been sent in, so the late registrants unfortunately will not get a T-Shirt. Everyone is still welcome to come and have some fun, learn a little and even teach a little. This is shaping up to be the best HDT Rally yet!

To register, go to www.NationalHDTRally.com

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

There is always room in the fairgrounds. I had to stay (with several others) in the overflow area while Good Sam used the campground two years in a row. If I am correct the rally has been moved so that no longer occurs. I, for one, plan to get in there a week early barring a major schedule malfunction. 

By getting in early you will have a chance to see some of the local attractions like the salt mine tour and/or the cosmosphere. 

I used to say come hell or high water we will be there, but after what you've been through,Phil, just doesn't seem appropriate this year.  Prayers still with you and Texas.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 minutes ago, sdixon747 said:

This is shaping up to be the best HDT Rally yet!

To register, go to www.NationalHDTRally.com

Steve,

How many have to got so far? How many newbie?

Just a thought on newbies, that I saw another rally do:- pair the newbies with an experienced Rally member to show them the ropes and help point them to the right people to answer questions. Helps break the ice and get new people up to speed sooner! Thoughts?

Gerry

54 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Steve,

Just a thought on newbies, that I saw another rally do:- pair the newbies with an experienced Rally member to show them the ropes and help point them to the right people to answer questions. Helps break the ice and get new people up to speed sooner! Thoughts?

Gerry

I just "showed up" and I had absolutely no problem getting all the info I could stand! Gerry, you get there and you won't have any issue with who to talk to. Everyone there is  more than happy to help!  I'm  looking forward to it!!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I used to say come hell or high water we will be there, but after what you've been through,Phil, just doesn't seem appropriate this year.  Prayers still with you and Texas.

What??? I sure was hoping for some more homemade sushi, Carl. Y'all stay safe.  We'll cross paths again.

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil,

We're gonna be there, didn't mean to imply we wouldn't be. Just didn't think my standby phrase was appropriate with what y'all have been through and still going through 😊.  Definitely "hell and high water".

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Will see what I can whip up at the sushi bar.  Tom, y'all are definitely invited. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Homemade sushi? That sounds interesting! 

Carl goes fishing in the pond behind the Girl Scout building!!!:lol:

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

1 minute ago, sdixon747 said:

Carl goes fishing in the pond behind the Girl Scout building!!!:lol:

And I always check out the livestock barns for supplies 😜

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

And I always check out the livestock barns for supplies 😜

Nothing but the best!:D

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Carl, I am looking forward to being there. I can use the rest :)

Hey Steve, you got any more of that wasabi? I like spicy and that sh...stuff was the bomb. 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Steve,

Gerry

Gerry

We do not have a formal program or plan to pair the "Old Timers" with the "Newbies" because often, someone may be a first timer, yet come in with a wealth of experience and knowledge. We do, however encourage those with experience to open up to those with limited knowledge and experience. We also encourage the new people to not be shy. If you have questions, or need help with a project, seek out someone to answer your question or help with your project. The answers are there, you just have to ask.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

I hope that this group is nicer to other new people than they were to me. I went last year at great expense to meet people and learn things but then was absolutly ignored. I was alone without my wife and did not have a trailer to stay in so it was not a optimal situation but, it could have been much better if anyone had taken the time to be nice to me or include me in something.

I first ran into Jack and he pushed me off on Steve who was nice while he took my money and then never spoke to me again. He from then on would look away so he would not have to acknowledge me as he walked by me. like I was not even worth a smile and a nod as he passed. 

The handful of people that did speak with me were very nice but the rest treated me like the new kid at lunch in the cafeteria in high school. Everyone was in a "click" and did not give the time of day to the "outsider" 

I do understand that I am not the best in group situations and can be a little shy about meeting new people. I was not expecting a bunch of new besties out of it but what I got from this group in person was not what I expected after being treated well here on the forum. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

2 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Carl, I am looking forward to being there. I can use the rest :)

Hey Steve, you got any more of that wasabi? I like spicy and that sh...stuff was the bomb. 

I'll check with Gail, but I'm sure I have a few tubes left. That's some GOOD STUFF!!!

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

4 minutes ago, 13speed said:

I hope that this group is nicer to other new people than they were to me. I went last year at great expense to meet people and learn things but then was absolutly ignored. I was alone without my wife and did not have a trailer to stay in so it was not a optimal situation but, it could have been much better if anyone had taken the time to be nice to me or include me in something.

I first ran into Jack and he pushed me off on Steve who was nice while he took my money and then never spoke to me again. He from then on would look away so he would not have to acknowledge me as he walked by me. like I was not even worth a smile and a nod as he passed. 

The handful of people that did speak with me were very nice but the rest treated me like the new kid at lunch in the cafeteria in high school. Everyone was in a "click" and did not give the time of day to the "outsider" 

I do understand that I am not the best in group situations and can be a little shy about meeting new people. I was not expecting a bunch of new besties out of it but what I got from this group in person was not what I expected after being treated well here on the forum. 

I'm so sorry you feel that way. If you feel that I was ignoring you or avoiding you, I assure you that it was not intentional. During the rally, my day starts at about 5AM and goes nonstop until about 8 or 9 at night. I rarely even have the time to attend the seminars. I am usually running around making sure that the building is set up for the next seminar. Checking if the refrigerator is stocked with sodas and water. Do I need to go out and buy more supplies for tomorrows breakfast? I have to take the time to mark off the parking lot for the Group Photo Shoot. I am constantly running around doing things to make sure that the rally runs smoothly. About the only time I take a break is during "Happy Hour" when I will sit and have a glass of wine and maybe a snack. If you would like to join me for your favorite beverage during Happy Hour, I would love for you to join me.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

37 minutes ago, 13speed said:

Wow!  I thought I was reading a fiction story here! Even though I had to jet out of there early last year, I thought I got around to meeting about everybody and talk at least once.

And we all know that Jack likes to talk!  Heck, when we first started coming back in '08 Jack taught me everything I know!  Well, that he knew, and now I know more! :P

If you really want to get to meet, and know a lot of people, just step up and volunteer!  Just look around when you are there, and ask one of the folks who are doing something.  There are plenty of opportunities available.  Pretty soon we'll all be calling on you to help!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I'm sorry but a stranger, waiting for other strangers to approach and talk to them, just seems like a recipe for disaster. I didn't know any of these people the first time I went to a rally but I don't mind saying "hi" and waving.  

Steve, like he said, always seems to busy to talk, so I just played with his dog and talked to his wife.  

I met Robert and Heidi when one of their sweet young children approached me and asked "Excuse me sir. May I walk your dog"? My immediately thought was "Who the heck taught this child proper english"? So I said "Sure ya can".

I met Roger when he woke me up from a nap trying to maneuver that HUGE DRV with that LGT into the space next door. I asked if he needed to borrow a real truck. 

I wore my name tag everywhere and read everyone elses. I tagged along like a lost puppy and interrupted, interjected and interfered where ever I could.

Speaking of puppies, maybe you should bring one of those with you. I met the White's and Bailey Mae, I shocked the poo out of Jack Mayer when he told me his dog was old and wouldn't play with my Dred. We sure proved him wrong (RIP Poppy). Trash and Jim Brumfield were great neighbors as were Jay and his beautiful dobie, Edina.  Brad and Ian the wonder dog are somehow related to me now...at least Ian is. I never had a furry nephew before and I still wonder what kind of dog he is. 

I am sorry you felt left out. And yes, there are many "cliques" there. So what? Just grab a beverage and sit down, then you too are in the clique. I spent time with several great couples, who didn't ignore me because I am single. I listened to people talking about the great times they had doing this and that...in the year I was born. I never hosted a happy hour but when I started offering up some stuffed and grilled jalapenos, the roving cliques stopped, ate a few and chatted a bit before moving on. Heck, you can follow me around if you can keep up. I gotta tell you in advance that there are a few people that won't speak to me. But there are plenty that do...even Rocky and his lovely bride.....and they own cats. 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, 13speed said:

Chris,

I will hang out with you!!  Besides, I want to see that new Volvo and NH rig! ;) Got it yet?

We can create our own clique - the lost newbies!

I have stopped by the rally several times through the years and got the alien look from many, I did have a few nice conversations with the few folks that took to a stranger.    I actually have extended an invitation to the rally folks to come visit my shop to no avail.     I might try stopping by again, I drive a little white Mercedes wagon, or blue Peterbilt.    You are still welcome to slum it down on the wrong side of the tracks.  

Rally attendees, you are cordially invited to visit Mid-Kansas Ag & industrial 402 S. Washington St.  when you are in Hutchinson.     My shop has indoor parking for 4-5 rigs and outside parking for another 15-20, that would be  entire rigs with trailers, trucks alone I could host 50+       I am transitioning from my former project to?      The project just shelved was a bio-digester, basically a giant blender.     The shop is a prototype machine/fab shop with a lot of weird junk thrown in.      Charlie Lord is the only one that has seen the place, maybe he can chime in.   

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

59 minutes ago, sdixon747 said:

During the rally, my day starts at about 5AM and goes nonstop until about 8 or 9 at night. I rarely even have the time to attend the seminars. I am usually running around making sure that the building is set up for the next seminar.

Steve,

Well understand that one of the main organizers would be 100+% occupied during the Rally. Been there, have the tee shirt!  But with that many other "Experienced HDTers" [based on last years pictures] I think the volunteer initial pairing might be a useful idea. It's not like they will be like a lost puppy following the Experienced HDTer everywhere. That would be just weird!!! :o Now sure that the ratio of newbie to Experienced HDTers is.

30 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I'm sorry but a stranger, waiting for other strangers to approach and talk to them, just seems like a recipe for disaster. I didn't know any of these people the first time I went to a rally but I don't mind saying "hi" and waving.  

I wore my name tag everywhere and read everyone elses. I tagged along like a lost puppy and interrupted, interjected and interfered where ever I could.

Phil,

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I do have a "puppy" - a 9 year old very energetic sociable (with people) Weimaraner that would probably pull your HDT with the brakes engaged. Any furry or feathered creatures at the fairgrounds? As we are staying in a hotel, will probably not be able to bring her. And yes, I will talk with you. :D

48 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

If you really want to get to meet, and know a lot of people, just step up and volunteer!  Just look around when you are there, and ask one of the folks who are doing something.  There are plenty of opportunities available.  Pretty soon we'll all be calling on you to help!

Rocky,

We have gone to visit Jack, we know how he is ;); but he has thought me a lot so far. He is just "down the road" from us in CO.

I'm not sure about the volunteering idea, hard to help or tell people about something, when you know nothing!!!!!!! 

Newbie starting from zero.

Gerry

8 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

I'm not sure about the volunteering idea, hard to help or tell people about something, when you know nothing!!!!!!! 

Newbie starting from zero.

As a Newbie starting from zero, one of the unwritten rules of the rally is "An open hood is an open invitation". If you see an open hood, feel free to go on over and join the crowd. An open hood always draws a crowd. Ask questions. Offer to help if you can, even if it just holding a wrench. Participate as much as you can. You probably know more than you think.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

We've not yet attended a National Rally, but made the first Crossville rally.  Even though my bride and I are quite shy and backward, folks came up and made us feel welcome.  Someday we'll make it to Hutch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived