New guy

Goinbigger

Too light hitch can initiate oscillations in the vehicle.  If you're using a stabilizer type hitch, it can dampen that out, to some extent.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Goinbigger said:

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

Well I guess there is no "federal" length limit, just state. I rarely head south or east so going over 65' shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Minnesota's length limit is 75'. We had our HDT titled as a motorhome when we lived in Minnesota.

No need for air ride seats in the back for kids, the air ride cab and suspension work very well. The wife typically doesn't even put air in her seat, only if the sun is coming in at a low angle and misses the visor.

We made up a rear seat back that works on the bed with seat belts. 2 Adults and 2 kids could sit there but the kids legs would eventually be hitting the cabinets behind the seats. Using a couch works great for the leg room and for seating four people.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 minute ago, rickeieio said:

Too light hitch can initiate oscillations in the vehicle.  If you're using a stabilizer type hitch, it can dampen that out, to some extent.

Right, but on a bumper pull type trailer, you'll be hard pressed to find something substantially over a 10% hitch weight.  That's pretty much the rule of thumb for tag-along weight calculations.  10% of trailer weight goes on the hitch.  It works very well.  more than that and most regular vehicles can't handle the weight.  Less than that and you get some really weird dynamics.  10% is the norm in my experience.  Unlike with a fifth wheel trailer.

I very accurately weighed my tongue weight with the trailer level. If I don't use the WD hitch my tongue weight is 3,200 lbs. With the tongue raised up 1 inch higher than level the tongue weight goes up to 3,500 lbs.

I don't have an accurate way of weighing it with the WD bars on, but I am guessing it will be somewhat less. I don't need the WD bars as the Freightliner has self leveling air ride suspension and 23K rear axle.

I did speak with Don at Air Safe Hitch and he said that even their largest VIII Hitch could not handle the tongue weight as his air bag would not be able to lift it back to level. So unfortunately, I am going to have to live with the"Chucking" until if and when they can make a larger capacity one.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

10 hours ago, Shifted said:

Right, but on a bumper pull type trailer, you'll be hard pressed to find something substantially over a 10% hitch weight.  That's pretty much the rule of thumb for tag-along weight calculations.  10% of trailer weight goes on the hitch.  It works very well.  more than that and most regular vehicles can't handle the weight.  Less than that and you get some really weird dynamics.  10% is the norm in my experience.  Unlike with a fifth wheel trailer.

From the factory, yes. Mine empty is 6800lbs. 720lb tongue weight, so 10.5% roughly. Depending on how you load the trailer, you can increase that percentage considerably. Most places recommend 10-15% I have both eu2000i's and a bunch of other stuff in the front pass through just to increase that percentage. Even regular flatbed trailers empty should be around 10% so they are stable when empty. When I load my skid steer I push it farther forward than most to increase that tongue weight and have a more stable pulling trailer.

10 hours ago, Shifted said:

For me, length is just one factor.  The other one is maneuverability around corners.  And that is affected by three things: the truck's wheel base, where the pivot point between the truck and trailer is, and where the axles on the trailer are.  My truck is a 220" wheel base, so I can maneuver it just about anywhere without much difficulty.  The pivot point between the truck and trailer is about 6' behind the rear axle, so that causes the trailer to track much closer to the truck's path than a fifth wheel trailer would.  My trailer's axles are a little further back than I would like, so that causes it to cut inside of the truck's path a little bit.  My previous trailer was 31' long and had the axles further forward, and I could take the entire rig through very tight parking lots with no problem.

So, in some ways, a longer bed on your truck will actually make it much easier for you to maneuver the trailer, despite the longer length.  I've also found that cameras placed at the top forward corners of the trailer on either side help a lot.  They allow you to see down the entire length of the trailer.  And another one at the top of the rear of the trailer is very helpful for backing in.  With a little practice, I am able to use the cameras to get into some very difficult spots without using a spotter.

For the seating, I'm not suggesting that you don't have seat belts :)  Definitely put those in!  But the couch offers a lot of flexibility, and it is plenty comfortable.  Anyone who has ridden on it in my truck has said that it is more comfortable than a regular car by far.  Just make sure that the seatbelts and the couch are properly secured to the truck so that they won't go anywhere in an accident.

With respect to the Montana LLC, it's never been a problem for me so far and I am very confident that it never will be.  I am 100% legal in all respects.  As long as there are no "commercial uses" in play.  There have been other discussions on this topic so we probably shouldn't rehash it in this thread.  But I am happy to provide more information on it in private messaging if it would be helpful to you.

Thanks, that seems like a nice set up. Do any of you have any pictures of the couch set up like that?

I will just search for the llc thing, thanks for the idea.

1 hour ago, Goinbigger said:

Thanks, that seems like a nice set up. Do any of you have any pictures of the couch set up like that?

I will just search for the llc thing, thanks for the idea.

Here is a link to a couple of photos I have of the couch in my sleeper.

As far as the LLC route, if you are still working and aren't full time the LLC is not a good idea.  If the RV will be garaged in your home state, registering to an out of state LLC but remaining in state can be seen as tax (and fee) evasion by your home state.  States have been known to go after residents for doing this.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

As far as the LLC route, if you are still working and aren't full time the LLC is not a good idea.  If the RV will be garaged in your home state, registering to an out of state LLC but remaining in state can be seen as tax (and fee) evasion by your home state.  States have been known to go after residents for doing this.

Yeah it took about 2 minutes of reading to rule out the LLC.

Thanks for the pics.

12 hours ago, Shifted said:

Besides why use distribution bars with an HDT? I have only had TT's and have "never" needed them, but my truck out weights my TT by 5k.

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Right now I am towing the 24K TT  with a 2012  Dodge 5500 and using the WD bars. It tows great on the flats, but down to 2nd gear and 30 MPH on the steep grades. I recently retired and ordered a new 2018 M2 114 Freightliner 36,300 GVWR with the DD13 450 HP . I figured this will solve that problem and I won't need the WD bars. Truck is due in October. The trailer tongue weight works out to 13.5%. Which so for has been ideal other than the "chucking" on segmented highways, which is the problem I was trying to solve.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

Don't paint with such a broad brush.  100% legal for me and many others.  No tax evasion involved.  Saves me a lot of money and hassle.  My home state still gets their annual property taxes.  Just because you don't want to do things that way doesn't mean it isn't completely legal and viable for others.

1 hour ago, Shifted said:

Don't paint with such a broad brush.  100% legal for me and many others.  No tax evasion involved.  Saves me a lot of money and hassle.  My home state still gets their annual property taxes.  Just because you don't want to do things that way doesn't mean it isn't completely legal and viable for others.

If a vehicle is garaged in a state (the state where you live) it is required to be registered in that state.  Every state that I have ever researched (which I will admit is not all 50, but is quite a few) has a law that requires this.  If you live in state A and keep your RV in state A, your RV must be registered in state A.  If you keep the RV outside of state A then you can have it registered somewhere else (like in an LLC).  This is pretty straight forward and easy law to research.  

I am not against LLC's.  I think under the right circumstances they can be beneficial.  However, when you live in one place and keep your RV in that same place and primarily use it there, it needs to be registered there.  

If you are a full timer with no permanent residence, then things are a little different.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

45 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

If a vehicle is garaged in a state (the state where you live) it is required to be registered in that state.  Every state that I have ever researched (which I will admit is not all 50, but is quite a few) has a law that requires this.  If you live in state A and keep your RV in state A, your RV must be registered in state A.  If you keep the RV outside of state A then you can have it registered somewhere else (like in an LLC).  This is pretty straight forward and easy law to research.  

I am not against LLC's.  I think under the right circumstances they can be beneficial.  However, when you live in one place and keep your RV in that same place and primarily use it there, it needs to be registered there.  

If you are a full timer with no permanent residence, then things are a little different.

That actually includes MN. I specifically looked at MN and state troopers have been targeting RV's with MT plates. People losing lawsuits, etc. I'm just not going to try it. I am probably going to wait until I move to ID where it is registered as a private truck, just like a pickup.

3 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Also see the video in post #2. There is a seat for four kids there.

Check out the member HDT pictures on the http://hhrvresource.com/member-trucks  and a search of this forum will get your more picture. Chad's popped up now when I did a search. 

My internet was going super slow so I didn't finish watching the video.

I have the photo pages opened up getting ideas right now, I will do a search for couch in a little bit.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

In your opinion.  And in your situation.  And for some other people.  That may be true.

It does not apply to me and my situation.  Just as each of us on here has a unique and one of a kind configuration, we also have unique registration requirements and situations.

So, don't assume that just because you have an opinion about a topic that it is the only and universally correct opinion.

Just as a small example, some states may "require" you to register, but they don't have a penalty for failure to register.  In effect, the law is unenforceable.  Strange, but true.

In other states, the penalty is far less than the cost of registering and they don't bother to enforce it.  And in the rare cases that they do, it never costs the owner enough to be a problem.

It isn't as cut and dry as you are making it out to be.  Just like the issue of whether an HDT can be registered as a private truck or a motorhome, or whether or not an owner/driver needs a CDL, or a version of it, in their home state.  There isn't a one size fits all solution for that, nor is there a one size fits all for the LLC versus local registration.  There are some states that it just won't fly, and other states where it makes a lot of sense.

6 hours ago, Goinbigger said:

That actually includes MN. I specifically looked at MN and state troopers have been targeting RV's with MT plates. People losing lawsuits, etc. I'm just not going to try it. I am probably going to wait until I move to ID where it is registered as a private truck, just like a pickup.

I couldn't find a news article on Minnesota, but I did find one on Wyoming:

http://lastbestnews.com/site/2015/04/tax-cheats-flock-to-montana-to-buy-tax-free-vehicles-rvs/

Definitely some exaggerated rhetoric in there and some misinformation.  But, it's the Internet and the news media.  It can be fun, but it's not always fact :)

Anyway, can we just agree that it doesn't legally work for some people and it does legally work for others?

4 hours ago, Shifted said:

In your opinion.  And in your situation.  And for some other people.  That may be true.

It does not apply to me and my situation.  Just as each of us on here has a unique and one of a kind configuration, we also have unique registration requirements and situations.

So, don't assume that just because you have an opinion about a topic that it is the only and universally correct opinion.

Just as a small example, some states may "require" you to register, but they don't have a penalty for failure to register.  In effect, the law is unenforceable.  Strange, but true.

In other states, the penalty is far less than the cost of registering and they don't bother to enforce it.  And in the rare cases that they do, it never costs the owner enough to be a problem.

It isn't as cut and dry as you are making it out to be.  Just like the issue of whether an HDT can be registered as a private truck or a motorhome, or whether or not an owner/driver needs a CDL, or a version of it, in their home state.  There isn't a one size fits all solution for that, nor is there a one size fits all for the LLC versus local registration.  There are some states that it just won't fly, and other states where it makes a lot of sense.

This will be my last post on this subject.  I am in law enforcement so I understand the law and the enforcement of it.  Nothing I have posted has been opinion.  I have posted facts.  It is not my opinion that a vehicle garaged in a state, owned by a resident of that state is required to be registered in that state.  That is law.  You even admit that the states "require" it.  The law is the law.  Just because a particular state doesn't go after or enforce certain violations doesn't mean that they are still not violations.  If you choose to violate the law, that is on you.  My only dog in this particular fight is to educate people about what the law is.  Take that knowledge and do what you want with it.  If you choose to violate the law, so be it.  I am not against using an LLC.  It can make sense in certain situations, however they are not applicable to everyone.

I am not sure why you bring up how an HDT is registered and what that has to do with the LLC issue.  HDT registration is a pretty black and white issue.  Some states allow motorhome registrations for HDT's, some states allow private truck registrations for HDT's and at least one state I am aware of only allows commercial registrations for HDT's.  It is pretty simple to find out what your particular state will allow and then do that.  In this case, it is one size fits all for everyone in the respective state.  These are two completely separate issues.

An LLC is about minimizing exposure.  That exposure can be to liability or to taxes or whatever.  It is not about registration.  Registration is just a byproduct of the LLC.  If you choose not to follow your states registration laws, just know there may be consequences.  Some states pursue those consequences more aggressively than others and some states don't pursue them at all.  Just because those states don't actively pursue violations doesn't mean that there still won't be consequences if you end up dealing with law enforcement for some other reason.

event.png    

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

This will be my last post on this subject.  I am in law enforcement so I understand the law and the enforcement of it.  Nothing I have posted has been opinion.  I have posted facts.  It is not my opinion that a vehicle garaged in a state, owned by a resident of that state is required to be registered in that state.  That is law.  You even admit that the states "require" it.  The law is the law.  Just because a particular state doesn't go after or enforce certain violations doesn't mean that they are still not violations.  If you choose to violate the law, that is on you.  My only dog in this particular fight is to educate people about what the law is.  Take that knowledge and do what you want with it.  If you choose to violate the law, so be it.  I am not against using an LLC.  It can make sense in certain situations, however they are not applicable to everyone.

I am not sure why you bring up how an HDT is registered and what that has to do with the LLC issue.  HDT registration is a pretty black and white issue.  Some states allow motorhome registrations for HDT's, some states allow private truck registrations for HDT's and at least one state I am aware of only allows commercial registrations for HDT's.  It is pretty simple to find out what your particular state will allow and then do that.  In this case, it is one size fits all for everyone in the respective state.  These are two completely separate issues.

An LLC is about minimizing exposure.  That exposure can be to liability or to taxes or whatever.  It is not about registration.  Registration is just a byproduct of the LLC.  If you choose not to follow your states registration laws, just know there may be consequences.  Some states pursue those consequences more aggressively than others and some states don't pursue them at all.  Just because those states don't actively pursue violations doesn't mean that there still won't be consequences if you end up dealing with law enforcement for some other reason.

I am glad that you will never post on this subject again.  Shew, some people just don't want to learn anything new, lol.

I am not a cop or a lawyer I am however a business owner with a USDOT number.   An LLC is a company by definition, that tells me that your LLC registered vehicle is a company asset.    The USDOT recognizes that companies may use their trucks for their own carriage not for hire, this in no way absolves a company from compling with DOT rules and if interstate adopting IRP and IFTA.    

That may save you some money when you buy your vehicle in a no tax state, registration may be lower as well.    I can tell you that having a DOT number compels you to carry commercial insurance at the federal minimums, IRP and IFTA cost depend on where and how often you travel to other states.    Even if you do operate under section 390.3 the personal use exemption you will need a CDL.     While an LLC may sound enticing, it is fraught with potential issues.   If you are pulled over in an LLC registered vehicle you may encounter a review of all the above mentioned or you may just be asked for the usual license, reg and, insurance.     The odds of getting one or the other?     Are you feeling lucky?      The unlucky will face a number of fines and an out of service order.

Steve   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you really want to discuss this topic, let's create a new thread, ok?  Because there is a lot of confusion on this topic, and I do have documentation and links to federal and state laws that show the legality of owning and operating a Class 8 truck for personal purposes with an LLC.  Which, by the way, is a pass through entity, not really the same thing as a corporation.  I just didn't want to overwhelm this thread with all of that documentation.

Then again, I do get that some people are dead set against the concept of an LLC for personal, non-commercial, purposes.  So, maybe discussing it isn't going to actually accomplish anything.

If you really want to discuss this topic, let's create a new thread, ok?  Because there is a lot of confusion on this topic, and I do have documentation and links to federal and state laws that show the legality of owning and operating a Class 8 truck for personal purposes with an LLC.  Which, by the way, is a pass through entity, not really the same thing as a corporation.  I just didn't want to overwhelm this thread with all of that documentation.

Then again, I do get that some people are dead set against the concept of an LLC for personal, non-commercial, purposes.  So, maybe discussing it isn't going to actually accomplish anything.

suggest you post it in the Resource Guide. If it straight forward and simple there should be nothing to discuss.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 8/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, Goinbigger said:

The montana LLC, is that not a problem proving you are not commercial? I have a buddy that lives in anaconda so an address wouldn't be a problem.

The OP asked about Montana LLC here ^

On 8/29/2017 at 10:30 AM, MoSKP9 said:

I very accurately weighed my tongue weight with the trailer level. If I don't use the WD hitch my tongue weight is 3,200 lbs. With the tongue raised up 1 inch higher than level the tongue weight goes up to 3,500 lbs.

I don't have an accurate way of weighing it with the WD bars on, but I am guessing it will be somewhat less. I don't need the WD bars as the Freightliner has self leveling air ride suspension and 23K rear axle.

I did speak with Don at Air Safe Hitch and he said that even their largest VIII Hitch could not handle the tongue weight as his air bag would not be able to lift it back to level. So unfortunately, I am going to have to live with the"Chucking" until if and when they can make a larger capacity one.

If your tongue weight is 3500lbs - your bumper tow trailer weighs 35000 lbs? (10% on tongue) 

Archived