New guy

Goinbigger

Sorry this might be a little long, I have quite a few questions.

I currently have a 2004 F350 SRW, crew cab, LWB with a flatbed on the back. About 2 months ago the wife and I bought a new 35' bumper pull with the intention of building a rack over the cab of my truck to carry our 14' side by side, on the flatbed with the front wheels over the cab.

Two days ago i got back from a month long trip (not carrying the side by side) had over $1000 in parts failures on the truck and averaged about 8mpg the whole trip. Left eastern MN to Mt. rushmore area where I rode dirt bike, then over by Butte, MT and went riding, lost boost pressure about 300 miles out in the middle of mountain passes. Had a new VGT pigtail and exhaust back pressure sensor installed in Butte. left the bike at my buddies house, picked up the wife and 3 kids in Spokane, spent a week around Sandpoint, ID then up to Revelstoke B.C. and Golden (absolutely beautiful) then back down to west glacier where I lost the starter. Got that fixed and headed back down to Butte and my buddies house before heading to Rushmore, then sioux falls, and finally back home. SO....

Now that I am back home I really want to sell my truck and get into an HDT, been reading non stop since I got back but still have quite a few questions since mine is going to be a bit different then a lot of yours and am having a hard time narrowing down my choices.

First a few things I am looking at, I need to have seating for myself, wife and 3 small children, flatbed or box to carry side by side or later maybe a jeep/buggy and maybe harley/dirt bikes, bicycles, pull our bumper pull trailer, keep total length as short as possible (already almost 60' with my truck), height as short as possible, and good turning radius.

Given those parameters, what would you choose to start with? I was originally thinking a COE, but read that the ride isn't very good.

Second, currently living in MN but looking at moving to Idaho in the next year. MN allows RV, but ID allows private truck. Should I buy one now, make it RV, or wait and just do private truck in Idaho? I read someone say the RV insurance was a lot less than private truck insurance.

Third, single it out or leave it dual? I would prefer to leave it dual for the extra traction, but worry about not having the weight you guys do with the big 5th's even if I build the bed heavy.

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Goinbigger said:

Sorry this might be a little long, I have quite a few questions.

I currently have a 2004 F350 SRW, crew cab, LWB with a flatbed on the back. About 2 months ago the wife and I bought a new 35' bumper pull with the intention of building a rack over the cab of my truck to carry our 14' side by side, on the flatbed with the front wheels over the cab.

Two days ago i got back from a month long trip (not carrying the side by side) had over $1000 in parts failures on the truck and averaged about 8mpg the whole trip. Left eastern MN to Mt. rushmore area where I rode dirt bike, then over by Butte, MT and went riding, lost boost pressure about 300 miles out in the middle of mountain passes. Had a new VGT pigtail and exhaust back pressure sensor installed in Butte. left the bike at my buddies house, picked up the wife and 3 kids in Spokane, spent a week around Sandpoint, ID then up to Revelstoke B.C. and Golden (absolutely beautiful) then back down to west glacier where I lost the starter. Got that fixed and headed back down to Butte and my buddies house before heading to Rushmore, then sioux falls, and finally back home. SO....

Now that I am back home I really want to sell my truck and get into an HDT, been reading non stop since I got back but still have quite a few questions since mine is going to be a bit different then a lot of yours and am having a hard time narrowing down my choices.

First a few things I am looking at, I need to have seating for myself, wife and 3 small children, flatbed or box to carry side by side or later maybe a jeep/buggy and maybe harley/dirt bikes, bicycles, pull our bumper pull trailer, keep total length as short as possible (already almost 60' with my truck), height as short as possible, and good turning radius.

Given those parameters, what would you choose to start with? I was originally thinking a COE, but read that the ride isn't very good.

Third, single it out or leave it dual? I would prefer to leave it dual for the extra traction, but worry about not having the weight you guys do with the big 5th's even if I build the bed heavy.

Thanks for any help.

I am on a similar quest myself, so can't answer your question with any authority, but

If you can make it to Hutchinson, Kansas Oct 8-14th you can see lots of samples of HDT/RVs and get all your questions on HDTs answered.  Sign up before Friday (Sept 1st) for a better rate and ...

http://nationalhdtrally.com/

There are also examples of families living FT with three or more kids

One here and may be at the rally!

I agree a trip to the HDT Rally in Hutchinson would serve you well.

Our 780 is probably too tall for what you are looking for, but it was used by a family of 6 (husband, wife, and 4 kids) before we bought it from them in 2011.  He had 4 sets of seat belts and the rear retention net installed in the work center/dinette area for the kids.  It was left dual for axle carrying capacity.  

It continues to serve us well.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

Awesome rigs, I am not sure if we will be able to make it to the rally though. My wife is a full time RN (don't always know what her schedule will be), we are remodeling our house, getting ready to sell it in preparation to move, looking for stuff out there, kids about to go back to school. Busy time right now.

For what it's worth, I have a Volvo 770 that I replaced the rear bed/workstation with a faux leather couch.  I have enough seat belts for four positions, but currently only have three belts installed.  I used a full length track for the seat belts, so I can easily add or move seat belts, or other attachments if I need a baby seat, etc.  Since I only removed the cabinet unit behind the passenger seat, it is very comfortable for two adults, and a little cramped for three due to the lack of leg room behind the driver's seat with the cabinet still in place.  Three kids, no problem at all.  If I needed more leg room, I could remove the cabinet behind the driver and be comfortable for up to four.

The height of the 770 won't meet your desire for "short as possible", but there are other models with shorter cab heights that you could easily put a couch into.

I pull a bumper pull trailer.  The trailer is 36' long.  I have an Airsafe hitch on the back which adds a little length but gives the trailer a smoother ride.

I have a heavy steel bed that I can haul just about any vehicle on.  The heaviest vehicle that I haul regularly on there is somewhere between 8k and 9k lbs.

With respect to registration, you may want to consider a Montana LLC.  100% legal, and you can move without having to worry about registration issues.  And it is far less expensive to do it yourself than other sites may suggest, even the ones linked to on here.  Very reasonable costs.

My truck is still a tandem axle with dual wheels.  Never any issues pulling the bumper pull trailer, even when the bed is empty and going up a steep gravel road.  It gives me a lot of flexibility.

Hi Goinbigger,

I can't really answer your questions but I would like to' Welcome You to the Forum'. Take your time and do some reading when you get some time on your side. Ask lots of questions. Everyone here will be more then willing to give you answers.

Wish you the best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Welcome. You definitely need to attend the rally in Hutch. that is where I started a few years ago and got Lots of ideas. Anyone you want to talk to will answer questions for you so don't be shy. It is worth the trip even if you can't stay for the entire rally.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi Goinbigger

I have a rig similar to what you are describing. I opted to go with a "Garage" rather than a flat bed as it gives me space for a full size, standup tool cabinet, an extra refrigerator, a boat, lots of storage, and a smart. I left it tandem because of the weights I anticipated to be carried. My current trailer is 36' and it's pulled with a Class VI Airsafe Hitch. That trailer is going away in three weeks to be  replaced by a new SpaceCraft, but it still will be a tag trailer, not a 5th wheel.

I do not haul kids around, but many others do including the Springfields in the video above.

I do highly recommend that you come to the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson. Even if you come by yourself for just a couple of days, the education is well worth it.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Welcome and may you acquire the knowledge you seek.  I, also like you, have a 2005 SRW lb F-350 that we used to pull our 18k heartland 4100 King to the Grand canyon and back to NC.  Blew a turbo in Durham 2 days there.  Alternator shot in Groom TX.  1 day there plus cost of rollback to get us to closest town Ford dealer.  EGR shot in Knoxville TN...smoking like a freight train for the next 300 miles through the Blue ridge Mountains with no bottom end on truck and no cruise control.  Finally made it home and because of Ford's wonderful idea of the 6.0 pos motor....yep you guessed it...blown head and ruptured oil cooler.  Total cost on this vehicle repairs for this two weeks trip...approx. $9500.  When a buddy of mine told me he wanted to sell his '97 Volvo WIA.  I jumped on it.  Real simple Detroit series 60 with no DEF or pollution control.  It's not as nice and quiet as the newer trucks but it gets the job down.

Best of luck on your decision.  OBTW...I ve kept the Ford and just use it for my main driver.  It don't pull nothing anymore but it sure is pretty to look at.

Being a bumper pull trailer, it really makes things a lot easier for you. 

Most here are trying to fit stuff on the truck bed and still be able to swing a 5R behind them.  Seating in the truck of your choice isn't a problem, just make it secure and safe. Lots of side windows is going to be a help for the kids. 

Thank you for all the replies.

I think I am going to be looking for a flat top or mid rise truck or at least be able to remove airfoil, leaving it dual, highest gearing I can find or even regear, lockers (first trip with this trailer was pulling it into a private, narrow unmaintained road for 4th of July offroading party), lot of truck yards around here in MN to find parts. preferably pre emission, somewhat shorter sleeper, thinking 16' of bed (enough for a jeep or buggy), what kind of total length am I looking at? Trying to keep it about 27ft. as my trailer is nearly 38ft. total. Is that length an issue for you guys? I think federal length limit is 75' but some states 65'?

For rear seating I didn't even consider a couch, I planned on adding 3 more air ride seats in the back. Maybe I am too concerned? I wanted to make sure they are strapped in at all times. Another reason i hate the thought of RV's.

The montana LLC, is that not a problem proving you are not commercial? I have a buddy that lives in anaconda so an address wouldn't be a problem.

Chief I feel for you, that's a nasty trip. Luckily when I bought my truck, I bought everything to bulletproof it, a week later I blew the head gaskets, I knew it was only a matter of time. But ever since it has been a pretty good truck, I rebuilt the FICM, replaced batteries, all the brakes, shocks, south bend dual disc clutch, and with the SCT tuner it has tons of power. I really hate to get rid of it since everything on it is brand new but I really don't drive it much other than hauling now and at 8mpg, it just doesn't make sense when I can get better mpg, brakes, ride, etc. with the HDT. It is an absolutely fun truck though. I have around 450 rwhp/ 900tq with the wild custom tune, even at nearly 10k lbs it will put a smile on your face when you put the pedal down and the turbo spools. I might get another one later but keep it lighter :)

sdixon, I thought about a garage style also, in some regards it would be great, but I think a built bed would serve my purposes better. Might even try to make some kind of cover that I could put on/take off.

Broncohauler, your picture isn't showing up? I absolutely plan on installing windows in the sleeper for the kids, as big as I can.

52 minutes ago, MoSKP9 said:

Could Shifted and sDixon747 please eloborated on the Air safe Hitch? Does it eliminate the "chucking" on segmented highways? I'm towing a 24K TT and it sometimes gets like PBR.

I am not one of them, but this is the style bumper pull airsafe hitch they are referring to.  It helps to cushion the bumper pull trailer from the tow vehicle.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thank you Chad. I went to that website and saw that the largest one that they have is a class VIII rated for a 30K trailer, which is what I would need. Even that one limits the tongue weight to 3,000 lbs. My TT Is right at that limit.  I'm guessing that it would add another foot or so to my 63' length.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

I'm currently using a 30K Torklift Magnum WD hitch. It also only has a 3K tongue rating, however, when the WD bars are used it transfers some of that tongue weight to the front axle and trailer axles so I'm under the rated max. It is a real solid ride, but on those segmented roads and bridges it's like PBR at thre rodeo!,

fnMLSAUl.jpg

10 hours ago, MoSKP9 said:

Thank you Chad. I went to that website and saw that the largest one that they have is a class VIII rated for a 30K trailer, which is what I would need. Even that one limits the tongue weight to 3,000 lbs. My TT Is right at that limit.  I'm guessing that it would add another foot or so to my 63' length.

So, that gives you 10% hitch weight..  Not a good thing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, Goinbigger said:

Trying to keep it about 27ft. as my trailer is nearly 38ft. total. Is that length an issue for you guys? I think federal length limit is 75' but some states 65'?

For rear seating I didn't even consider a couch, I planned on adding 3 more air ride seats in the back. Maybe I am too concerned? I wanted to make sure they are strapped in at all times. Another reason i hate the thought of RV's.

The montana LLC, is that not a problem proving you are not commercial? I have a buddy that lives in anaconda so an address wouldn't be a problem.

For me, length is just one factor.  The other one is maneuverability around corners.  And that is affected by three things: the truck's wheel base, where the pivot point between the truck and trailer is, and where the axles on the trailer are.  My truck is a 220" wheel base, so I can maneuver it just about anywhere without much difficulty.  The pivot point between the truck and trailer is about 6' behind the rear axle, so that causes the trailer to track much closer to the truck's path than a fifth wheel trailer would.  My trailer's axles are a little further back than I would like, so that causes it to cut inside of the truck's path a little bit.  My previous trailer was 31' long and had the axles further forward, and I could take the entire rig through very tight parking lots with no problem.

So, in some ways, a longer bed on your truck will actually make it much easier for you to maneuver the trailer, despite the longer length.  I've also found that cameras placed at the top forward corners of the trailer on either side help a lot.  They allow you to see down the entire length of the trailer.  And another one at the top of the rear of the trailer is very helpful for backing in.  With a little practice, I am able to use the cameras to get into some very difficult spots without using a spotter.

For the seating, I'm not suggesting that you don't have seat belts :)  Definitely put those in!  But the couch offers a lot of flexibility, and it is plenty comfortable.  Anyone who has ridden on it in my truck has said that it is more comfortable than a regular car by far.  Just make sure that the seatbelts and the couch are properly secured to the truck so that they won't go anywhere in an accident.

With respect to the Montana LLC, it's never been a problem for me so far and I am very confident that it never will be.  I am 100% legal in all respects.  As long as there are no "commercial uses" in play.  There have been other discussions on this topic so we probably shouldn't rehash it in this thread.  But I am happy to provide more information on it in private messaging if it would be helpful to you.

Archived