Thoughts for those in Texas

Barbaraok

Watched as the eye wall went over Rockport.  We have so many found memories of that area.  Hope the "Big Oak Tree" at Goose Island survives.  Hope everyone that needed to get out, got out.  The predictions for rain and truly frightening.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Just watched the latest reports here on Dallas TV. They say that there has been some damage as far in as Houston by winds and tornadoes. Just getting light enough to see much now but reports of rain are the highest in the area of Katy (near I-10) where they report 12"+ as of 7am.  So far the only impact on the areas along I-20 have been cloudy weather. Latest predictions are in the 1 - 3" range of rain. I have seen no reports from Livingston as yet, but the heaviest rain has not reached them yet. It looks like flooding will be the major issue for that area.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/25/2017 at 10:07 PM, Barbaraok said:

Watched as the eye wall went over Rockport.  We have so many found memories of that area.  Hope the "Big Oak Tree" at Goose Island survives.  Hope everyone that needed to get out, got out.  The predictions for rain and truly frightening.

Barb

Texas Parks and Wildlife has just posted a picture of "The Big Tree" and it looks like it survived intact. Some of the smaller (but not small...) oaks in the lot are down, but Big Tree survived!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The latest from Escapee News is here. 

Important Announcement

Escapees Office Closed

First, thank you all for your ongoing inquiries into the safety of our staff, residents and guests at Escapees headquarters, CARE and Rainbow’s End in Livingston, Texas. We are thankful to report that we are safe and mostly dry.

However, due to the flooding and other damage in the Houston area, we are unable to receive USPS trucks at headquarters until Thursday at the earliest. This means no incoming or outgoing mail for our mail service members.

In the interest of keeping our staff out of harm’s way, we are closing the office for the remainder of today as well as tomorrow. We have tentative plans to re-open on Wednesday, August 30th. Please stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter accounts for the latest updates as the weather changes.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The rain is relentless.  We had 14" from 3 am to noon today and it's still pouring down.  Homes which have never had water in their yard, now have it in the house.  And, we've still got at least 24 more hours of heavy rain expected.

I'll never doubt the story of Noah again.  :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Trucks, HDTs, cars. There is a semi trailer flooted down the byou and banged into the bridge here at the park we in. Still there too. My job is saying maybe Tuesday return. Already housing contractors are calling the park and making reservations. Food is in demand. Stores can't get trucks here. We still good but our coffee will run out tomorrow. This is serious. Lol. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

47 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Trucks, HDTs, cars. There is a semi trailer flooted down the byou and banged into the bridge here at the park we in. Still there too. My job is saying maybe Tuesday return. Already housing contractors are calling the park and making reservations. Food is in demand. Stores can't get trucks here. We still good but our coffee will run out tomorrow. This is serious. Lol. 

I was thinking of going down to Houston after a friend's wedding to help out for a couple of months.  And then I thought, the campgrounds will be full from locals and contractors. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 8/27/2017 at 4:06 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

Thread from another RV forum -

"Texas forum members......"

Posters indicate "Pioneer Trailer Park" at Port Aransas is 100% destroyed - confirmed by the Police Chief and Mayor.

The "before" pics look like it was a nice park.

Reports of this park's "death" were premature.

We stayed at Pioneer RV Park this March, and saw what Harvey did to the park.

However, we've been hearing from a couple who were parked next to us at Pioneer last March. He's an EMT and had to remain in the area, so he's been keeping up on the recovery. All the overturned RVs shown in the video above have been righted and the park should be open for business as soon as the rest of the infrastructure returns . . . whenever that will be.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

A special digital edition of the Rockport Pilot gives a snapshot of the devastation along with some hope.

http://www.rockportpilot.com/e-edition/page_cef487e9-3649-51ff-af5d-bb8a64ab0f78.html

We are scheduled to be the volunteer bird hosts at Goose Island State Park again this year in November, December, and January. We haven't heard anything (and don't expect to for a while) but I doubt that the park will be open for a while. Perhaps we can help with repairs. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The last thing the affected area of TX needs right now is an influx of people to further strain what remains of the infrastructure. A neighbor worked in LA for 6 months after hurricane Katrina rebuilding/building housing. He said that volunteer organization told him to stay home until they notified him.

What is sorely needed is money to keep food banks stocked. A person can survive without a change of clothes, but no drinking water or food is a life or death matter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived